What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

@Mr_Happy I have wondered about the mock meats for fried rice! Nice to see they work.

I will add that the Colombus turkey bacon from Costco makes a fabulous fried rice.

1 Like

So my days have been all jumbled of late. I spent the weekend thinking that today/Monday was May 17th, which was my dad’s birthday. I had planned to cook one of his favorite meals in memoriam, and of course, have a martini. So this morning, I was doing some work on the computer and noticed that today was actually the 16th! Oh well, I guess we will just have to celebrate today instead. So we had Chicken Schnitzel with mushroom gravy and German potato salad. It was delicious. I just wish he was here to enjoy it. This June will be five years since he passed. Some days it seems like it happened just yesterday while sometimes it feels like a lifetime ago. I miss him dearly just the same. Cheers, and happy birthday, dad.

29 Likes

That Jägerschnitzel looks scrumptious!

4 Likes

My bestie arrived in Berlin & is staying with me for a few days. Took her to a cute lil tapas place down the road from us. We split aioli con pan, patatas mojo (verde/rojo), Spanish tortilla, gambas al ajillo, and eggplant baked with cheese. twas all very filling.

Came home and drank WAY too much wine & martini with a new-to-me Bavarian gin. Feeling it today. Yikes.

17 Likes

Happy birthday to your papa! That time warp is for real. Hugs to you!

3 Likes

H Mart meal: marinated chicken thighs, shrimp, banchan (anchovies, radish, perilla), rice, random slaw I threw together. With soju and hite.

26 Likes

Chicken verde pozole - chicken thighs, poblanos, serranos, tomatillos, red onion, and garlic in the slow cooker until the chicken was tender. A rinsed can of hominy added in the last half hour. In addition to checking for salt, the resulting stew was balanced with some Worcestershire sauce and fresh lime juice before serving. Hot sauce for those who wanted it.

18 Likes

I picked up some Nduja from a charcuterie up in the city. While I enjoy this most spread on crackers or toast, I’ve seen it used in pasta and stuck some in today into a simple sauce consisting of just tomatoes + nduja + salt + pecorino. (2 oz nduja + small can of toms + 1/2 pack of pasta)

It was delicious, a bit like an Amatriciana but spicier, richer and more intense.

23 Likes

That sounds and looks wonderful. I need to make it!
BTW, are you south of San Francisco? I’ve always called SF “the city”, but most people don’t know what I’m talking about. We moved to Sausalito in 1963, and everyone called it that then.

1 Like

Unattractive but delicious methi lamb served over coriander roasted cauliflower. Simple recipe from 660 Curries - just browned onion, garlic and ginger buzzed into a paste with garam masala, turmeric and tomato paste. Lamb shoulder chunks get marinated briefly in yogurt, then browned and stewed in the paste with frozen methi until tender.

18 Likes

That looks so good. I love pozole, especially verde.

2 Likes

Pan-roasted pork chops with Penzey’s Galena Street rub. Smashed spuds, baby peas and applesauce on the side.

Peas from the garden, and apples put up from our trees last fall.

22 Likes

Julia Child’s coq au vin, pulled from the freezer. BF didn’t dish up all the delicious wine sauce with the noodles, which i discovered in the pan only after we finished! Sad! But he made a really good wilted spinach salad of his own invention - minced shallots and garlic heated in olive oil, poured over fresh spinach which was then tossed and tossed with s&p and lemon zest. Nice and fresh tasting.

23 Likes

I live in San Francisco (Mission District) and we still call it the City (as in, we’re going into the City), but I remember after i moved here from L.A. (almost 30 years ago), my cousin, who lives in So. Cal., outside of L.A., was calling L.A. “The City.” i was all whaaa?

6 Likes

just gorgeous!

I’ve been craving boxed Mac & Cheese since @Olunia started the Mac and Cheese thread

Here is my Annie’s Aged Cheddar and Shells Tuna Casserole, featuring fancy tuna from the Azores, cremini, celery, green onion, dill and parm regg.

15 Likes

Carnitas tacos with tomatillo and avocado salsa, and black beans.

20 Likes

Yep, I live south of SF.

The Italian market near us sells nduja, but it’s almost a kilo. Not sure I can use it up fast enough, much as I would like to buy some - especially as it’s impossible to find back home.

Last night’s meal was lovely fresh fettuccine tossed with local white & green asparagi, pancetta, and a few oyster shrooms that needed to be used up. Sweat a finely diced shallot in olive oil & butter, added the pancetta and shrooms, splash of rosé, sploosh of cream, fresh parsley, s&p et voila: dinner was served. I’d blanched the asparagi in advance, so they just needed to be tossed in at the end to heat through. Really lovely, seasonal meal. Side was arugula with lemon oil, s&p and grated parm. Simples, as @Harters likes to put it :slight_smile:

24 Likes