What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Thank you. I am going to try this.

1 Like

In the western hemisphere, I know its popular amongst the Brits, French and Spanish but I seldom see it features in North American menu?! I only saw it once and that was in Frilu - a Nordic/Japanese fusion restaurant in Toronto!

Thank you. We were in HomeGoods and they were too outrageous to pass up!

1 Like

Tonight’s Thai food in the hood.

Shared the Supercilious Skin (crispy chicken skin sautéed with tamarind sauce, cashews, pineapple, cherry tomatoes, water chestnuts and Thai basil)

Karma Carla (crispy salt & pepper calamari with scallions, crispy garlic, Thai chile & house sauce)

In Pork we trust tacos (grilled lemongrass pork, iceberg, mint, chopped peanuts, crispy onions, cilantro, chili-lime sauce)

and Ducking Delicious (lab ped).

The lab was probably the best dish of them all, but everything was good. I do prefer my Thai food a lil punchier (as in MOAR heat, more acid, more salt) like we get at the Thai park, and none of the dishes would make me return. Drinks were a tasty Prenzlauer Mule for me, and a freshly draught Warsteiner for my companion.

Martinis in our spiffy new glasses at home for dessert :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was old an school hamburger casserole. A little ground beef with zucchini, tomato, onion, green pepper, celery, and tomato with a little dried basil for good measure. Rice on the side. Rosee on the side.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Cumin Lamb

Georgian Lobio there are some recipes in this thread: Beans, beans, beans…. (bean and walnut stew)

And veg with oyster sauce & mirin.

And maroulosalata.

18 Likes

I brined a chicken in salted buttermilk (and ranch mix and lemon pepper), dusted it with Spicewalla’s honey-herb rub, and roasted over CSA beets and turnip. Braised CSA mustard greens on the side (what’s the most appetizing way to prepare these?) and garden spinach, of which I may never tire.

19 Likes

Mmmmm I’m strong to the finish cuz I eat me spinach. Love spinach! https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=popeye+the+sailor+man&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSpecial%3AFilePath%2FPopeye_the_Sailor.png#id=-1&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSpecial%3AFilePath%2FPopeye_the_Sailor.png&action=click

1 Like

Filet of wagyu beef on the grill. Garden asparagus.

22 Likes

Tonight was an asparagus risotto, made with asparagus broth from many woody ends of asparagus that I had collected this year and last. Also pork tenderloin cutlets, in a wine and chicken broth gravy.

21 Likes

Looks really good!

1 Like

The amount of butter, cream, and cheese added were not insubstantial :slight_smile: But I had to feed my kid well - he is taking an AP in the morning!

6 Likes

Yes, understand! I’m sure he appreciates the effort. I haven’t eaten yet and it is hunger-inducing. We’re having pork too, in gravy and with asparagus. Mashed taters too. Pics to follow. Re: your son, fat and protein fuel the brain well.

1 Like

He cleaned his plate, we did some flashcards (it’s World History), then he took a shower to relax and is now doing some version of the wordles he has addicted me to. Sorry bad grammar. There is an octordle that is 8 words at once, and I can’t stop.

6 Likes

I had a late lunch so I wasn’t very hungry. A simple shrimp salad with Louie dressing.

24 Likes

Well good luck to the young one - I’m sure he’ll do very well!

3 Likes

A day’s worth of broccoli (garlic, red onion) with leftover mustard salmon and quinoa-rice.

The broccoli was really delicious.

20 Likes

Rice, spicy cucumber, sogogi doenjang-jjigae

21 Likes

Love the asparagus broth idea. Linda Whit gave me the idea to save corn cobs for a cheering broth in darkest winter and a promise that corn season would eventually come.

3 Likes

Your family is so lucky! I think of you as the queen of entree salads but you really do it all!