What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

We really like them! Haven’t been disappointed with any of their roasts or chops so far!

2 Likes

That.
Looks.
AMAZING!

3 Likes

The offal-shy should scroll on past…

We had a throwback to an old neighbor tonight – Bheja Chutney ie brain cooked in green chutney. This is actually served as a breakfast dish in Muslim restaurants and homes (like our neighbors when I was growing up, which is now we learned to enjoy it) in Mumbai.

(Sis loves it but can’t bear the visual, so she mashes it up. I… dissociate the dish and the concept, as with other things.)

A rare treat.

13 Likes

I would try that in a heart beat!

1 Like

You would have no idea what it was, as I did not when I ate most such things :joy:

(Often made into “cutlets” ie croquettes though — so people who may be skeeved out by the visual can still enjoy the deliciousness… kinda like breaded sweetbreads.)

3 Likes

Roasted bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, seasoned with garlic, rosemary and fennel. Doctored up a can of Jacob’s cattle beans with onion, garlic and baby bell. Salad of mixed greens, avocado, radish, celery, green onion, creamy Greek dressing. A glass of hard cider.

17 Likes

Uzbeki plov with lamb. Roasted butternut squash. Horrible lighting.

21 Likes

What kind of brains…lamb?
I am a hematologist so can’t fathom the idea of eating bone marrow even though so many people rave about it. Not good at dissociation apparently.

3 Likes

The lighting makes me think you’re enjoying dinner on your porch on a nice sunny evening!

4 Likes

It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted here, but I’m cooking more than ever and trying new things. For dinner, I cooked up a somewhat irreverent paella using sausage as the only meat.

Without seafood in the picture tonight, I used a chicken-ham stock I had on hand to keep it as flavorful as possible.

This is only my second time making paella, but I regularly make all sorts of flavored rices, so it wasn’t all that different except for the higher liquid:rice ratio and cooking uncovered.

I used Matiz brand paella rice but would like to try bomba rice after this bag is done.

The process is pretty standard… I made a sofrito by cooking onions/peppers/garlic until a jam like consistency before finishing with smoked paprika and tomato paste. It’s pretty similar to my Indian curry bases in that I’m building flavor by deeply cooking down aromatics over low heat.

3:1 liquid to rice ratio by weight is a good starting point - 250g rice + 750-800g stock is about what I used. But honestly, this will vary a bit from rice to rice with better rices being more tolerant of too much water than others.

Good homemade stock is a must! At a bare minimum, chicken stock but better yet is a prawn stock or a combination of the two.

Besides that, I used a normal 12" skillet over my largest gas burner, shifting the pan around to make sure the edges got bubbling action. The paella is done when the liquid is gone, about 25-30 mins. Then, like any other rice dish, let it rest covered for 10 mins to finish absorbing liquid before serving.

24 Likes

Two of my favorite things! Thanks for posting the recipe.

1 Like

I wish! Daytime temps are barely breaking 50 degrees, but hope is on the horizon. :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome back, and holy hell - nice re-entry into WFD! That sausage paella looks amazing!

7 Likes

I am getting so inspired by all of these posts! Thank you to all!

Last night I made a baked ziti recipe that I have made and liked in the past. I cut the recipe by half because I am only cooking for 2. Halve all ingredients except red pepper and basil. I used fire roasted crushed tomatoes instead of regular. Also used rigatoni instead of ziti because I like the ridges:

This came together really quickly for a weeknight :slight_smile: I couldn’t find whole milk mozzarrella, so I just used part skim and it was fine.

13 Likes

Please share more details on the plov. I love that!

1 Like

To all the newbies: I’m so glad you’re here! We’ve loved our little dinner group here for so long, but it’s exciting to have new voices and tastes in the mix. Yay!

12 Likes

Last night I made cheeseburger calzones, served up with sauteed mushrooms and a green salad with Thousand Island dressing. The calzones were really good - I had the second for breakfast. (Our 4-yo kiddo even ate one!)

22 Likes

We ate late last night sorry no photos from Chinese takeout because we devoured it as soon as it came in the house. It was So Good. These are this evenings offerings.
Possibly may even have enough leftovers for Saturday evening!

19 Likes

Didn’t bother posting photos of my main, beef cut for stir-fry marinated in red wine with Georgian spice blend Khmeli Suneli (dill, savoury, bay, blue fenugreek, etc) , onion and coriander , then fried in a skillet.

A beet, apple, pickle, dill and sour cream salad based on Finnish Rosolli (but no potato or carrot ) and perogies.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was linguine with roasted peppers. Sorry about the out of focus picture…

15 Likes