What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

beautiful!

1 Like

oh wow, looks great! i need to check out Snake River chops, I’ve only had their steaks so far (I think.)

now THAT is a thing of beauty!

Tonight, we had Basmati rice with pork stew and a side of sauteed mushrooms and red peppers.

20 Likes

Okonomiyaki - batter made with AP flour, corn starch. dashi, shredded napa cabbage and green onions. Topped with ground pork (cooked with ginger and soy sauce), green onions, mayonnaise, hot sauce, shredded nori and bonito flakes

16 Likes

French charcuterie and cheese plate for dinner - a piece of Saint Agur cheese (yum!), pork rillettes inspired by this thread, baguette, cornichons, coarse grain mustard, and broccolini and tomato with a mustardy vinaigrette. And wine :clinking_glasses:

25 Likes

Not much difference from last weeks . Chicken with potatoes and carrots. Gorgeous day here at 72 degrees. Spring time, daylight savings time . Broke out the grill . Brined chicken thighs on the grill . A little herbs de provance under the skin with duck fat and grey poupon mustard. Grilled . Its spring. Cheers . Along with my typical mashed potatoes and carrots.

23 Likes

I know–it’s so much energy to spend all day out of the house now. Fortunately no one cares where I am most days of the week so I can work at home a lot. We were never very good at weekend meal prep but it would be a great habit to cultivate–will keep trying I guess.

2 Likes

Black eyed peas and greens (which I grew!) cooked in the pressure cooker, based on this recipe with a lobe of jalapeno cornbread. Satisfying!

23 Likes

Ohhhh Mr. Happy… You always come through.

3 Likes

Thank you! It was fun to make too!

Nice! I have the Lidia version in my freezer and plan to finish it up for Thursday’s dinner this week.

1 Like

We really like them! Haven’t been disappointed with any of their roasts or chops so far!

2 Likes

That.
Looks.
AMAZING!

3 Likes

The offal-shy should scroll on past…

We had a throwback to an old neighbor tonight – Bheja Chutney ie brain cooked in green chutney. This is actually served as a breakfast dish in Muslim restaurants and homes (like our neighbors when I was growing up, which is now we learned to enjoy it) in Mumbai.

(Sis loves it but can’t bear the visual, so she mashes it up. I… dissociate the dish and the concept, as with other things.)

A rare treat.

13 Likes

I would try that in a heart beat!

1 Like

You would have no idea what it was, as I did not when I ate most such things :joy:

(Often made into “cutlets” ie croquettes though — so people who may be skeeved out by the visual can still enjoy the deliciousness… kinda like breaded sweetbreads.)

3 Likes

Roasted bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, seasoned with garlic, rosemary and fennel. Doctored up a can of Jacob’s cattle beans with onion, garlic and baby bell. Salad of mixed greens, avocado, radish, celery, green onion, creamy Greek dressing. A glass of hard cider.

17 Likes

Uzbeki plov with lamb. Roasted butternut squash. Horrible lighting.

21 Likes

What kind of brains…lamb?
I am a hematologist so can’t fathom the idea of eating bone marrow even though so many people rave about it. Not good at dissociation apparently.

3 Likes