What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Couscous salad with sautéed diced chicken breast, dates, red onion, garlic, pine nuts, feta, fresh mint, lemon thyme, cinnamon, harissa and white balsamico

9 Likes

Nicoise! A nice break from heavier winter food.

13 Likes

Here’s a speedy version of chicken tortilla soup that I made to repurpose leftover chicken from a takeout meal.

Sautéed onions and carrots, a handful of tomatoes that needed using, cumin, and chipotle powder. Poured in a box of chicken stock after the veggies were soft. I added a couple of handfuls of Trader Joe’s fire-roasted frozen corn. Then diced two small corn tortillas so they’d dissolve into the broth for flavor. The leftover chicken, shredded and coarsely chopped, went in at the end until heated through.

Cilantro and lime juice to finish would have been nice—but we had neither. So only chunks of avocado to garnish.

15 Likes

That sounds right up my alley.

1 Like

Thanks for the pizza link!

1 Like

Unfortunately for many of you the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Actually, I haven’t been posting much because after a very “covidy”-holiday season, compounded by a late January snowstorm of 15+inches - I had to get out of dodge for a while.

Sunny Florida was the destination and here is an overview of some of the better meals I’ve had while away.

(really does suck to be back in NJ) lol
Regards

Singer Island - West Palm Area HELP !!! - Regional Dining Discussions / New Jersey - Hungry Onion

7 Likes

Its on my Instagram story if you really want to see it!

I love that you need warming food in mid 50s weather. I dream of that weather. We are at least 2 wks away from having a daytime high of 55. These days an avg high of 45 is the norm.

2 Likes

Last night - miso salmon, garlic broccoli, and sesame we maifun. Wasn’t crazy about the salmon - fished and frozen by my FIL. Kind fishy, and very lean. A meh meal for me.

11 Likes

Bummer - it looks so good. I’m curious where he caught it. Or do you think it’s due to his handling of the fish?

I finally made gigantes plaki from a bag of dried Greek beans that were languishing in a kitchen cabinet.

My favorite way to serve this is with a lightly dressed green salad.

Some of the beans have to overlap the greens. And there must be bruschetta on the side. These are the rules at my house. Of course at your house, you get to make your own rules.

13 Likes

Chicken Diane, when I saw this recipe I thought it sounded familiar, maybe someone
made it recently? it was delicious. Served with asparagus, salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, pickled beets, onion and ranch dressing.

15 Likes

i know, all my east coast friends play tiny violins whenever i complain about being cold in CA, but I can’t help it! my feet and nose literally never warmed up all day yesterday. boo hoo, i know, i know… :slightly_smiling_face:

plus, when they counter with what cold REALLY is, i always respond, “Well who told you to live there??” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

seriously, i would cry and cry all day long if i lived where some of you people live - i’m soft, i admit it!

3 Likes

Fridge clean-out for another brown meal: cabbage, onions/shallots, and carrot, all cooked low and slow until caramelized, with a little nutmeg and dry Sherry. Made gravy with some of the caramelized onions, Mushroom BTB, and minced fresh thyme. Schaller & Weber Weisswurst, and the BF’s mashed potatoes. Sausages were delish, the gravy was even better, and I don’t normally love gravy. Cabbage mix was really good, nice & sweet.

15 Likes

I’m a west coaster like you, but in WA state up by the border. The nice thing about our temperature is that it doesn’t fluctuate much. East coasters and midwesters will have a 60 day followed by a 20 day. That does not happen here ever. Otoh, we moved up from SoCal, and we came up to look around in June (years ago) and froze our tuches off. But as with everyplace, one acclimates. Just joshing you a little out of jealousy. This winter weather not only goes on and on, but with covid, it makes it extremely hard to see people safely i.e. outdoors.

4 Likes

Exactly . I find the California fog colder than snow . I remember watching a night game at candlestick. Worse than being stalled on a ski lift during a snow storm.

6 Likes

Squash ravs with sage butter. Scarfed before a photo could be taken. But also, they were not the prettiest, so I didn’t try too hard. 2 different shapes of wonton wrappers :slight_smile: Filling of kabocha, s&p, sauteed shallots, nutmeg, egg, parm. Filled in a most novice way. So much so that I was afraid they’d burst in water. Instead, I put them in a large saute pan with a 1/2" of stock in the bottom and covered them for 3 min per round. Sort of a braise? Anyway, tasty good. Everything is better with butter!

10 Likes

Quick and easy tonight, making use of what’s on hand. Flatbread with ham, potatoes, black olives, Swiss cheese, and delectable hot honey produced by a local farm.

14 Likes

i know, most people who tease me about it wish, at least in part, that they were in my shoes. no offense taken! i came from So. Cal. too, over 20 years ago, and i came running from the heat, but it’s still cold for me at times.

your WA winters are pretty brutal, too, for me… i have a good friend that lives there, on the coast, but she just loves gloomy/cool weather.

1 Like

Gloomy cool makes one appreciate the sun that much more, and it keeps things gloriously green around here. All my trips back to socal I feel I need to run around with a watering can. We’ve visited the bay area a dozen times over the years - it’s delightful there. But yes, you have your cold, damp weather to contend with. And of course the ridiculous costs of housing. But so much good food!!!

2 Likes