What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

New February edition is here - sorry for the delay!

2 Likes

Those look great, but i share in the BF’s chagrin :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It was so tempting to fry. But we’ve been good at hitting the gym the last two months and have lost some weight, so I have been really pushing to bake/air fry more. I won’t give up my nightly liquid calorie intake, so gotta save somewhere!

2 Likes

My turn to thank you for some inspiration. Made this for the BF tonight:

Stuffed my own little Goya olives with some leftover capers. Since he loves salty/briney, he enjoyed. I didn’t try one, though.

Thanks for that!

6 Likes

Precisely. These patties immediately shrink when hitting the hot pan. The thinner you can make them before cooking, the better shape retention they have. My method, back some 40 years, was to roll them to quarter inch thickness between sheets of wax paper, forming thin 6" patties, then carefully transferring them onto hot griddle/cast iron pan, immediately releasing them with a spatula, reflattening, flipping, done.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Moved to Feb thread

1 Like

My pleasure. And yeah they are definitely salty/briney.

1 Like

You’ll never look back. (But they’re not capers.)

2 Likes

Interesting!

One of my favorite restaurants (and not only because it’s very close to our cabin) is the Peekamoose in Big Indian, NY. Their signature martini is garnished with caper berries. It’s also made with vodka, which I sub out for gin. Another fave of mine is the tomolive, a pickled green grape tomato. The first place I had those was in the Temple Bar on Lafayette St. in Manhattan (which closed, and then recently opened, but I’m not going back 'cause it doesn’t seem the same). They served an Old South martini. Here, let me fill up your pantry with this stuff:

6 Likes

I always try to make the thinnest patties on earth for my burgers. I like them so much better than the thick ones.

2 Likes

I like both, fat ones are good for a good medium rare.

7 Likes

Here’s what I was readlast week.

From ATK

And

6 Likes

Thank you for this info! And I have friends that swear by Tomolives.

2 Likes

I like twin super-thin patties on a bun, and thick rare hockey pucks as “stand alone”, no bun,

1 Like

Thanks. Mr Bean is always looking for info on the place of origin, history, etc. The family lore leaves a bit to be desired. We currently use the bottom section for beach towels but that may have to change if he keeps collecting liquor at the current pace.

1 Like

Very interesting. I’m going to be on the lookout for those. Or, maybe I can pickle our leftover cherry tomatoes that don’t ripen before it gets too cold next year.

I’ve made them using this recipe (minus all the safe canning stuff, 'cause I refrigerate them):

Pickled Tomatoes from Lou Deasy

Brine: 1/2 c table salt
1 qt. each Heinz white pickling vinegar and water

Into each jar add 2 cloves garlic and 1/4 tsp peppercorns and mustard seed. Add brine and process as usual for 10 minutes. Cool and check for seals. Makes enough brine for 8 jars, a full rack in a standard canning kettle.

2 Likes

Thank you sooooo much!