What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

yeah, that’s why she took the Moderna, because we’ve heard it’s better. The BF, however, had his original vaccines of Moderna, and just got his booster of Moderna, and had no side effects at all besides a sore arm. glad you’re better!

2 Likes

Last night: ham, roasted cherry tomatoes, sour cream mashed potatoes with TPSTOB, peas.

Tonight: ham, roasted carrots and potatoes, braised endive. Yes, I did. I bought a ham. I know, I know…

14 Likes

Decadent Chantilly Mashed Potatoes, from a recipe of Chef John’s (almost a stick of butter, buttermilk, two kinds of cheese, and whipped heavy cream). Fabulous and worthy of any holiday table. (Hey, it’s the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and the day before December! :roll_eyes:)

Also, marbre steaks from our Frenchy butcher, and asparagus, for the green of it.

16 Likes

Beef and scallion stir fry over Jasmine rice. The kitchen looks like a bomb went off but this was f—in’ amazing. Recipe available through Woks of Life, though I doubled the amount of scallions and it still was not enough. I would probably quadruple next time.

And because there weren’t enough scallions, Trader Joe’s scallion pancakes (via air fryer) for good measure. Some Lao Gan Ma chili crisp for dipping/spooning because, well, that’s also f—in’ amazing!

To drink: not one but TWO Bombay Gin Martinis!

14 Likes

Thai Curry Noodles with chicken thighs, tofu, bean sprouts, rice noodles - the recipe for this curry was interesting as it used red and yellow curry paste as well as curry powder in coconut-chicken broth and light brown sugar and fish sauce. Finished with peanuts, egg, cilantro and fried shallots

14 Likes

Turkey stroganoff from a kit, doctored up with sour cream, Montreal Seasoning, and a bit of beef bouillon.

10 Likes

I’ve started the December thread here:

2 Likes

Can you share the recipe? I’ve tried to wing something like this before with limited success.

Mix some vegetable oil, 1/2 cup coconut cream and 1 TBSP red curry paste and 2 TBSP yellow curry paste for 2 minutes until aromatic. Add 1.5 lb chicken thighs (cut in thin strips) and coat with curry paste for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 TBSP light brown sugar, 3 TBSP fish sauce, one can coconut milk and 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes and add 8 oz extra-firm tofu (sliced in thin strips) and 2 TSP curry powder and mix. Put curry mixture on lowest heat to keep warm.
Add 10 oz mung bean sprouts to pot with boiling water and blanch for 15 seconds and immediately remove with skimmer. Add 8 oz thin dried rice noodles to boiling water and cook according to package direction. Drain noodles and add with bean sprouts, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, 1/2 chopped peanuts to curry mixture. Adjust seasoning with lime juice, salt, fish sauce and sugar. Serve with crispy shallots and hard boiled egg

3 Likes

I’ve never used and don’t have coconut cream. I always make my Thai curries with only canned coconut milk plus curry, flavoring. Would you say it’s important to the dish texture or taste? Would a regular cream sub in ok? Thanks!

I am not sure where you live but here in the Bay Area you get coconut cream next to the coconut milk in supermarkets quite easily. If you can’t get it easily just open a coconut milk can which you haven’t shaken/moved for quite sometime and just skim the thicker cream on top as your coconut cream.

2 Likes

It’s helpful to put it in the fridge or freezer for some time to help separate and congeal the fats.

1 Like

Pocky! They bring back pleasant memories.

1 Like

That looks just gorgeous.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #76 - the HO “Ho, Ho, Ho” Edition - December 2021

Thank you!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #76 - the HO “Ho, Ho, Ho” Edition - December 2021

I was 15 she was 14!

1 Like

Thank you!

Making this again and this was useful.