What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

I used to do a lot of cross rib roasts. I would do them in the grill, very hot, crusty outside and med rare. They were always very good. Haven’t done one in a long time though.

1 Like

Maybe slice it really thin for French dips? Or hot beef sandwich?

2 Likes

I also used a bit of cheese in the filling. I read in a dif recipe it was helpful to keep the package glued together.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

Oops, I missed this. Happy birthday, belatedly, to Mrs. P! Looks like you celebrated with a great meal!

2 Likes

Thanksgiving thread is on!

5 Likes

Cottage pie?

2 Likes

Beef curry - Indian or Thai

You can slice it super thin and serve it cold with tonnato sauce (plus cherry tomatoes, capers).

Me too. Wishing Mrs. P a sensational new year!

3 Likes

Back from my weekend in Arnold, CA. Weather was perfect, high 60s, sunny and bright. First night was pretty snacky, my two tortillas, charcuteria, trout dip, cheeses, rustic Tartine and As Kneaded sourdough loaves and an Acme baguette, my zhoug, someone made a pesto pasta salad, and a tuna fish ceviche that I used to make forever ago. Hostess made a bean stoup. Lots of bubbles and white negronis our first night.

Next day someone made two kinds of scones, and we noshed on leftover snacky stuff. Went to the town of Murphy, where I did some damage at a local spice shop, and had some beers at a local brewery. Back home, late lunch of Costco bacon mushroom sausages (my new absolute favorite sausages, they were so incredibly juicy), wrapped them in bacon and grilled. Someone made a cowboy bean stew with fake ground beef, which was totally delicious. More snacky stuff and vino. Walked to the distillery for tasting of whiskey and cocktails. Dinner that night was Costco marinated shawarma chicken, grilled, air fryer falafels, pita, hummus, raita, more sausages, shrimp, pearl couscous, some kind of tofu thing. Dessert was my matcha cake, which was tasty, but not out of this world. And one of our friends made his famous flourless chocolate cake with a fresh raspberry puree. Old fashioneds before dinner, then five or six different bottles of wine, finishing up with some gin cocktail that I have no memory of. Oops. I do remember the non-stop laughter.

Next morning I slept in while others took a nature trek to a nearby lake which I was in no shape for. Breakfast was more freshly baked scones, bacon, more sausage, and I made my cambozola dip, which we ate with Torres truffled potato chips and more cowboy beans. We were going to go into Murphy again for a bubbly tasting, but decided to give our livers a break. No hair of the dog!

Another perfectly lovely weekend with great friends and food.

Arnold 2

Arnold 4

Arnold 5

Arnold 10

Arnold 11

Arnold 12

Arnold 13

Arnold 23

Arnold 24

25 Likes

Fish tacos tonight. We’re both running on empty. TJ’ cod was disappointing. More cake. Gym class tomorrow.

13 Likes

This all looks so GOOD! More, our hang is at Sheep Ranch, west over the hill from Avery. So good to meet a neighbor!

4 Likes

thanks!
Your hang? is Sheep Ranch a name of a restaurant, or an area?

My friends bought their vacay home out there in 2019. This was only the second time I’d been there (such a long drive) but they go out there a lot. The BF and I make take up their generous offer to stay there on our own someday for a weekend getaway…

Would that it was the name of a restaurant! Actually, back in the day, the Pioneer Hotel in the ghost town of Sheep Ranch, served weekend meals. But that was some 40 years ago! And the same was true of the Avery Hotel which is now some kind of special event venue.

Like you enjoying the hospitality of an SF neighbor led to our infection with the area. So…WATCH OUT! You may find yourselves what they call “flatland locals”!

3 Likes

hah!
i’m much more of a beach person, so i’ll probably squat at those friends’ house until they kick me out! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Was born on the beach so totally understand!

3 Likes

So husband is up in the woods, so I’m cooking just for me. Like a Joe’s Special. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

13 Likes

what kind of sausage did you use? or is ground beef?

1 Like

When we lived (briefly) in Croatia, we fell in love with a really simple dish - blitva (garlicky potatoes boiled with silverbeet, Swiss chard for us here in the U.S.). BF made a version tonight, though he subbed rainbow chard (using much less than the real deal does) and added cabbage because we have a ton. Sausages leftover from my weekend getaway that never even got opened - garlic/wine. Simples.

13 Likes