What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

They’re a bit of a PITA, for sure. I try not to remove too much of the membranes, and they still taste fine.

3 Likes

Dinner involves no more than heating through a supermarket pizza and opening a bag of salad leaves.

3 Likes

WWFD last night: a symphony in brown. TCC perfectly executed by my man while I was at work, plus Indian cauliflower I’d started preparing in the afternoon: painted with hot curry paste and roasted, then simmered in a not very interesting do pyaza simmer sauce from Wegmans.

Even tho I first toasted a goodly amount of mustard seeds in the pot, then sweat half a sliced onion in lots of butter before adding the cauli & simmer sauce plus some ginger and tomato paste, the result was underwhelming and needed salt.

The chicken, however, was awesome as usual. Oh, TCC – how do I love thee :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

WFD: ~ Pan-roasted chicken with red wine vinegar, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. (Spezzatinedi Pollo alla Nonna). Four whole chicken leg quarters, drums and thighs separated; olive oil; lottsa chopped garlic; a goodly amount of dried red pepper flakes; a pleasant pour of red wine vinegar, in fact more vinegar than you’d ever think you would want. Fifteen minutes to brown the chicken, 15 minutes to add the aromatics and cook.
Shower with minced parsley when serving.

~ Baked sweet potato. ~ Tossed green salad with tomatoes, red onions, kalamatas, and Honey Red Wine Vinaigrette.

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful, the chicken.
I never cooked with that much vinegar for meat, I wonder if the effect is the more or less the same with wine, but a bit more of acidity.

How does the chicken taste like?

WFD tonight, rabbit thighs with aromatics: onion, shallot, garlic, cacao mustard (unsweet cacao powder, mixed with mustard and cream), 4 spices, chicken stock, bay leaves and some estragon (since it’s winter, I’ve used essential oil instead of the fresh leaves). Ate with spiced oven-cooked poitron (1 type of pumpkin, smaller in size).

The rabbit was quite nice, we sensed just a tiny touch of cacao as a spice. I don’t know what was the problem with this “pumpkin”, it tasted a bit bitter and not sweet. Preferred the butternut ate a few days before.

3 Likes

There is a homegood entirely too close to my apartment and much to my dismay their food section is being phased out! ;( i’ve always found fun random treats there too
Hope technology decides to cooperate for you asap!

1 Like

One of my favorites tonight, the alubias con espinacas (garbanzo and spinach stew) from smitten kitchen, i always add a good bit more spinach. Leftovers will be lunch tomorrow.

3 Likes

I have a duck crown to roast (it was a “near use-by” date" in the supermarket and less than £5).

I found some plum sauce in the freezer that I made at the end of 2014. It has background notes that are Chinese-ish - the use of 5-spice - but it was primarily intended as as a westernised sauce. But I’m up the asian elements - carbs to be noodles, veg to be stirfreid pak choi.

4 Likes

Hi NAF, the chicken was tender, juicy, chicken-y and not at all acidic, nor too spicy. All the intense flavors melded into a luscious unctuous sauce. We loved the finished dish immensely.

The ingredient amounts are:
3 1/2 lbs chkn pcs,
2 T EVOO,
1/2 t S,
4 chpd garlic cloves,
1/2 + t RPF (red pepper flakes),
2/3 + c Italian red wine vinegar…

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that the food section grows and wanes depending on the time of year. Chocolate is HUGE before Christmas and Valentine’s Day (probably larger before Christmas, actually!). I always stock up on large quantity small chocolates for gift bags for coworkers at Christmas.

But I’d hate to see them remove the food section completely!

What is a duck crown?

A crown is sold as a bird where the legs have been removed but the breasts remain on the carcass. Most often available in supermarkets as duck or turkey.

http://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/how-to/how-to-roast-a-duck-crown

1 Like

Best laid plans n all. We know how that goes - no salmon burgers for me last night. Was able to finish on time, then hung out with friends over wine. By the time I got home, I was in no mood to cook. So… more wings. >hangs head in shame> >nah, not really<

Perhaps salmon burgers will make their way on the menu tonight. I work just as late but will be going straight home. There is hope.

Happy Friday, y’all!

2 Likes

WFD: ~ Shanghai Bok Choy and Noodles Stir-Fry. Somen noodles; peanut oil; ginger; red chilies; bok choy; shiitake mushrooms; light soy sauce, a bit of Red Boat fish sauce, . Garnish with chopped cilantro. Since we have a bit of red-cooked tofu left in the fridge I think I’ll toss it into the stir-fry to heat up and augment the flavors.

We’ve cooked the original stir-fry several times and I’ve always added to the ingredients one way or another. It’s that kind of recipe, plus the extras add a little more of a savory taste to the whole.

Happy Weekend All!

5 Likes

Well, this was a long week since I was in trial. Ugh. We have had zero home cooked meals! So, tonight I managed to make dinner and it was so nice to have a warm home cooked meal. I roasted up potatoes with garlic, lemons, olive oil, and rosemary. Topped the potatoes with some chicken sautéed with artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes. Topped it all off with herbed feta. There was a bottle of wine.

s

8 Likes

loverly.

1 Like

dinner out the last two nights with friends, so tonight the BF and I finally ate the jambalaya i made on Sunday. Plenty spicy, too, from all the cayenne i used, and lovely with the duck sausage. chicken too. alongside i made stewed kale with bacon and sherry vinegar. and a little salad of cukes, toms, and parsley, in a oregano vinaigrette.

5 Likes

To start…Hmmm. Good question, although there are enough tins and jars in the house to come up with a decent mixed hors d’oeuvres.

To continue…A pork & apricot thingy. There’s a sauce to be made - finely chopped onion, white wine and wine vinegar, finely chopped dried apricots and some water. It cooks till the liquid has pretty much gone and then cools. Some of it’s then smeared on puff pastry, which is rolled round a pork fillet - like a sausage roll - and baked for 30 minutes. The remaining sauce is heated through with soem chicken stock to become a pouring sauce. Alongside, spuds of some sort and red cabbage (I found a pack of the Xmas version in the freezer).

To finish - apple fool. Whipped cream and apple puree mixed together, with a couple of crumbled trifle sponges and a topping of chopped nuts.

6 Likes

Tonight it’s my usual saturday favourite: brill. So nice these day when big fat ones with roe are common. I make it Vietnamese-esque with “Nuoc Cham” and a big plain salad.

8 Likes