What's For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

I’m having the leftover Rotkohl from last night , along with a steamed Yukon Gold potato , and from the butcher I picked up these pork crepinette’s that are made with a little candied kumquat , some herbs , and are wrapped in caul fat .

1 Like

Hand-formed ravioli with ricotta, a touch of garlic, parm and eggs as the filling, classic egg pasta for the shell. Simple marinara with D.O.P San Marzanos, olive oil, garlic and a touch of red wine for sauce. Homemade blueberry pie was breakfast today and dessert tonight for my sweetie who loves pie more than anything except, hopefully, his family. A tasty and relaxed Valentine.

12 Likes

An acquaintance of mine was talking about one of those companies where they deliver everything you need for a specific meal. $60 for 3 dinners. I thought was a ridiculous amount of money but expressed only mild dismay. That’s rare for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW, this is someone who is seriously financially in trouble because of years of bad buying decisions. Sigh.

Tonight’s dinner was a big piece of prime filet leftover from Thanksgiving. Stir fried carrots, red pepper, red onions and something else I can’t remember. Along with mushrooms sauteed in butter. So good.

3 Likes

Hi bear, you should link your lovely ravioli dish in the Cooking of the month - dumpling.

Tonight’s dinner is based on a magazine recipe we’ve had for years titled the “Harman Loaf”.

It’s a “celebrity” recipe, although I hesitate to use the word. Harriet Harman is a member of the British Parliament and was ,until last year, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. I am not a fan of her, but I am a fan of this recipe.

You make a beef stew. We actually now just make our normal stew, rather than the recipe one. Meanwhile, you slice off the top of the loaf and hollow it out, leaving a wall about 1cm thick. Stew goes in the loaf, top goes back on and bakes for 20 minutes, so the bread heats through and goes crusty. Just needs something leafy to go with it.

3 Likes

Yum! That sausage sounds amazing.

It’s so frustrating when you watch people make poor decisions repeatedly. I agree, $60 on three dinners that you “cook at home” is a lot.

Harters, that sounds like the ultimate comfort food. Stew and bread, perfect for this frigid New England weather we’re having.

bear

If you wish to make Ms Harman’s version for reasons of authenticity, then it’s a combo of beef, onion, bacon, mushrooms, carrots, Marmite, tomato puree and Guinness.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, naf. I did join the discussion.

Yes, these services make NO sense to me - for that price, you might as well eat out and save yourself the trouble of cooking and cleanup. Shopping for food and picking a recipe takes far less time/energy (for me, anyway) than cooking and cleaning. I have a couple of friends who have tried the services and they both complained that the portions are FAR too small for two adults - one friend said that she feeds herself (a small woman with a fairly small appetite) and one 8 year old, and that she usually still has to supplement with an extra vegetable side. I don’t understand the attraction.

2 Likes

Dinner in a tin.

I’ll be busy tonight finishing up the Calabrian pickle so the bloke’s on dinner duty.

I’ve got a tin of duck legs encased in duck fat. I’ll get him to crisp the skin up in the oven and make a lentil salad with some greens to go with them. We’ve got a couple of pomelos in the fruit bowl so segments might get added to the salad too. The only snag in the plan could be the utterly woeful state of my tin opener, there’s a whole lot of lid to open.

2 Likes

I ran across several “unstuffed” cabbage roll recipes on Paleo sites while looking for something to do with a cabbage (and no rice, starches, etc.) and it sounded good enough to turn the oven on (wish I could share the warm weather with those of you who need it.) Instead of the suggested spices and seasonings I opted for ras el hanout and it was a good move- it’s delicious!

hey all, with a nudge from lingua, trying to not be lazy and post here more regularly. starting now.

marathon-ish day in the kitchen. pork shoulder i slow cooked yesterday for 7 hours (rubbed with fennel, brown sugar, granulated garlic & onion, chili powder, s&p, olive oil and a few squirts of sriracha) got pulled and sits in the fridge for tacos one night this week. froze half for another time.

made my first ever jambalaya, really nice and spicy. i used diced chicken and duck/bacon sausage. also for later this week, and froze half of that too.

had Italian in mind for the BF tonight, as he cooked Asian for me twice this week, and even ventured into the land of crustaceans! i wanted to do an antipasti platter, but i knew it would be too much food, so we had it for lunch instead. blackened a red bell, peeled and then marinated it in aranciata rossa vinegar, slivered garlic and olive oil. garlicky cannellini bean puree went over some toasted ciabatta, then topped with the red peppers. salumi was fennel, mortadella, and a prosciutto/salami combo. jarred marinated artichokes and some garlicky olives and castelvetranos, and slices of untoasted ciabatta finished us off. there was more of that bean puree
for dipping.

dinner was meatballs with a shit-ton of parm regg and then simmered (no browning) in Marcela Hazan’s onion/butter tomato sauce, with the previous addition of sauteed minced
carrots/celery. soooooo good, all of it. the bf’s homemade bread of yesterday sadly did not fare very well, but made it into the meatballs with milk. all that went over polenta - chicken stock, butter, parm regg, and a bit of milk made it very creamy. finally, topped with roasted cauli florets tossed in olive oil and then rolled around in parm regg. side salad of toms, more of those peppers and their marinade, garlic, and parsley.

nice to see you all! now if i can ever figure out how to read all these lovely posts and comments…

12 Likes

@mariacarmen - some great looking meals MC. Missed you and has been wondering what had happened post Portugal.

1 Like

I found a back up tin opener and got the confit duck open only to burn it under the grill.

Despite the slight char it was surprisingly good for tinned fare and the bits of skin that crisped were sensational. If I try it again next time I’ll use tongs to hold it under the grill at different angles so more of the skin crisps.

5 Likes

This will be my dinner in a few days when the fridge ran out of fresh meat. Very handy and yummy.

1 Like

Hi Maria,

Sounds delicious all your meals.

Do you have the recipe for this the pork? I’m trying to look for very slow cooking (during my absence when at work), 7 hours seem ideal!

1 Like