What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

The lamb turned out lovely, if a tiny bit overdone in parts. Guess that’s bound to happen with an uneven lump o’meat. The butternut squash & eggplant dish turned out to be an Ottolenghi recipe and was fabulous – and I’m not too crazy about butternut squash.

I ended up making a Greek-inspired salad with romaine, roasted tomatoes, feta, Greek olives, cuke & green peppers (not pictured). Dessert was a lovely apple pie with a puff pastry crust, topped with coconut milk vanilla bean ice cream.

Tons o’wine followed. And a good time was had by all :smile:

8 Likes

Haddock was the day fish today at my fish store, so this is what we will have for dinner. I think I will broil it a la Moonan. I think I will make a cole slaw and perhaps some kind potato. Still unsure about the sides.

WFD: G & G’s Goofy Pulled Pork Banh Mi. Boneless pork shoulder roast, S&P, crushed red pepper flakes, ginger, lots of garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar. Everything mixed in the slow cooker, on Low for eight or so hours till tender. Piled onto slices of really black pumpernickel with mayo, cucumber, jalapeno, scallions, cilantro, sauce from pork, hot sauce.

Served with fermented ginger carrots. DH wants baked beans, so baked beans DH shall have.

Basically this Banh Mi is a riff I made on a recipe in “Vietnamese Home Cooking” by Charles Phan:

3 Likes

The meal looks great!!

Which recipe is it?

I believe it is this one:

Tonight, carrot salad (lemon juice, parsley, spring onion, nuoc-mam, sesame oil) to start. The Tajine dish is a Moroccan chicken with lemon and green olive, served with rice. Meyer lemons were home grown, I doubled the olives than suggested, used fresh ginger, seared the chicken and added some chopped parsley at the end of the cooking. Turned out to be quite good, not acid like some complained in the review.

Thanks, so I will only use the aubergine part… I tried another time an Ottolenghi recipe with squash or butternut. It was OK, nothing too special.

I always cook the lamb leg with bone, it’s interesting to cook it boneless.

No business tonight so I was home to cook. Tonight’s dinner is chicken cutlets topped with mozzarella served on a bed of sautéed onions, roasted peppers, diced tomatoes and cannelloni beans.

4 Likes

OMG, that lamb looks perfect!!! A little overdone in parts to me mean everyone gets what they want. I want the rare, thank you :slight_smile:

Now that IS “goofy” but also fabulous sounding. I’m getting hungry.

1 Like

Grilled flank steak with a green sauce - tossed radish greens, scallions, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, parsley and some muffaleta mix from Costco into the Vitamix and pureed. Yum! Served it with roasted broccoli and red peppers topped with parmesan and broiled.

I finished a weeks worth of task plus some I came up with on my own in two days so I had a few boring hours at work this evening. Came home and started prepping for a shepherds pie
(just need to saute onions, make gravy and assemble/bake) and quiche. Dry “sauteed” two packs of mushrooms, mashed potatoes, did a few loads of laundry, etc.

Have an appointment after work tomorrow so wanted a head start for an easy dinner. Will make the quiche Friday so my friend has a light dinner when she gets back from her trip.

Still not sure what or if there will be dinner. Had a big lunch so may just be cheese and crackers or a quick quesadilla.

Kitties have settled in nicely. The sound of cars on gravel drives has them a little freaked out. No coyotes howling - was curious how they would react to the cries. It’s been cold (20’s at night - low 40’s days) so they have wimped out about the porch. I want to be reincarnated as a cat!

2 Likes

Brown gloop from the freezer. In this case, a chicken stew that we made a large portion of some weeks back - with the intent of having brown gloop.

2 Likes

Hello ya’ll! I’ve got to get my bearings around here, so excuse any missteps.
WFD - gonna throw an arroz con pollo together, add in my chorizo and whatever else speaks to me.

Now, I gotta go back and read to catch up. Glad I’m not busy at work today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Christie!!! So very nice of you to come over here and join us!! Please tell us all what was it that attracted you to come post on Hungry Onion? I’m sure there is some “handsome” or “charming” story behind it, please share!!

Once again, welcome if you have any questions please let us know.

1 Like

After hearing glowing reviews by such a trusted person (and work unblocked me, ha!) - I decided to wade into the unknown.

Last night (Wednesday): A great big fat bacon-cheeseburger and a couple of glasses of wine with a coworker at a “bitch session.”

Tonight ** (Thursday): Sketti & Sawce Redux.

Tomorrow night (Friday): Dinner with my family and most members of my stepfamily, including my youngest stepbrother who’s in from England visiting his daughter in NYC, and up in the Boston area for about a week. So dinner will be whatever the host is making. If it’s a roast lamb, my sister will NOT be happy. But I will. :slight_smile: I’m bringing a bottle of wine.

The weekend? I’ll cook. No idea what. But it’ll be something. Otherwise, I shall starve, which just will not do with 3 freezers full of food.

2 Likes

Shameless, and quite incorrigible, you are, Jr. But then again, we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Geeze, you couldn’t even fit a handsome or charming in there either? Gosh what’s a guy gotta do to get a compliment around here!?!?! Tough crowd ladies, tough crowd.

1 Like

You know, I’m sure someone said that NotJrvedivici was handsome & charming. Just can’t recall who it was now…

…ahh. Wait a minute. it was someone called Bob. Do we know anyone called Bob?

4 Likes