What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

We did some serious waistline damage over New Years, enjoying the best of what Chicago has to offer, so we’ll be eating clean for the foreseeable future - until my pants fit again, anyway! Tonight will be the jalapeno salmon burgers from Fish Without a Doubt (no buns) and some roasted Brussels sprouts or red peppers.

2 Likes

We’re picking up some fried chicken from a new joint in town. Can’t wait!!!

1 Like

Ooh, that does look good!

Harters, that appeals to my carb loving former self… Makes me almost want to cry! Alas, cannot eat them anymore :frowning:

We got kinda hooked on it so thanks for the reminder :smile:

Inspired by Gio and Rebecca on the WFD group, I am making beeferoni.

Mac noodles with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, green pepper, and whatever else I can think to add.

The weather has turned chilly and its comforting.

2 Likes

Tonight is lamb roast (garlic, rosemary and anchovies) with crash potatoes (half a leftover baked with thyme, oo, s/p) and spinach sauteed with bacon fat/crushed red peppers. Roast is almost 5 lbs. so souvlaki -ish pitas and shepherds pie will keep me fed during the work week.

My boss/friend is in the Caribbean celebrating a big birthday. So I brought the cats and have settled in to her house for a week while I run the shop. One kitty immediately set about exploring. The other (after wailing for the entire hour drive) parked himself at the garage door and cried for another hour to go back home. They have since settled in and each has found “their” spots. The screened porch is a big hit. We finally have some cold weather but they seem uninterested in soaking up the heat from the fire place. Sticky tape is in place to keep Jo-jo the circus cat from his high wire act (aka destructive counter and bookshelf explorations).

Hopefully they will readjust to less spacious digs once we return home!

5 Likes

WFD was some split pea soup I made yesterday. Grilled cheese sammies on the side. We are expecting our first real rain tomorrow so I fully expect all the So Cal drivers to loose their minds.

Dinner was pressure cooker kale with smoked turkey butts :slight_smile: delicious!!!

2 Likes

Here’s a thread of mine about turkey butts. So good.

I’m new in WFD. :yum: Hi everyone and a great 2016!

Last night’s meal, oven cooked filet mignon with grainy mustard and white wine, pan roasted potatoes with thyme and rosemary, mango in cubes marinated with fresh turmeric and yuzu vinegar. As entry, some leftover unopened oyster from New Year’s Eve.

I improvised some part of the pork with a bit of fresh grated ginger… worked better without, too strong and fighting with mustard.

6 Likes

Welcome to WFD, naf.

A trip into the city centre for dinner. One of our favourite places in the centre. Does fairly traditional British dishes - I see in my near future steak & kidney pudding with, perhaps, a starter of ox tongue & liver. Sounds offaly good to me.

1 Like

Ha, my dinner tonight will be offal too. Pig intestines called Tricandilles (prepared by butcher near Bordeaux). It’s not andouillette.

This is WFD at casa lingua tonight: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-slow-roasted-boneless-leg-of-lam.html. We’re having a few friends over to help us eat it all.

My man marinated the leg yesterday, and it smells fantastic. One of our friends is bringing a Middle Eastern roasted butternut squash & eggplant dish, another couple an apple dessert.

I will likely supply a salad, b/c I’m the salad queen. Ingredients TBD, but thematically fitting…

6 Likes

WFD: ~ Mahi Mahi [Hake] with Smashed White Beans [Cannellini] and Sage.
~ Chard and Chard Stems with Sauteed Shiitakes [Mushroom Medley].

Tidal Tuesday brings us 1+ pounds of CSF hake that we froze last week. We drop our fish shares for the winter and pick it up again in the spring. This gives us a chance to cook other kinds of sustainable seafood like mussels, squid, wild caught salmon, and my favorite fruit - Lobstah.
A week without fish is like a day without a martini.

4 Likes

Chicken parmesan here tonight. I no longer bake in sauce, but instead, place the sautéed chicken pieces on a rack over a sheet pan, dollop a bit of sauce on top before topping with a nice aged provolone and parmesan before broiling. At the table, people can add as much warmed sauce as they like. Keeps the chicken crispy. Serving with some pasta and a big green salad.

3 Likes

It’s one of the few things I can’t eat and I do like offal. I literally cannot eat it, the smell aside. I try to chew it but it goes nowhere. My teeth, all of them, must be really dull.

Had it in my food Taiwan and China.

Hope to see you round on WFD more often.

Great idea. Lately I’ve been making boneless chicken thighs or fish fillets alla Pizzaiola. Similar to baking a pizza only using the fillets as a base then piling sauce, mozzarella, and Parmigiano on top then baking till chicken is done and cheese melty.

There’s the opportunity to use as much or as little sauce as one wants here as well. The chicken skin does not stay as crisp your method must though.

1 Like

Last of the kangaroo steaks I had in the freezer. Froze some game meat before christmas holiday when they were on sale.

250g fresh shiitake sauteed in the deglazed pan, with some sherry and tamari, garlic and shallots. French lentils instead of potatoes or Spätzle. Dinner didn’t have a theme, just what I had in the house, and it was fine.

2 Likes