What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Pic is last night’s cauliflower before roasting. It was so pretty.
Tonight was veggie soft tacos. Onion, carrot, a bit of cauliflower, and TJ’s soy chorizo, served in flour tortillas. Garnish was shredded cabbage and pickled jalapeños.

4 Likes

Lamps plus has almost the same if not the identical chandelier.
My sister recently moved from SF to Sausalito and picked up two similar fixtures for a hallway…
The baubles create the most interesting funky patterns
I’m posting a picture of her dinner tonight to stay on topic
Marinated chicken with a side of rice primavera ala my sister

2 Likes

It’s there, the piece on the top of the soup. The soup was an entry.

1 Like

Mine was good but I’d have liked Naf’s! :@)) :@))

I rarely buy any meat/fish/food that is pre-seasoned but whilst in the Turkish butcher’s shop getting my lamb mince I thought maybe I’d try their lamb shawarma for once. Was expecting lots of salt and cumin etc but it was actually quite nice. Not salty at all and the spices (whatever they were) were not overpowering. At the end of the day I still want to slice the meat and season it myself.

Btw, this was last night. Flat bread is toothsome. I buy it sometimes to go with BBQ’ed lamb etc. Big sign on the window of the Turk shop states it is a kind of Iraqi flat bread baked in a drum (also has a picture of the drum).

Bread is bigger than the plate. I like my lamb with garlicky yoghurt.

3 Likes

It was Japanese last night. A large batch of sweet corn was charcoal grilled along with some rice balls. They were brushed with soy and butter while cooking and finished with some yakatori sauce. Pickled plums and quick pickled daikon made the line up as did some cucumber batons. A nice light meal for yet another hot night.

There’s plenty of cooked sweet corn left over and I need to get some work done tonight so I’ve told the bloke he’s on dinner duty. I’m expecting he’ll whip up some sort of salad.

3 Likes

I don’t know what I’m doing, this season Top Chef debuted tonight, so I’m half cooking half watching.

Roasted pork with curcuma and Japanese sweet wine Mirin with a yogurt sauce: fresh curcuma, lots of pepper (black and red). The sauce should look more yellow than on the photo. We finished the leftover lentil soup of yesterday (no fois gras tonight!) Quite ok for last minute invention.

Forgot the gloves when grating the turmeric, now I have such beautiful yellow hands and nails. (Great! Meeting with new clients tomorrow :grin:)

4 Likes

The dinner looked great. except that dish of green things (peppers!), looks too hot (for me)!

I love Japanese charcoal grill, always delicious!

2 Likes

I found this on orangette and had everything on hand. The kale is boiled (!) and becomes soft and silky. I used a heavy hand with the olive oil, better than bullion veg for broth and added garbanzos at the end instead of topping with an egg. Thick slice of toasted seedy bread.
Surprisingly good and rather simple

2 Likes

Last night was supposed to be a ham hock with parsley sauce from Diana Henry’s Plenty but the ham hock had NO meat on it. It was a different brand from a different store. Lesson learned.

Quick change of plans and I browned a pork chop, then made a sort of
onion gravy and popped that into the oven to bake with a sweet potato.
Green salad as well with my favorite sweetish vinaigrette with tarragon
vinegar.

2 Likes

I love the sound of that meal and your chick peas substitution would work for the runny egg yolk hating bloke. Saving it for our winter.

I make my Köfte in this shape as it is a lot easier to brown and turn. No time to set up the rest but here are the minced lamb “pucks” (I used a metal measuring cup as seen in yesterday’s photo). Browned and simmered (with a cover on) in sherry and lemon juice. “Adapted” from Wolfert’s Turkish Köfte recipe in her “Clay Pot” book. She uses no sherry, and I had no pomegranate molasses.

The green chillies are very mild. Safe for Naf, me thinks.

2 Likes

An odd night tonight, the bloke will be out for drinks but will want a late snack. We’re off camping for a few nights from tomorrow so need to use up stuff in the refrigerator and the four year old is out of sorts with what seems like the start of a cold.

I’m thinking of making a frittata to use up refrigerator produce - that can be the bloke’s snack and our first night’s camping dinner. The four year old is requesting yakatori - chicken hearts because ‘chicken hearts always cheer me up.’ As for me, my mind is full of possibilities of favourite things I don’t get to eat often enough. Curried brains? A huge plate of broccoli? Tofu with century egg? Bottarga on spaghetti? I’m just not sure yet.

Not much in the way of cooking dinners for the next few nights as each family going camping is taking a turn at cooking for the 16 of us. My contribution is gnocchi with a toppings station for the eight kids. For the adults I’ve made a lamb ‘stew’ - lamb cooked in white wine and tomatoes with loads of black olives and whole garlic cloves. It’s now frozen and I’m hoping it still tastes good. I’m dithering about serving it with rice or couscous as I’ve never made that volume of either before. River Cafe green beans with Parmesan on the side. All of this needs to be heated on a single gas ring - it’s going to be a juggling act. Dessert is custard and amaretti biscuits with tinned peaches for the kids and some of my vodka cherries for the adults.

5 Likes

Those look great, P. Care to share some deets on ingredients n stuff?

Grated onion, chopped garlic, parsley aaaaand “Köfte seasoning” from the same Turk store/butcher. The second part, cooking the meat in liquids, is to keep it moist.

1 Like

Always enjoy reading about what your adventurous 4 year old requests or what she eats! So glad you have found us again, Frizz!

2 Likes

We have a heat wave here in Boston. The temperature made it all the way up to 48º! In the SMT house that means grilling. We have spatchcocked a chicken which will be grilled mopping with Inner Beauty sauce. Sides are simple-- baked potatoes and a green salad.

3 Likes

All I saw was in the dark, at first I thought the hedgehog was an old sponge, but I signalled the cats to come, I saw the “sponge” reacting to my voice, it moved whenever I made a “click” sound, then I was thinking maybe it was a kitten soaked with the rain, but it didn’t move at all when I swiped a leaf over it. A kitten would have instantly gone. The next morning, I checked the place, all the food I left out was gone. No idea eaten by the cat or the hedgehog. Funny animal.

Noodle tonight…pork and lotus root udon. Too tired to cook after a long day, pork was leftover yesterday. Husband said lotus wasn’t a very interesting food on it’s own. (I cooked them in salty water for 15 minutes before putting them in the soup with other vegetables, still a bit crunchy) He preferred them as pickles or in tempura.

1 Like

She’s certainly got a varied palate and some of the things she says are hilarious.

I am expecting at some point she’ll rebel against all the cooking we do and change her opinion on the ‘terrifying quality’ of McDonalds.

1 Like

Tonight, it’s leftover Texas style chile.

Small cubed chuck and flap meat in a sauce with multiple dumps of guajillo, ancho and a touch of morita fresh ground chilies. No beans

Served with ancho accented cornbread

1 Like

Keep on fighting the good fight against the actually terrifying quality of McDonalds, Frizzle! LOL

2 Likes