What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Yeh it’s dripping. It was moments off the skillet

2 Likes

Rigid “authenticity” be damned. That looks fabulous.

1 Like

It was Friday night pizza night at Pizzeria Bear. I’m still loving my newish pizza steel. Heated to 550 for 40 minutes or so, it produces a nice crust and cooks the pizza quickly and evenly.

7 Likes

Beautiful, as always!

Off-topic but where did you get that stunning light fixture???

Just fried up some leftover meatloaf and topped it with fried eggs (sunnyside up for DH, over hard for me) - nice snow day brunch. I made pizza dough last night so it’s rising slowly in the fridge. That may be dinner, so it may wait and become dinner tomorrow!

I make carbonara A LOT! A real go-to if it’s been a long day or we’ve been away. Except for parsley I almost always have the ingredients on hand. 'Cause I use B A C O N!!! I think at that other site it was ‘decided’ that with peas it’s simply ‘carbonara with peas.’ LOL

1 Like

Isn’t it great? It’s on a dimmer and looks gorgeous at any setting. I’m snowed in at my boss/friends house so it is a photo of her dining room table. She found a great guy at a local lighting company who got a feel for her aesthetic and came up with several options for her.

Email me and I can give you his contact info - it was a special order so could probably be drop shipped directly to you. It was around $600. The balls are not pre-hung. She said once you figured out the pattern it was fairly easy to put it together.

Thanks, LF. A bit expensive but it’s worth it, as well as it being a seasonal ingredient.

Fish again for dinner today, just typical saturday brill to be roasted in the oven.

Today I also bot 1.5kg of roe so it’s going to be a few meals with that in the coming days.

1 Like

We have plenty of food but not much in the way of fresh produce (1 clove garlic, 1 onion, 1/8 head of cabbage, 2 bananas, cherry tomatoes). Dinner tonight will be pork chop something, maybe canned corn and the cabbage.

Sweet tooth hit. Found some dried cranberries and simmered them with apricot brandy, lemon juice, water, honey and some cherry preserves. Found a pack of Crescent rolls to use as a pie crust. Made a crumble of a pumpkin seed granola bar, the last couple of walnuts, sugar, little flour to thicken, allspice, coriander and cinnamon. Just realized I forgot to dot it with butter…Smells wonderful! Cooling down to be inhaled soon. Should fuel the 2nd half of Monopoly!

5 Likes

As winter hits here, it was time to restock the magic freezer. Managed to produce 2 gallons of chicken stock, 1 gallon of chili, 1 gallon of split pea soup [most to be given away,] plus produced a few dinners.

We did a pork tenderloin two nights ago, rubbed with an Urfa pepper mixture, one night was burgers with cole slaw and potato strings, and tonight, it will be a 7-bone braise served with polenta, glazed carrots, and spinach.

There is a rye starter working hard so I can make some rye bread on Monday. My current life requires that I eat breakfast and rye bread with a bit of cheese is the perfect antidote.

5 Likes

Now that’s a creative use of ingredients! Looks terrific.

I love urfa peppers! A buddy of mine gave me a jar, and they’re great for so many things… I actually really enjoy them in scrambled eggs.

It tastes great - good balance of sweet and tart. I had hoped to find orange liqueur but the selection is quite slim. I’ll definitely use the chopped granola bar idea again -gave a perfect texture contrast. It’s always an interesting challenge working from what I can find in someone else s kitchen .

1 Like

Marinated some sirloin tips in a combo of 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 Tbsp. of minced parsley, 2 tsp. of minced rosemary, 1 Tbsp of honey, 2 tsp. of orange zest, 2 tsp. of minced garlic, 3/4 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp of Aleppo pepper. Grilled on the grill pan, finished in the oven.

Baked tater and a salad of butter lettuce, shaved carrots, sliced radishes, and goat cheese with a pomegranate vinaigrette. (This time I remembered to add the oil to the vinaigrette! LOL) And yes - there was wine.

5 Likes

Last night was a quick trip through the In-n-Out drive through after a later appointment.
Tonight is roasted bone in chicken breasts (marinated in garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and lots of spices), and roasted purple and orange cauliflower. Cauliflower was in abundance at the FM is morning…I saw at least four kinds.

2 Likes

Dinner was baked thick juicy pork chops. My friend used a Penzey’s seasoning - BBQ of America’s I think. I made a rice pilaf with almond package and a riff on maque choux with onion, canned white corn, edamame and hatch chilies. Poured what I thought was chicken broth in the pot but it was beef broth. Turned out to be a good addition. A little cayenne, salt and thyme finished it off. Nice group effort!

Monopoly was never resumed. We both had over built our properties and wheeling and dealing never reached a point of agreement. Think our weekend binge of HGTV made the shiny red hotels just feel cheap and poorly located. Dinner won out and the game was cleared.

Looking like I might be able to drive home tomorrow afternoon. The road the house is located on will be the iffy part. Looking forward to seeing my catboyz. Hope those of you further north and east stay safe and warm and well fed!

2 Likes

I discovered this pepper while cooking from Ana Sortun’s SPICE. Brought a bunch back from my recent trip to Turkiye. They are making their way into all sort of dishes a Maison SMT.

Ah… achso! I often buy middle eastern/Turkish ingredients, including peppers, from the Turks. They label that type of peppers is “Isot”, which when I looked up turned out to be the same thing. It’s almost black!

Shall try sprinkling it on eggs (I usually use good paprika).

Dinner last night was a mixed bag. I haven’t made Cooks Illustrated’s High Roast Chicken for a while. A whole chicken is butterflied and a mustard-thyme-garlic compound butter is spread under the skin. The chicken is roasted on a rack above potatoes that have been sliced and tossed in a bit of olive oil and baked at 500 for about 45 minutes. (I add some onion.) I thought I remembered that the potatoes didn’t brown enough, so I stuck them in the oven for about 10 minutes before I put the chicken in. Big mistake…they were pretty much incinerated, especially since the chicken needed an additional 10 minutes in the oven to come up to temp. Oh, well, live and learn. Usually, the potatoes soak up the juices from the butter and schmaltz and are fabulous.

It’s definitely not a pretty bird, but the meat is moist and delicious and the skin is fairly crispy. I’ll have to redeem myself and make it correctly soon.

2 Likes