What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

I did the same, looking at the clock and all, but not until about 4:15, so I should stop complaining. Well, here’s to an amazingly restful night for both of us, full of sugar plums and onions…:smile:

1 Like

yep – let me sing you the song of my (menopausal) people — wide awake in the middle of the night (makes it convenient, though – I’m up at just about the right time to let my butt in the door when it’s dragging behind form lack of sleep.)

2 Likes

:relieved:

So our chicken parmesan with Linguini Fini was RIGHT on point!

1 Like

Hope you can find it at places suggested by Catholiver and Bear. Try alpaca too, if you can find it.

I hear from Australians that kangaroo meat in Australia is as common as beef. You get it minced, steaks, sausasages etc.

Haven’t we a thread on exotic meats? I don’t see the point of crocodile meat. Ate it once.

1 Like

Absolutely - cleared plates for both courses. At a guess, there will have been about 300g of meat

It’s why I’m a short, fat, middle-aged man, instead of being a short, middle-aged man.

2 Likes

I’ve no particular desire to eat it and I’m not sure where I’d easily buy it in the UK - but my starting point would be the likes of Aldi & Lidl. Their frozen selections often have “stuff” not readily available elsewhere. Do you have those shops near you?

As for tonight’s dinner - there’s a pork stirfry in the plan. Strips of loin get marinated in lemongrass, soy and lime juice & zest. Then fried with later additions of spring onion, cashews and Chinese cabbage. Not sure whether the carb will be rice or noodles. If the latter, then they’ll be mixed into the wok with everything else.

I think there’s an Aldi a couple of towns over from us. Thank you for the suggestion, John.

LOL! For some reason we’re eating a lot less meat these days. Not a conscious decision.

For me, it’s the influence of “foreign” cuisines which often place much less reliance on meat. If I go back to my childhood in the 50s & 60s there would be meat at every dinner, with the exception of fish on Friday.

That said, my compatriots are also eating less fish & seafood - somewhat strange when you think we live on a small island surrounded by seas packed with good stuff to eat (much of which our fishing industry catches and then exports to other countries which prize it more than we do)

Leftover “Sichuan” prawns became a meal of fried rice today, complete with fried beaten eggs and a salad on the side (cucummer, tomatoes, coriander etc).

2 Likes

The lamb turned out lovely, if a tiny bit overdone in parts. Guess that’s bound to happen with an uneven lump o’meat. The butternut squash & eggplant dish turned out to be an Ottolenghi recipe and was fabulous – and I’m not too crazy about butternut squash.

I ended up making a Greek-inspired salad with romaine, roasted tomatoes, feta, Greek olives, cuke & green peppers (not pictured). Dessert was a lovely apple pie with a puff pastry crust, topped with coconut milk vanilla bean ice cream.

Tons o’wine followed. And a good time was had by all :smile:

8 Likes

Haddock was the day fish today at my fish store, so this is what we will have for dinner. I think I will broil it a la Moonan. I think I will make a cole slaw and perhaps some kind potato. Still unsure about the sides.

WFD: G & G’s Goofy Pulled Pork Banh Mi. Boneless pork shoulder roast, S&P, crushed red pepper flakes, ginger, lots of garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar. Everything mixed in the slow cooker, on Low for eight or so hours till tender. Piled onto slices of really black pumpernickel with mayo, cucumber, jalapeno, scallions, cilantro, sauce from pork, hot sauce.

Served with fermented ginger carrots. DH wants baked beans, so baked beans DH shall have.

Basically this Banh Mi is a riff I made on a recipe in “Vietnamese Home Cooking” by Charles Phan:

3 Likes

The meal looks great!!

Which recipe is it?

I believe it is this one:

Tonight, carrot salad (lemon juice, parsley, spring onion, nuoc-mam, sesame oil) to start. The Tajine dish is a Moroccan chicken with lemon and green olive, served with rice. Meyer lemons were home grown, I doubled the olives than suggested, used fresh ginger, seared the chicken and added some chopped parsley at the end of the cooking. Turned out to be quite good, not acid like some complained in the review.

Thanks, so I will only use the aubergine part… I tried another time an Ottolenghi recipe with squash or butternut. It was OK, nothing too special.

I always cook the lamb leg with bone, it’s interesting to cook it boneless.

No business tonight so I was home to cook. Tonight’s dinner is chicken cutlets topped with mozzarella served on a bed of sautéed onions, roasted peppers, diced tomatoes and cannelloni beans.

4 Likes

OMG, that lamb looks perfect!!! A little overdone in parts to me mean everyone gets what they want. I want the rare, thank you :slight_smile: