What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Excellent menu. Your pasta looks great.

Osso Bucco means post dinner dog treats.

4 Likes

Last night’s dinner was out at my restaurant home-away-from-home. It has been FAR FAR too long, due to various reasons, and it was good to get back there. It was busy for a Saturday night, but we got seats within 5 minutes. Advantage of being a regular. :slight_smile:

The three of us enjoyed large fried prawns with Mojo sauce, Patatas Bravas, beef tenderloin on toast with roasted red peppers, and spicy chicken skewers.

Sangria, mango martinis, and Stella Artois as the libations. And I had a small snifter of Current y Tres. The bar:

And Churros for dessert:

Today’s breakfast was pretty good. Chopped and sauteed some prosciutto I needed to use up, added a couple of whupped eggs (with about a Tbsp of heavy cream whupped in), sprinkled the eggs with green onion and cooked over low heat, stirring occasionally, until just done. Sprinkled with chopped parsley. An English muffin alongside. And CAWFEE. Perhaps a bit too much prosciutto for the amount of eggs, but I needed to get rid of it.

Dinner is already planned, based on a recipe linked on a Facebook group I’m on. Very much looking forward to it.

7 Likes

what does that even mean??

3 Likes

LOL! Yes, several people have said that to me. Let’s just say the eggs needed no seasoning with salt. The prosciutto took care of that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Roe, beaten eggs, preserved turnip bits, chopped ginger root and garlic. Mix well and steam til firm. Sesame oil and soy sauce on the side if not already in the egg mixture. Steamed greens and rice alongside.

Extra ginger root on top. Why not, I can’t get enough of it.

4 Likes

Today is rainy, our version of cold, and the wind has really picked up (high wind warning according to the weather channel app.) I’ve been doing some general weekend cooking like making chicken stock so soup seems like a logical next step. We’re going to try the sweet potato and bacon soup from meljoulwan.com. It is seasoned with ras el hanout. I’m also making beef rendang today for tomorrow’s dinner since it’s even better the next day (just don’t cook it quite to dry on the first day so it can be heated through while finishing the second day.)

2 Likes

Last dinner in January 2016. Japanese fried noodles with duck, cabbage and fennel, with Korean seasoned sesame leaves.

WFD was Biscuits and Gravy! I’ve never made it before – I’m not the breakfast maker in this house, but my husband (the breakfast maker) has requested it. The biscuits are the Touch of Grace ones because my second son’s fabulous girlfriend brought me some White Lily flour over the holidays. This is the second time I’ve made the biscuits and, of course, this time I screwed them up. Could Not figure out why they were taking so long to cook: after 25 minutes I realized the oven was set at 350 instead of 425. Ugh. Increased the temperature, totally expecting them to be hockey pucks
but, despite that, they are tender and tasty. I guess they just can’t be messed up.

The biscuits and gravy? O.M.G. I LOVE this. What a GREAT breakfast this would be (of course if someone else makes it for me!) Hangover food!

We did have Bahama Mamas served straight up as the pre-dinner cocktail.

4 Likes

Tonight I made a Mexican mole with chicken. A chicken was deboned and cubed and the bones and scraps were tossed in a pressure cooker to make stock. Both were used in the mole. A couple of yellow onions and a couple of poblano peppers were sliced and made its way in to the mole until they basically dissolved. Served with rice and fresh corn tortillas with avocado, cilantro and lime.

Such a great Oaxacan dish.

1 Like

This recipe was posted a few days ago in one of my food groups on FB. It hit all of the right notes for me (except the dreaded cilantro). Only thing (other than the dreaded cilantro) I didn’t do was broil the chicken. I was using a Pyrex baking dish, and didn’t want to run the risk of a kasplosion. I just upped the heat to 425° for the last 15-20 minutes, and basted a couple of times after the foil came off. It was very good!

Sides were basmati rice with “leftover” minced parsley, and steamed green beans. Wine.

2 Likes

Tonight we smoked three racks of ribs. We do our ribs in the style of Columbus, GA with our own twists. The ribs were rubbed and sat for 30 hrs before they were introduced to the smoke. Our mop sauce, only applied in the final hour, is a mustard based sauce. Though I hesitate to mention weather, we were lucky and the temps reached just under 60º. Mr. SMT was able to do some yard work while the ribs smoked.

Sides were a German, warm potato salad [requested by the girl-child,] corn bread [a recipe from Gourmet cookbook,] and a large green salad.

Two racks will go into the freezer, divided into double portions, and we can pull them out when winter is getting us down.

3 Likes

Been a crazy few days. My brother had a heart attack. Luckily he was at his race track with ambulances standing by so they realized what was happening and got him to the hospital immediately. Thank goodness he wasn’t driving or by himself. 48 hours later with 2 stints he is home and feeling great! He said one valve is called the widow maker since problems don’t always show up with ekg or stress tests. Glad he proved it wrong.
Still quite shaken but I guess it can be utilized as a good wake up call.

Did an hour drive to my work home with the kitties today. Howling was constant but moderate volume from one of the boyz. The circus cat just settles down and travels nicely then hisses when released from the carrier. They remembered the house and have settled in fairly quickly.

Dinner has been nibbles while bingeing on Forensic Files: a frozen package of stuffed potato skins ('cos there was a dab of sour cream that needed to be used), cheese and crackers and 3 fig newtons (1 cent at Walgreens!). Guess I’m tempting fate…

Pot roast tomorrow. The evening will be supervising the kitties with my friends dog. Should be interesting.

(spelll check is not cooperating so apologies to those who get frustrated by that sort of thing)

So sorry to read about your brother, MN3. But, on the other hand that he’s now doing well now makes me smile.

1 Like

Glad to hear your brother’s ok. My man has two stents & is doing fantastic.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #6 - Feb 2016. The Hunker Down Edition

Yikes - VERY glad he’s OK and home and feeling better. You’re a brave person to take a couple o’ cats on the road with you. Even if just an hour.

1 Like

We had been doing a 13 hour drive to Fl. several times a year. Jojo (the circus cat) just settles down and not a peep from him. Mr. Harley starts channeling Bob Marley and howls the entire time. Even kitty Valium has no effect. Absolutely nerve wracking…

Brought the dog home from day school and they had her worn out. She has been very respectful thus far. Laying on the sofa and avoiding direct eye contact with the cats. Jojo was hiding under the porch sofa. But then it started raining. Finally decided indoors held less terror. Came in and of course began drinking from the dogs bowl!

I had a very late lunch at a meatn3 in a neighboring town since I wanted to scope it out for possible relocation. Grilled pork chops, collards and crowder peas with corn along with a rather dense fine grained corn bread. Quite good except the pork chops were rather salty for me.

Since I’m on inter-species patrol dinner will be either grilled cheese or left over pizza. I remembered my friends cookware incorrectly so didn’t bring my dutch oven for the pot roast. If the beasts settle down I’ll prep everything and use her crock pot tomorrow.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

We used to chat on chowpuppy Harters. Is it wrong that I joined mostly to read you again? Lingua told me you were here woot. Love stories about Harters Hall etc. It is true that unleashing the hounds on chowhound gave me a nudge that I needed. Someday I Will have baked beans over toast for breakfast.