What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

WFD last night was a quickie (vegetarian) taco salad at a buddy’s house, where our gang was hanging down – snarfed down during a slump in my shift.

Not sure if there will be dinner tonight, as we had a ridiculously large dim sum brunch with friends, for which we severely over-ordered: everyone went home with leftover dumplings & rice rolls with shrimp, turnip cakes, etc. etc., so my man might dig into that… if he’s hungry.

As for myself, I may or may not have some wings later after work if I have enough energy to swing by the weekly blues jam. I’d like to, as I haven’t seen my bandmates since our last show :frowning:

1 Like

We ventured out to scout the roads for my drive home and stopped by the pub for burgers and garlicky skinny fries. Hit the spot but the noise and throngs of people felt a bit surreal.

Took about 20 minutes to get my car up the drive and to the main road. I have a little hybrid and it just doesn’t have the weight or horsepower to plow through the white stuff. Luckily my cheesehead friend has winter down and managed it. She advised me to shut my eyes and hang on which I did. After five minutes of Mr. Toads wild ride we made it to the secondary road. Fortunately visiting friends in a suv arrived just as she began her walk home. Not as many abandoned wrecked cars on the interstate as I would have thought. Arrived home to a skating rink of ice. Amazing the difference between 3 counties, much more snow at her home and mainly ice at mine. Kitties were down to kibble crumbs which worries them greatly. We celebrated with a quarter can each of smelly food so the world is safely back on its axis. Massive grooming followed.

I’m skipping the smelly canned food and will probably opt for a grilled ham and cheese. We were out of bread with only American cheese slices so this craving has built for several days. Homemade pickles to go with. It’s almost February! Need to work through the pickled bounty so I have room for the next season!

7 Likes

Not too shabby!

8 Likes

I haz a sad. :frowning: But Tom Brady is still the GOAT. :slight_smile:

Dinner was pretty easy - Garlic-Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. I didn’t have any b/s chicken (WTH? On the list) so I deboned a big-ass Frankenchicken biso chicken breast. Three medium-small Yellow Gold potatoes were cut up, and there was about 6-8 large garlic cloves (peeled). Melted some butter in a baking dish, flipped the chicken, potatoes and garlic in it all, and sprinkled with s/p and minced rosemary.

Baked @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes, spooning some of the butter over halfway through, then drizzled about 1/4 cup of maple syrup over all and continued baking until done. Soft garlic gets smooshed all over the chicken, with some maple-butter spooned over all. Yum.

Oh yes. There’s wine to drown my sorrows. :frowning:

5 Likes

Pizza night! This is one of the few foods for which I will occasionally stray from low carb. WORTH IT. I made the crust (levain-risen, 75% hydration) on Friday and let it ferment slowly until today. White pie is coated with a sauce made of roasted garlic, cream and white wine, then topped with mozzarella, jack, cheddar, aged manchego and parmesan, plus dollops of ricotta. The other two are tomato sauce with pepperoni and jalapenos and pepperoni, black olives and roasted garlic. The white pie was the winner!

10 Likes

Soup and cheese night. Lentil soup with a pan fried fois gras. The fois gras was supposedly to be eaten in the Christmas period, but tossed into the freezer instead. Cheese was baked Mont d’Or. (More on the cheese thread here)

Went out as usual after dinner to give the leftover of my cat to the street cats. No cats tonight, but I saw my first hedgehog in my life. Apparently it tried to take over the cats’ place! I didn’t know they have the same diet as cats.

7 Likes

Football food: Alton’s Buffalo wings, mac salad, with among other things carrots & celery with a blue cheese dressing & doctored up canned pinto beans. Yesterday was freezer left overs as it will be for the rest of this week. My condolences LW, great game.

3 Likes

Sunday “brunch” was French toast with eggs and bacon. Mr. SMT consumed a large number of bread slices, so dinner was lighter.

Mr. SMT’s post-game tears may have over-salted his dinner which was a mixed vegetable soup. Started with onion, celery and carrots before adding some roasted tomatoes from last summer crops. Some lima beans, green beans, spinach and pasta pieces rounded out the chicken stock with parmesan rind. The best news is, there is enough for lunch tomorrow!

3 Likes

Got a good deal on boneless chuck roast, so dinner was pot roast with a bit of dijon, merlot, rosemary and thyme. Some potatoes, carrots and pearl onions finished the dish. For dessert, an unseasonable blueberry pie finished things off, thanks to a bargain on blueberries at Wegmans. Comfort food for a New England winter day, served with gratitude that we in the Boston area actually dodged the blizzard bullet…

3 Likes

indeed they do – people are urged to leave cat kibble out for them in the winter rather than dishes of milk.

I had two families of them - one at each end of my enormous garden when we lived in France. The first time I saw one was just at first light on a foggy morning - I had a busy day planned so was out hanging the sheets as soon as I could see to do so. Heard something shuffling around and looked down to see a spiny little tank trundling across the grass. They later got quite bold – one became a regular guest at garden barbecues – boldly wandering under the grill to see if anything had been dropped, and anywhere that food had been prepared.

The dog didn’t think much of this one afternoon and gave chase, much to my chagrin-- and came whimpering back to me with a couple of quills in his nose for his trouble. He would whine and bark at them after that, but never actually chased one again.

1 Like

Where’s the foie gras? I cook it about 30 seconds on one side and 20 seconds on the other.

Pic is last night’s cauliflower before roasting. It was so pretty.
Tonight was veggie soft tacos. Onion, carrot, a bit of cauliflower, and TJ’s soy chorizo, served in flour tortillas. Garnish was shredded cabbage and pickled jalapeños.

4 Likes

Lamps plus has almost the same if not the identical chandelier.
My sister recently moved from SF to Sausalito and picked up two similar fixtures for a hallway…
The baubles create the most interesting funky patterns
I’m posting a picture of her dinner tonight to stay on topic
Marinated chicken with a side of rice primavera ala my sister

2 Likes

It’s there, the piece on the top of the soup. The soup was an entry.

1 Like

Mine was good but I’d have liked Naf’s! :@)) :@))

I rarely buy any meat/fish/food that is pre-seasoned but whilst in the Turkish butcher’s shop getting my lamb mince I thought maybe I’d try their lamb shawarma for once. Was expecting lots of salt and cumin etc but it was actually quite nice. Not salty at all and the spices (whatever they were) were not overpowering. At the end of the day I still want to slice the meat and season it myself.

Btw, this was last night. Flat bread is toothsome. I buy it sometimes to go with BBQ’ed lamb etc. Big sign on the window of the Turk shop states it is a kind of Iraqi flat bread baked in a drum (also has a picture of the drum).

Bread is bigger than the plate. I like my lamb with garlicky yoghurt.

3 Likes

It was Japanese last night. A large batch of sweet corn was charcoal grilled along with some rice balls. They were brushed with soy and butter while cooking and finished with some yakatori sauce. Pickled plums and quick pickled daikon made the line up as did some cucumber batons. A nice light meal for yet another hot night.

There’s plenty of cooked sweet corn left over and I need to get some work done tonight so I’ve told the bloke he’s on dinner duty. I’m expecting he’ll whip up some sort of salad.

3 Likes

I don’t know what I’m doing, this season Top Chef debuted tonight, so I’m half cooking half watching.

Roasted pork with curcuma and Japanese sweet wine Mirin with a yogurt sauce: fresh curcuma, lots of pepper (black and red). The sauce should look more yellow than on the photo. We finished the leftover lentil soup of yesterday (no fois gras tonight!) Quite ok for last minute invention.

Forgot the gloves when grating the turmeric, now I have such beautiful yellow hands and nails. (Great! Meeting with new clients tomorrow :grin:)

4 Likes

The dinner looked great. except that dish of green things (peppers!), looks too hot (for me)!

I love Japanese charcoal grill, always delicious!

2 Likes

I found this on orangette and had everything on hand. The kale is boiled (!) and becomes soft and silky. I used a heavy hand with the olive oil, better than bullion veg for broth and added garbanzos at the end instead of topping with an egg. Thick slice of toasted seedy bread.
Surprisingly good and rather simple

2 Likes

Last night was supposed to be a ham hock with parsley sauce from Diana Henry’s Plenty but the ham hock had NO meat on it. It was a different brand from a different store. Lesson learned.

Quick change of plans and I browned a pork chop, then made a sort of
onion gravy and popped that into the oven to bake with a sweet potato.
Green salad as well with my favorite sweetish vinaigrette with tarragon
vinegar.

2 Likes