What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Such a comfort meal, homemade pierogi?

@paryzer

Your meal are so colourful! Jealous! Just like eating in a restaurant everyday!
Just curious, you can finish each meal a bottle of wine?

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Our beautiful gardens (a break from food farming)

Yum!

1 Like

Nah, bought from Eastern European market.

Thank you naf! We only drink wine on the weekends (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday). We are fortunate to have a lot of BYOs in NJ, and I bring my wine (and wine glasses :grinning: ) to the restaurants when we dine out on Saturday & Sunday.
By the way, that dinner you had at l’Arcane last night looked spectacular, with beautiful wine pairings! The pictures you took were beautiful. I could almost taste the food from the pictures :yum:

1 Like

You’re probably about 700km south of me.

What’s your day temperature now? 13ºC today here.

It’s been about the same for us today - feels cold after the high record breaking temperatures of earlier in the week.

We dodged a snow-bullet here in the Boston area this morning. Let’s see if we can do the same on Monday morning, although I don’t think we can avoid the freeze that’s hitting after that. Anyway, last night was chicken marsala on fresh rotini. Unfortunately, most of the sauce and mushrooms got lost in the rotini, so the dish looks a lot drier than it was. Simple blanched buttered green beans and crusty ficelle on the side. Next time I’ll use more mushrooms.

13 Likes

Dinner tonight, Korean spicy tofu stew with shrimps and mushrooms. Seaweed, dried anchovy and chilis as soup base. Accompanied with rice.

16 Likes

Spent the day with my wife walking the causeway and a piece of sand called honeymoon island in my town of Dunedin. Probably 12-14 miles. Small breakfast, no lunch, lots of water, so ready for dinner.

Prepped 2 chickens when we got home, split them in half and seasoned them with a salt/sugar mix to rest overnight before hitting the smoker tomorrow. Cooking for my son, his girlfriend and my BIL. Then settled down to making dinner. Simple bagged Rana brand mushroom ravioli which was topped and mixed with butter sautéed sliced brown mushrooms, fresh thyme and a generous spill of 2014 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast Pinot and side salad. The ravioli was delicious with that mushroom sauté.

9 Likes

Powered up Cabbage Soup. Emptied the 'fridge. La Brea Three Cheese Semolina Bread as a go-with was a bust. Soup? Tasty.

10 Likes

A supremely lazy-ass day. Not a whole lot of snow, but it made today an “inside day.”

I didn’t even do the invoicing I should have for work. I’ll deal with that tomorrow, said Scarlett.

Tonight’s dinner was pan-seared and roasted duck breast with a bit of spicy mango-plum sauce, Israeli couscous, and steamed asparagus.

There was probably more wine than I should have had, but whatevs. I’m not going anywhere until tomorrow.

19 Likes

I get it. I totally get it!

1 Like

The skin on that looked perfect.

2 Likes

My kombucha has been giving me such troubles ever since having to start over again with new scoby in January, but finally have everything on point again and back to the right flavor and carbonation. Hard to tell from photo but this one was extra fizzy with baby bubbles like champagne :)) lemon ginger flavor with a tiny bit of maple instead of sugar for the second ferment

Fancy salad tonight! Found some local organic herb mix greens on special clearance, added some to my usual iceburg since i need some crunchy lettuce in there too. Plus cucumbers, olives, sunflower seeds and cilantro

And a seriously enormous orange

11 Likes

Didn’t feel like going out to dinner after a lazy day puttering around.

Cooked the gorgeous king oyster mushrooms I bought last weekend before it was too late. Sliced up and sautéed most of them for later use, and grilled one with tare sauce for dinner. Not many of the “for later” batch survived either :grimacing:

15 Likes

Did the skin come out crunchy?
I buy D’artagnan’s duck breast and use their recipe but often, mine does not come out crunchy enough.( I like ti to be crunchy like pork belly) Any tricks? I follow advise of D’artagnans, that would be
Heat a large dry skillet over medium‑low heat. Add the breasts skin side down and sear until crisp, allowing the fat to render slowly, 10 to 15 minutes. Don’t rush this—the last thing you want is a mouthful of chewy fat. Flip and sear the other side for 3 to 4 minutes.

THANKS

1 Like

I usually follow the advice I read somewhere to start the breasts in a cold frying pan and heat it up from there. So long as you leave it untouched until you’re fairly sure it’s crisped up, then it should be OK. Then flip it. You get crispy skin but I’ve never eaten duck that has a crunchy skin like pork crackling - it’s like the crispy skin you get on chicken.

Alternatively - https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/how-to/how-to-cook-duck-breast

1 Like