What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Shaljam Gosht, i.e. turnips and meat. Goat meat in this case. I actually prefer lamb for this dish, but only goat was available.

10 Likes

Gosh, this is amazing. My dad always reminisces about shalgam gosht! He remembers it being made with baby turnips. The rest of us refused to eat turnips as kids, so it worked itself out of rotation… maybe I’ll ask mom to make it over the holidays given this timely pictorial reminder!

2 Likes

I didnt like it as a kid. I married into a family that executes it well, plus when I was on my own I started purchasing turnips from the farmers market. Now I love the dish.

Hope the surgery went well and you are comfortably recovering!

2 Likes

Lidl had roasted duck halves last week and I couldn’t resist! I also had a lot off odds and ends in the fridge so a plan emerged. Used the last of 5 ingredients. :slightly_smiling_face:

Roast duck with garlicky roasted potatoes and carrots, Shredded Brussels sprouts cooked in a pan garnished with roasted grapes, pickled pear and walnut bits. The sweet and bitter aspects of the Brussels sprout dish nicely balanced the richness of the duck. It was a very satisfying meal on yet another dreary grey rainy day.

Dinner was also designed to entice the reluctant eater kitty. First week he lost 1 lb. Second week lost .25 lb. but he was hydrated! Back on daily appetite stimulant medicine. Turned up his nose at tonight’s duck…Oddly he has been most excited about peanuts when I was snacking on some. The vet ok’d adding some bits of peanuts to his kibble. His dry food intake doubled with that trick! The newbie is a bear to give meds to. Since he is not interested in food the “mash it up and bury it in something stinky” trick just doesn’t work. I’ve asked the Circus Cat to coach him!

12 Likes

How do you finish them so they’re not overcooked? I saw them at Aldi too.

1 Like

I had the duck at room temperature for about 40 minutes then placed it atop the almost finished roast vegetables and cooked at 375 for about 15 minutes. The meat wasn’t piping hot but it was warmed through and moist and juicy.

2 Likes

Last night was a cup of lackluster moroccan lentil soup from Pret at the train station, got back to my nyc apt after 9pm. Found a fancy pretzel thing from a work holiday gift basket I forgot was tucked into my bag! There was coconut with a drizzle of dark chocolate involved. Pretty good

I cooked my own dinner tonight!! Yaaaayyyy!! Sounds a little odd but i love the combo of tomato and peanut butter, so soup involved onions, lots of garlic, tomato paste, peanut butter , roasted veg better than bullion, canned tomatoes, zucchini, and added in chickpeas after the photo. Looked better cooking than it did when done. Really hit the spot. Most of the rest will go to the freezer which desperately needs replenishing.

14 Likes

I keep vowing to post here more often since I always enjoy seeing what everyone is doing, but somehow keep slacking off. Plus, my photography and food presentation skills suck (I know, you don’t have to be a professional to post here!). Anyway, this week I actually planned ahead a bit and put together a roasted butternut squash and bechamel lasagna on Tuesday night to bake on Wednesday. It was nice to have time to head to the gym after work and then come home to pop dinner into the oven. It was a little rich but tasty.

Last night I got some beautiful haddock at the market so fried fish sandwiches and double-fried french fries sounded good. I forgot lettuce and tomato, though. Bummer. Otherwise it hit the spot.

Tonight we’re off to Portsmouth NH with a friend to attend a Christmas concert, and then we’ll scurry over to a nice little bar whose kitchen stays open til midnight. It’s an annual tradition and one of the highlights of our holiday season. This year we’re spending the night and having brunch there tomorrow morning.

20 Likes

I enjoyed your rant- I’ll have to read more of your blog!

4 Likes

Those both look fantastic! Post more!

2 Likes

thank you, so appreciated!!

1 Like

wow that duck meal sounds great. thanks for reminding me I love brussels sprouts with roasted grapes and the pickled pear adds such an interesting touch. Love that the new kitty loves peanuts and that it’s OK for him to eat them!

1 Like

I’d love to hear where you ate and stayed in Portsmouth. We get there occasionally from Boston, nice city and the old architecture there with the water setting is great.

4 Likes

Asian pears have been priced fairly well at Lidl so I’m on my second batch. These refrigerator pickles are delicious and go really well with charcuterie. I had excess brine from the first batch and have been experimenting with using it when vinegar is called for.

2 Likes

Speedy meals these days. Need to finish all work before Wednesday, all the stress, I will work probably all day tomorrow (Sunday) Hopefully the project will get approved and I don’t need to work on vacation.

Fried rice, turkey, cabbage, leek, onion, egg, espelette pepper, ginger, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, seasame oil, black pepper. Well, that’s how I used up all the cabbage.

Soup noodle, miso soup base, with a dash of fish sauce, roasted pork, turnip, leek and rice noodle…

With the leftover ‘soup’ of mussel, i used it to cook pasta (last 3 minutes, I added some smoked trout, tomatoes and ciboulette

18 Likes

It was a very good day today after last night’s company holiday party, which went very well. People seemed to enjoy it. The sight-unseen centerpieces turned out beautifully (and several of us took our table’s centerpiece home, including me).

Open bar, and the food was VERY good. The apps were pork dumplings, chicken satay, scallops wrapped in bacon, asparagus with prosciutto and veggie spring rolls. The buffet was chopped wedge salad, roast sirloin, chicken with lemon, mushrooms, and capers, sauteed shrimp to order with garlic, white and wild rice, roasted red bliss potatoes, roasted veggies, and dinner rolls and butter. The dessert was a Viennese Table - assorted mini pastries, mini cheesecakes, fruit tarts, petit fours, and chocolate dipped strawberries. The ONLY thing I didn’t have were the strawberries - totally missed those!

I slept in this morning. Finny looks the way I felt waking up, but coffee and Advil helped. :wink:

2018-12-15-FinneganPartyTired1

Then down to visit with Mom, who was doing very well. Spent about 3 hours with her, then a quick shopping trip for ingredients for my contribution to the office pot luck on Wednesday - Thai Pasta Salad. Hannaford had chuck roasts on sale, so I picked up two - and one was dinner tonight - Red Wine & Tamarind Pot Roast, buttered baby potatoes and carrots. And wine. Not that I needed it after last night’s party, but hey, you know…

Oh - and I won $100 on a holiday scratch ticket. Yup, it was a very good day today.

19 Likes

I heard a Splendid Table piece on cookware that discussed Dutch ovens, which together with chilly, gray weather set off a chili craving:

We had corny cornbread, leftover zucchini salad, and another salad of grapes,zero shaved celery, and black olives in citronette on the side. DH made sundaes for dessert. Our friend with a new baby joined us.

15 Likes

what a great way to use leftover brine from refrigerator pickles. Never thought of it before…duh!!

are you by any chance a visual artist? Your dishes are so painterly…

2 Likes