What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Yum!

1 Like

Resourceful!!!

^^This. What you say brings such a big smile to my face that it may break. :laughing:

3 Likes

thank you!

You are too kind! I riffed on a recipe found here: https://www.thekitchn.com/2-ingredient-slow-cooker-dinners-262099

1 Like

New discussion is up here: Weekly Dinner Planning - 12/2018 - The Holiday Madness Edition

2 Likes

Tonight was quick but good: a loose riff on Sam Sifton’s miso-honey chicken adding garlic, sesame cauliflower-Jasmine rice pilaf, a fennel bulb roasted with the chicken, and buttered peas with ground ginger and coriander.

10 Likes

Wonderful choices. Terrific photo.

2 Likes

Aw, thanks. Skinless chicken, which now I am so used to.

Late dinner from fridge leftovers: chicken tikka, naan, and cabbage slaw.

11 Likes

Shaljam Gosht, i.e. turnips and meat. Goat meat in this case. I actually prefer lamb for this dish, but only goat was available.

10 Likes

Gosh, this is amazing. My dad always reminisces about shalgam gosht! He remembers it being made with baby turnips. The rest of us refused to eat turnips as kids, so it worked itself out of rotation… maybe I’ll ask mom to make it over the holidays given this timely pictorial reminder!

2 Likes

I didnt like it as a kid. I married into a family that executes it well, plus when I was on my own I started purchasing turnips from the farmers market. Now I love the dish.

Hope the surgery went well and you are comfortably recovering!

2 Likes

Lidl had roasted duck halves last week and I couldn’t resist! I also had a lot off odds and ends in the fridge so a plan emerged. Used the last of 5 ingredients. :slightly_smiling_face:

Roast duck with garlicky roasted potatoes and carrots, Shredded Brussels sprouts cooked in a pan garnished with roasted grapes, pickled pear and walnut bits. The sweet and bitter aspects of the Brussels sprout dish nicely balanced the richness of the duck. It was a very satisfying meal on yet another dreary grey rainy day.

Dinner was also designed to entice the reluctant eater kitty. First week he lost 1 lb. Second week lost .25 lb. but he was hydrated! Back on daily appetite stimulant medicine. Turned up his nose at tonight’s duck…Oddly he has been most excited about peanuts when I was snacking on some. The vet ok’d adding some bits of peanuts to his kibble. His dry food intake doubled with that trick! The newbie is a bear to give meds to. Since he is not interested in food the “mash it up and bury it in something stinky” trick just doesn’t work. I’ve asked the Circus Cat to coach him!

12 Likes

How do you finish them so they’re not overcooked? I saw them at Aldi too.

1 Like

I had the duck at room temperature for about 40 minutes then placed it atop the almost finished roast vegetables and cooked at 375 for about 15 minutes. The meat wasn’t piping hot but it was warmed through and moist and juicy.

2 Likes

Last night was a cup of lackluster moroccan lentil soup from Pret at the train station, got back to my nyc apt after 9pm. Found a fancy pretzel thing from a work holiday gift basket I forgot was tucked into my bag! There was coconut with a drizzle of dark chocolate involved. Pretty good

I cooked my own dinner tonight!! Yaaaayyyy!! Sounds a little odd but i love the combo of tomato and peanut butter, so soup involved onions, lots of garlic, tomato paste, peanut butter , roasted veg better than bullion, canned tomatoes, zucchini, and added in chickpeas after the photo. Looked better cooking than it did when done. Really hit the spot. Most of the rest will go to the freezer which desperately needs replenishing.

14 Likes

I keep vowing to post here more often since I always enjoy seeing what everyone is doing, but somehow keep slacking off. Plus, my photography and food presentation skills suck (I know, you don’t have to be a professional to post here!). Anyway, this week I actually planned ahead a bit and put together a roasted butternut squash and bechamel lasagna on Tuesday night to bake on Wednesday. It was nice to have time to head to the gym after work and then come home to pop dinner into the oven. It was a little rich but tasty.

Last night I got some beautiful haddock at the market so fried fish sandwiches and double-fried french fries sounded good. I forgot lettuce and tomato, though. Bummer. Otherwise it hit the spot.

Tonight we’re off to Portsmouth NH with a friend to attend a Christmas concert, and then we’ll scurry over to a nice little bar whose kitchen stays open til midnight. It’s an annual tradition and one of the highlights of our holiday season. This year we’re spending the night and having brunch there tomorrow morning.

20 Likes

I enjoyed your rant- I’ll have to read more of your blog!

4 Likes