What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Good luck to you, Rhc! That dinner sounds like it would be great scooped up on some pita bread.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the biscuit compliments. We’ve been practicing. With two people, we can keep swapping so we don’t get tired grating the frozen butter and, in general, we can work faster to keep everything cold. These were the best so far.

3 Likes

Black always work, except with my mom, she complains that I have too many clothes in black. But since I need to travel to see her, it’s a no fuss way with limited clothes.

3 Likes

I found my biscuits greatly improved once I used a box grater on frozen butter and moved fast. Handle it as lightly and quickly as I can. These look awesome. Now maybe I’ll have to make biscuits for dinner too. DARN! Ha!

2 Likes

Haha :joy:

2 Likes

Yep, finally on the road to right!

2 Likes

Looks fab

1 Like

Very simple eats tonight - two cans of drained chickpeas in the slow cooker with a jar of good marinara, a bay leaf, rosemary, crushed fennel, and chili flake. Added spinach a little before serving and dotted with mozarella. Served up with crusty, cheesy garlic bread, blistered garlic zukes, and cucumber salad.

Pumpkin and bourbon-brown sugar ice cream for dessert. And I rectified that wine problem.

14 Likes

Late night at work so quick dinner

Store bought mushroom ravioli with a side salad

10 Likes

Do you think about what you’re going to cook throughout the day, or is it just spur of the moment?

I try to plan for the week and generally try to get through my perishables before non-perishables and pantry/freezer stuff. I use a phone app called OurGroceries to keep running lists of dinner ideas and grocery lists. This one was a riff on an idea from a Serious Eats series on 2-ingredient slow-cooker meals.

Sides (esp the veg) are often spur-of-the-moment add-ons :slight_smile:

How about you? What works for you guys?

2 Likes

I tend to look in the fridge and freezer after getting home from work and think what can I make with what I have. Only occasional planning. For the most part an off the cuff cook…mmmm? Maybe we can make a food show around this?

dinner tonight wa

s simple
marinaded 2 chicken breasts , added a small amount of sweet potato starch, with Pixian broad beans sauce and Lao Gan Ma’s chili with black beans, shaoshing wine, reserved the small amount of marinade, dry fried the chicken with garlic ginger in EVOO.
Took chicken breast out, stir fried briefly asparagus and green peppers, took them out of the wok, added a small amount of reserved broth from last night’s shrimp shell ( had same dinner last night but used shrimp and squid asparagus and celeryinstead) into the marinade and then into the wok to deglaze until the mixture became thick then everything goes back into the wok.
This was served with rice
Process took 10 minutes or so ( picture shows the asparagus not mixed well as it was taken in a rush hoping I will not forget as I do often)

10 Likes

Would there be sufficient interest for a meal-planning thread on HO? Where we post our rough sketch for the week, recipe links, etc.? There is a very active weekly meal-planning thread on Chowhound…

3 Likes

That chickpea dinner sounds delicious! And i could totally manage that with limited groceries on an nyc night!
Nice wine cooler :joy:

3 Likes

Wound up putting together defrosted slabs of mac an cheese for melty mac and cheese burgers on toasted buns with root beer floats and peach pie my sister made in August. Total freezer dive comfort food. Tomorrow IF begins.

Rooster

7 Likes

Pie and floats? Lol you go down with a fight! Good luck fasting.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

Tonight’s dinner was chicken and beef momos sourced from a momo truck in queens (they sell them frozen in bulk in addition to cooked to eat on the spot), and homemade chicken and vegetable soup, all eaten together with friends & their kids.

I’m so often disappointed by momos I don’t know why I keep trying them… Either that or they were overcooked past death.

2 Likes