What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

We were bullied - sorry, I mean talked into '-) hosting another big NYE bash after a 3 year hiatus. Things like this always are a 3-day thing: prep before and on the day, not to mention cleaning up the aftermath… thus the long hiatus. But we are The Party Couple in town after all, so around 35 of our closest friends will be joining us for frolicking, drinking & dancing the night away…

• the house is clean & the dance floor installed, thanks to my wonderful man
  • I only destroyed maybe 15% of the flimsy decorations while trying to detangle and attach them at various places in the house
  • the PA is set up for ear-bleeding levels of music aka a 6 hr. playlist
  • I picked out my dress for tonight’s early evening show at a local church

Ciabatta sandwiches (veg/omni) have been prepared by the man, various cheeses and smoked salmon dip will be set out just before we leave for my show; there’s also a tray of Wegmans’ deviled eggs…

Our party doesn’t start until 9 PM, so there won’t be much dinner food, save for anything our guests might contribute.

Wishing everyone here a happy & healthy New Year and a wonderful night tonight, however you are celebrating (or, in the case of our HOs abroad, however you have celebrated).

1 Like

Have a fabulous time!

I have been carb binging before I must turn over a new leaf for 2016. Tacos with beans, hamburger with fries, tonight pizza and a bottle of bubbly for afters. New years day I will have the requisite black eyed peas with something, probably pork tenderloin, and then I shall go back to my low carb life style. Happy New Year everyone, may 2016 bring you good health, delicious food and drink.

3 Likes

Wonderful - happy anniversary, aussieshep! And happy new year!

1 Like

I’m ready to say “So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!” to 2015. It hasn’t treated me all that nicely for the last three months, so perhaps instead of just saying goodbye, I’ll kick it in its ass and out into the snow!

New Year’s dinner started off with a cheese and fruit course: Manchego cheese with a slice of mango membrillo topped with a Marcona almond; mini-rolls of prosciutto, and a clementine pinwheel.

Dinner was Scallops with Saffron Cream Sauce, basmati rice, and asparagus. (Should have mixed the saffron sauce into the rice and then plated it. Oh well.)

Wine was Belcreme de Lys, and dessert will be mini vanilla and chocolate cheesecakes from WF.

Depending on the mood (and if I stay up that late), I might pour a flute of prosecco. Or I might just go to bed.

Wishing you all a healthy, happy, safe, prosperous and fun 2016.

7 Likes

Time to move on to a new thread, folks.

1 Like

If this restaurant is anywhere near NYC, I’d like the name, please.

Depends on your definition of near… about 4.5 hours from the city. Central PA.

Thanks for reply, but that’s a bit out of my range. I can find good Szechuan at more convenient locations. :blush:

Yah, I figured as much. But I am deliriously happy to have such a fab Sichuan place in my town… so whenever I visit the city, it’s not something I seek out.

I make this observation without comment*

At the time of me writing it, this thread started at the beginning of the month has attracted 99 replies.

An equivalent thread on “the old place” has attracted 27. And the previous full thread attracted 273 posts betwen 19/11 and 3/1.

(* Tee, hee)

4 Likes

And yet, even our own CM (over there) claims that people have simply moved on to the next thread… not other places.

Uh-huh, yeah '-D

Thx for the stats. Given that we are 109 posts on the first 7 days, 109 x 4 = 436 posts (counting only 28 days) let’s hope we can break our own record of the 1st edition (437 posts)!

They can’t even break 300 posts on a thread that is 1-1/2 months old. We used to create new WFD threads every 4-7 days when on the “old site”. And yet they claim they still are ramping up the numbers of users and posts.

To quote from “Butterflies Are Free” (which is where I first heard this saying) - there are none so blind as those who will not see.

1 Like

I gotta way that THIS WFD is much more appealing to me because there’s less chatter. Just saying:)

That may be because a number of folk with whom I used to happily chat with are not posting here. I miss their contribution and the chat with the community. But each to their own of course.

1 Like

Perhaps a dumb question, but have you reached out to them and tried to introduce them to the site?

In the mean time if you feel like you need a good chat session feel free to hit me up, I’ll chat with anyone! lol (I’ll also get in a van with strangers if they have vodka, steak or candy)

3 Likes

I believe that they know we exist but I think they are content to play on linguafood’s WFD Facebook group.

That lingua, nothing but trouble with that one! I’m actually a member of her facebook WFD group, I’m surprised at how popular it is for the limited number of members as it has. She has made several mentions to the members about Hungry Onion, I’m surprised more haven’t come over. Why not join the group yourself John?

Getting John on Fb is even more impossible than trying to get my WFDers over here.

Wah.

1 Like