What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Oh my. Crazy Day #1 over. Two more to go…at least during the weekdays. There WILL be work during the weekend.

Made it to my local butcher tonight with 5 minutes to spare before they closed to use my birthday coupon before the month ended. Bought some NY strip steaks, a chuck roast, and some sweet Italian sausage.

Tonight’s dinner was penne with broccoli, sausage, and red bell pepper and a spicy Parma-Rosa sauce.

The sausage was sauteed, then removed from the sauté pan.
I added a half cup of white wine to deglaze the sauté pan, then small broccoli florets and red bell pepper were added to sauté over high heat.

Meanwhile, the sauce was a couple of cups of tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes, some dried basil, oregano, s/p, a few pinches of sugar, and what ended up being too much Aleppo pepper for the spiciness. Not overly spicy - just a tad more than I usually go for. Heavy cream and Parm-Reg added at the end for the “parma” and “rosa” part.

Penne was cooked and drained, then added back to the pot with the sausage and sauteed vegetables. The sauce was poured over top, heated, plated, and some Parm-Reg sprinkled on top.

Oh - there WAS wine. Fortification was needed. And plenty of leftovers for the next couple of days’ lunch, as I won’t have any time to even think about cooking.

10 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised!! The coffee unfortunately tastes like sawdust, but there’s a good coffee portion of the cafeteria building that has saved me. It’s a regular drip coffee maker so i’m bringing some good coffee for next week and a mini pourover thingy for my mug

3 Likes

Another very long intense day, prepping for BFD meeting that happened this afternoon. I think lunch was a few packets of Halloween sugar candy and a diet coke. Thankfully said meeting went well.
Got a recommendation from a coworker for tonight’s delivery, another 12hr day couldn’t even deal with going anywhere…
mysterious veggie soup with some barley like grains and a lot more celery than necessary (i miss my own soups!!) side of great babaganoush and kinda crummy pita- and a lot of it! Better dipped in the soup than used for the babaganoush. Good enough.
The cookie jar is tempting but i woke up in the night with a grumpy tummy when i had one as dinner the other night- dumb butter. Might have a little chunk of one and save the rest, they’re SO good - they have a little salt on the top!

Back to nyc tomorrow night, will be nice to sleep in my own bed, although I’m into the view on my morning walk and all this freaking fresh air

10 Likes

Wrong photo!
This one

Don’t mind the top of my head!! Haha!

7 Likes

Zucchini butter tonight. It was on one of the threads a while back. Some had with rice, some with bread, I used it as relief between apples. Very good.

2 Likes

Nice photos! Sounds like you are enjoying yourself.

1 Like

@Ttrockwood

Interesting, the dock! Some green at least. Hope you have some good rest in NY. Tough work!

Hey all, i’ve started a new thread here:

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

Thanks @mariacarmen
Now we are ready to move to November!

1 Like

MOD TALKING:
A big thank you to everybody! So many memorable meals and inspiration! Oct 2018 WFD edition has the best participation rate in HO history, outshines the WFD #5 Jan 2016 version. Keep up the lively discussions and adventures!

@sck

11 Likes

I got that email, and am thinking of making that for a meeting. Review’s were a bit mixed. Let me know if you tweaked it!

I didnt have anchovies and I did add the add’l root vegetables I mentioned earlier. The lemony sauce was very good but even w/out it the dish was satisfying. I plan on making it again this weekend for my family. I also tried making roasted cauliflower steaks for the first time using up that lemon dressing. Just as good, less fuss.

2 Likes

Lamb merguez sausage sampling last night. Trying to figure out what role the shape makes, and might try out some sauces tonight. Also figuring out “meatball” vs “sausage” recipe, which seems to me a matter of the amount of fat, and intensity of the seasonings. They were VERY tasty! Thanks to all my contributors on the other thread!

8 Likes

For this topic or any topic? I am thinking the former…

Moved to the Movember thread

For this edition of WFD#38 Oct, 2018! We got 692 post now (compared to 681 in Jan 2016). See screen capture below.

2 Likes

Cool!

I LOVE zucchini butter! It’s delicious on about anything. Also great made with coconut oil

1 Like

roasted 3 sweet potatoes that neighbor gave me yesterday, had it for lunch
was good
may\be for breakfast the next 2 days