What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Plus all that fat in a sausage and ground beef keeps it quite moist. :joy:I was careful not to overwork the meat. I’ll definitely be making this again when we have more tomatoes ready. My ninja mini chopper made quick work of the tomato-onion-garlic-parsley filling

1 Like

Crazy days at work, school is open!
A little cheat with Amy’s Cheese Enchiladas, our own salsa and home made Mexican style rice and sour cream. :wine_glass:

10 Likes

https://www.sarabeth.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

1 Like

When Sarabeth operated a restaurant off the lobby of the original Whitney Museum we enjoyed a weekend brunch there. We have also gone to one of the westside locations for pancakes and coffee. Her apricot orange jam is delicious and was gifted to me when I was in NYC working city events. That was my introduction. I have also toured her kitchen inside Chelsea Market.

Nice to know you are just as familiar and a fan.

1 Like

I only know her jams from TXMaxx blush

3 Likes

We’re in the midst of a heatwave. Schools without A/C closed early Tuesday and will remain closed through tomorrow!

I steamed corn I had purchased at the farmer’s market this morning, and was dreading further heating up the kitchen in this oppressive heat. Then, a Hyderabadi aunty dropped off some goat biryani. I thanked my lucky stars and whipped up a batch of cucumber raita.

I mixed pureed watermelon with lime juice and simple syrup for a drink, and had a bowl of sugar cube melon slices afterward.

Earlier in the day I ate the last of our labor day batch of chocolate-sesame cucpakes, inspired by the chocolate cake thread. We used this recipe, substituting tahini for the peanut butter.

16 Likes

Ha! Imagine that😉

1 Like

I wish had your aunties here… :smile:

5 Likes

Last night made a pan seared chicken breast served with fried okra and tomatoes. The okra Inspired from a dish I learned of from Suvir Saran when he frequented eGullet

12 Likes

Please share!

1 Like

I just wing it but here is a recipe from Food and Wine

2 Likes

I threw two whole eggplants on the grill after we were done cooking steaks and burgers last weekend, and they had been languishing in the fridge every since. So, last night I turned them into a non-traditional baba ganoush, with plenty of lemon, garlic and tahini, plus cilantro and fresh jalapeno. Super tasty! Served alongside some spicy sausages last night, with plenty left for spreading on all sorts of things in the coming days. A gift that keeps on giving!

6 Likes

@ChristinaM if you don’t want to deep fry the okra, I crisp it up in the oven after tossing with oil, or even (surprisingly) in the microwave. Sprinkle chat masala after - so good! Salt after - the okra shrinks down a lot.

3 Likes

Good suggestions

This cannot be stressed enough. I think Indian-Pakistani okra (bhindi) preparations are one of the highlights of the cuisine. Bhindi with roti is one of my favorite dishes my mom makes (she gets annoyed when I say that because it’s simple for her. )

1 Like

Good tip. Very often simple dishes are endearing favorites.

I have to say the attribution of “inventing” this dish to his 7-year-old self made me laugh… many south asian homes have a version of fried okra :joy:

My own “invention” was to force mom to cook my portion of any okra dish until the okra got crisp (she would say burnt) because I hated the slime :joy:

1 Like

Hodge podge meal. The lady of the house is on a cruise with gf’s. So I made a dragon bowl from lots of frig stuff. Pulled out my dusty LPs, opened the windows and put the scotch on ice.

In about an hour I expect the guys whose wives joined mine to be here ready to play poker.

Cheers!

7 Likes

A Turkish friend of ours once told us how to prepare okra. When you cut off the end, cut just a little bit, leaving the capsule closed. Then you can prepare it any which way. If the whole thing is cut open, prepare it in oil only, without water.

1 Like

I’m sure it was a dish from his childhood.