What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

those are the best looking zoodles i’ve seen yet.

and good job on eating all of the monster!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Those ARE good looking zoodles!

Have you tried Kenjis best seared pork chop recipe?

Perfect Pan-Seared Pork Chops Recipe

You have to plan ahead, though.

3 Likes

Broiled shrimp and cod over linguini with lots of lemon, fresh herbs and parm. Roasted asparagus and Vino.

Cubed fresh papaya and mango over the last batch of peach ice cream.

Cheers🍷
Rooster

8 Likes

What is janes crazy mixed up salt?

Vietnamese style prawn with lemongrass, garlic, nuoc mam, wine, ginger and coriander.

Inspired from the discussion on chicken skin yakitori. My version:

With a fig salad.

Not intentional, but we had some gnocchi in the freezer. From Nice rather than Italy or Spain. Home grown tomatoes, pancetta, burrata, olives and garlic confit.

Tonight, nothing fancy, chicken curry with lemon grass, ginger and coconut milk. Sauce was the best.

16 Likes

Oooh it’s like salty magic! Just salt and their proprietary herbs and spice mix
Usually just in regular grocery stores, seems to be fairly easy to find for me

3 Likes

A small, well-trimmed pork shoulder roast was turned into David Chang’s bo ssam. That “rice” is about 75% cauliflower. Ginger-scallion-cilantro sauce, Chang’s own bottled ssam sauce, kimchi, and jalapeños rounded out the offering. Garlic long beans as the side.

Drinking 14 Hands Hot to Trot white for dessert.

16 Likes

was home roasting eggplants on the grille this evening for more baba ganoush while cooling off in the pool after a 7 mile beach walk. Had to run into the office to see a patient, big retinal detachment!! By time I got him dilated, diagnosed and contacted my favorite retinal surgeon to get him in tomorrow morning it’s late and my hunger is gone

A nice aged Gouda and crackers will fit the bill after finishing my cigar which I had just started when I got the call. A little Clement rum agricole to get me back in the groove

10 Likes

I will look for it, thxs.

1 Like

Made a “sugar free” apple tart: puff pastry, golden raisins, honeycrisp apples, cinnamon, sliced almonds, and butter. It had no business being as good as it was. I am confused.

Also roasted zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, and red bell peppers with olive oil, salt/pepper, thyme, and oregano. Made a “stack” of these with fresh mozeralla, and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. The non-dieters got a sandwich version on a pita-like bread. It was really good, could not even take a picture it was all gone.

Two observations. First, don’t trust the cooking programs that have you throw everything on bare sheet pans. It will stick and cleanup is a pain. I wish I used foil or parchment. Second, doing simple food well is really hard. You have to source really good ingredients and then prepare and cook it perfectly. I finally nailed it this time. People are intimidated by Pakistani food, but it has a much higher margin of error.

8 Likes

I stopped by to visit my bff and my favorite baby who is now my favorite one year old!!! I am baffled how that happened already… I volunteered to pick up snacky things and was craving guacamole so i made us a quick big batch since my best friend in law loves the stuff and yet they buy it already made (omfg don’t even get me started on that).
Went well with the bubbly!

Down to the last of the watermelon… :cry: i put some in the freezer and made a half recipe of this slushie when i got home since it’s weird warm today. Swapped in some cilantro instead of mint and didn’t use coconut water.
Wasn’t especially photogenic, but very refreshing. If you haven’t read thug kitchen’s recipes before they’re certainly amusing (and contain a lot of foul language so proceed at your own risk)
https://www.thugkitchen.com/watermelon_cucumber_slushie

4 Likes

Not really cool enough for soup, but it’s clean out the refrigerator time before we leave for the big wedding in Minneapolis next week… Look close & you’ll see more of those zukes! Add a nice glass of rose :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hubby slow roasted this lovely’s picnic shoulder for 8 hours at 250 degrees. The crackly skin came off in one huge piece-I had to force myself not to eat all of it (Hubby doesn’t like it). Served it with romesco sauce, fresh made aioli and sautéed yellow squash for a veggie.

14 Likes

The precut packages of sandwich Aluminum foil are very quick and handy, and they perfectly fit my counter top toaster/oven tray.
I got introduced to parchment about 25 years ago in a bread baking class I took…I use it for everything roasted if I am not using a disposable pan or tray.

1 Like

Yum!

This is the “sugar free” tart I wrote about yesterday, sweetened with apples and a few golden raisins (i cheated and used TJ puff pastry):

Wanted to share a picture of a maclair (macaron + eclair) from a local pastry shop. Sometimes I get annoyed with the hybrids, cronut, croffin, scookie, sconut (what I call my triangle shaped doughnuts.) Yes, I annoy myself.

Dinner: sticky rice with Thai fermented fish chili paste. Sorry, I forgot what it’s called. I buy a few containers every year at the local Songkran festival.

13 Likes

Roasted a pork loin in sesame oil and hoisin sauce earlier and enjoyed slices on warmed ciabatta garlic bread for dinner. Vino and frozen grapes.

Celebrating my 60th at a few concerts with the wife, kid and a few pals this wknd. Catch you on the other side!

:tumbler_glass:Rooster

15 Likes

Happy birthday, Dan! I really enjoy your contributions.

5 Likes

Refried bean and avocado bolillo roll with chipotle cheddar, jalapeño creamy slaw, roasted asparagus. Cocktails out after.

11 Likes