What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

So glad the kitty is improving!

2 Likes

Visit with Mom.
A few errands, including my Happy Place, Wegmans, which was crazy-busy.

Dinner was pan-seared scallops with saffron cream sauce, Israeli couscous and steamed asparagus. Didn’t do a great job on the scallops, but they still tasted good!

Wine. And there’s work tomorrow. How did that happen so fast?

An extra pic of the RAWR!!! pic of Alfie, the Fierce Kitteh who while he looks fierce, was only stretching and yawning while in super-relax mode on the back of the couch. LOL

16 Likes

Had a nice meal with the family in a restaurant known for lobster pizza. Earlier in the day made homemade hummus for the first time. Now Im kicking with my gal back waiting for a movie to come on.

Enjoy your evening!

6 Likes

Dinner tonight is 3 racks of smoked St Louis ribs in my MAK pellet smoker using COOKIN PELLETS PERFECT MIX which is a mixture of cherry, hard maple, hickory and apple

At 250 degrees for 3 hours followed by 175 ( smoke set point ) for another 2.5 hours

Recipe is from Goldwyn’s Meahhead’s Amazing Ribs using kosher salt the night before, brushed with peanut oil, then his Memphis dust recipe as rub before smoking. When the ribs were cooked, ( crack test as thermometer will not worlkon ribs, that is bend the ribs, bends, it is ready.

I brushed both sides with Stubb’s spicy BBQ sauce, move the ribs to a hot grill for just a few minutes until the sauce sizzled and bubbled. This just caramels the sauce , takes less. Than 3 minutes with my ceramic grill.

Also had left over chicken soup and garlic French bread with bruschetta as I have only 3 racks for us ( my son and his friend visiting from he Netherland but two of the other guest who were his guest in the boat overnight stayed for dinner too. They had a light lunch ( grilled salmon) so, thought they would be very hungry and they were!

Dessert was Costco’s baklava.

Memphis dust recipe ( I usually mix this , store them for ribs and Carolina pulled pork )

3/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cp of white granulated sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 Tbsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp anger powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp rosemary powder

FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES ! HEAVY RAIN AS THE BOAT WAS DOCKING, had to help dry the Pomeranians , get dinner ready which was a bit hectic with the guest and my son hungry and taking showers .

The ribs were excellent, all gone except a bit over half a rack which our guest helped wrapped and stored in fridge Here is a picture, just unwrapped this left over piece from the fridge, It really was very good , moist and crunchy on the outside.

Picture does not look good.

Cannot find the left over box of baklava!!! Maybe they took it downstairs since they are staying over to watch a movie.

12 Likes

Dinner tonight was seared chicken thighs in the cast iron, skin side down till
crispy and finished in the oven. Mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.
Oh-and some wine. No pictures. Too hungry!

6 Likes

He does look like a ferocious attack kitty!! Grocery shopping anywhere on a sunday seems to be extra stressful… your saffron cream sauce is so fancy!

2 Likes

Fancy tomatoes with lots of cilantro and peppery mix, there’s tofu in the bottom of the bowl and i added some soy sauce after the photo- very tasty since by the time i got to the tofu it soaked up the extra tomato juices and soy. Side pile of black seedless grapes- wish i had bought more, they’re super crunchy and i snacked on a bunch earlier. Kombucha a carte

13 Likes

Thanks . Where do I find two tbsp of anger. I like your technique.

1 Like

Really easy-peasy. And Alfie is really a pussycat. Both in temperament and in reality. LOL

2 Likes

Opor ayam - an Indonesian chicken curry from a packet seasoning mix. I added a can of coconut milk, crimini mushrooms, yellow squash, and seasoned chunks of b/s chicken thighs with Badia Adobo. Quick work in the PC. Served with rice and steamed “Asian” veggies that I doctored with butter, soy sauce, and homemade chili oil alongside.

Too bad about all the chemical flavor enhancers.

6 Likes

Keeping it simple with the kids and BIL over for dinner

More smoked chicken thighs with corn, potato salad and leaf salad sides

12 Likes

Dinner tonight was tomato pie!

Many of the recipes I’ve seen for a southern style tomato pie seem very rich. I like pimento cheese and I love tomatoes. But combining them in a tomato pie seems like the tomato flavor would be lost.

This recipe gave me the lighter, garden fresh flavor I was looking for. I made a few small changes. The biggest change was to salt the sliced tomatoes and let drain for an hour. I’m glad I did this because the finished pie was still a little wetter than I had hoped for. Not a problem unless there are leftovers!

This recipe is a keeper for me.

12 Likes

Ancho chiles are included in several of my Spanish cookbooks in recipes for romesco sauce. Some of the cookbooks date from before the time smoked Spanish paprika became widely available in the US. I use both anchos and smoked paprika. After it sits around for a day or so, it gets really mellow and delicious. I think the Spanish ˜Nora chile might be more traditional in Spain, but that chile isn’t often available in the US.

2 Likes

this recipe for tomato pie is on my list to try. I love pimento cheese and in Boston I make it myself as the few renditions found here are mostly cream cheese, and I too would not like it on tomato pie. I do love roasted red peppers with lots of tomatoes with mostly tomatoes so I might add a few pureed. I like Vivian Howard’s technique of using both cooked and drained raw tomatoes. Our best local heirlooms are finally coming in at reasonable prices and I bought almost 10 pounds yesterday.

2 Likes

he’s adorable! which Wegman’s do you go to?

Dinner last night was a scallop egg foo yung with brown sauce- it was quite tasty.

Tonight I have a chicken, rice and broccoli casserole baking in the oven. I kind of threw stuff together, so I hope the rice manages to turn out ok!

8 Likes

We enjoyed my first attempt at hummus, served with raw vegetables and warmed lavash bread.

Then we had grilled lamb with a nice pitcher of Rose sangria.

10 Likes

Congrats on the hummus. Hopefully something you will make often

3 Likes

Thanks. Im still figuring a few things out…like the value of the cooking water and how much garlic I want.

2 Likes

No leftovers from the weekend’s dinners, and had nothing in the freezer to pull out.

Fettuccine Carbonara with Asparagus was what I came up with. Quick and relatively easy to make. It came out quite nicely.

14 Likes