What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

I would be VERY into that meal!!

1 Like

Cucumbers, radishes, cilantro (no stems!), some vidalia onion and a splash of rice wine vinegar and peppery mix. A few of those hideous but tasty faux chicken tenders on the side. And some pretzel fishies. Kombucha as usual.

There are two lonely mini mango mochi in the freezer that probably won’t live to see tomorrow.

12 Likes

Did you make yours? What’s your recipe?

Oh yeah, have been for about a year. It’s the basic tea and sugar combo- i get better carbonation with green tea somehow- and then let it ferment with the scoby and previous bit of tea. Doesn’t take as long in the summer!
I juice a bunch of lemons and good sized hunk of ginger and add a bit of that to flavor it when I do the bottling. Gotta say i mastered this flavor combo, I usually get great flavor and carbonation

3 Likes

I prepped two lovely pork tenderloins for the sous vide bath this morning - rubbed with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and sealed a few sprigs of pineapple sage and thyme in the bag. They’ll get a couple of hours at 125, then a good sear. I’m planning to make a spicy peach and onion chutney of sorts to go with the pork, and a side of sautéed haricots verts with almonds and preserved lemon.

8 Likes

I was helping a friend of a friend yesterday and today at a trade show in the wasteland that is the immediate area around Penn station- only good thing about the area is the food hall thing had a stand called “little beet” so i picked up dinner there last night from the make your own plate option. It was little roasted sweet potatoes, a sesame/cucumber cabbage seaweed slaw (with a bizarre ton of purple seaweed in it!), and a radish, sugar snap peas, peas, and quinoa thing. Pickled onions as my garnish- which i removed, they were really sweet! And in the corner was a red pepper walnut something sauce.
Had some of it last night over salad greens and the rest of it tonight with greens and some tofu.
Not sure i’ll make a point of returning, it was a lot more oily than i’m used to and everything needed some salt or acid.

9 Likes

Interesting. No surprise you made the most of the gig👍

1 Like

Chicken tostadas last night. Bad Chinese tonight.20180807_204215

8 Likes

Restaurant Chinese? Chinese food is one area that Asheville was severely lacking in when I lived there. Hopefully that has changed…

Bad Chinese food where I live. 100%

1 Like

Smoked a couple 4 packs of chicken thighs. Made a slaw and baked sweet potatoes. Side of extra chicken skin that was cut from the thighs, they always leave attached off the smoker. The chicharrones was my favorite part of the meal

16 Likes

Sometimes I don’t mind eating the same thing over and over. I usually change the starch. Chicken with peppers , garlic , red wine , and vinegar . Wine to drink. Cheers .:wine_glass:

5 Likes

Didn’t see it prior to posting but it seems August WFD was already started.

Mods please merge

2 Likes

Me too! (not confused with “#metoo”)

3 Likes

Last night’s dinner was D’artagnan’s duck confit casserole using their recipe with slight change
Ingredients were 3lbs rancho gordo’s coco tarbais beans soaked overnight, simmered for 1 h our on stove top after it came to a boil
6 duck confit legs, 2 lbs of browned andouille sausage ( did not have armanac nor garlic duck so substituted, added cognac to the dish at the last 15 min of baking for 3 hours, at 300 then up the heat to 425 for another 45 min till there was a crust but the crust took so long that I decided to follow other cook’s recipe of adding panko to make a crust

Dish was good but since this is the first time I used tarbais beans ( used to use cannelloni beans), I think next time, I would only. use 2 lbs instead of three as the beans were bigger, and did not break up . I scooped up some beans after dinner and will add it to a rotisserie chicken which I will make chicken soup with. We had the excellent D’artagnan’s wild boar and duck saucisson with cheese for lunch as was expecting a hefty heavy dinner.
Too tired , p[icture nto good but food great.

11 Likes

Your home-smoked thighs are always look so yummy. I love smoked foods.

2 Likes

cannot find the thread, so if I take more time to look, may forget to post
Have guest from Amsterdam for a month so am cooking a lot these days.
last night we had shrimp, squid , sausage cooked in Portuguese cataplana with potato focaccia.
today’s lunch is Ben’s Chili Bowl’s half smoke with hot pepper, sauerkraut in potato roll
snack today was D’artagnan’s duck saucisson with reserve cabot cheese
Tonight, I have just finished making the butternut, beet, apple salad ( picture) , then will add baby arugula , home made vinaigrette. Top with feta cheese for me and guest but son will have his with parmesan.picture did not show baby arugula, or feta. It was good.
Dinner is halibut baked in foil ( S/P, olive oil, butter and pesto) ! I think we could have omitted the butter. The best part is the part that was charred, Picture shows partially eaten ones

but managed to take a pic of one not yet partially devoured as my son ws busy chatting on the phone. the82l%EF%BF%BDWBQM%20ue6m5%20qvLEg|525x700

13 Likes

Unfortunately it has not. :stuck_out_tongue:

My kinda meal.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mine too Christina