What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Ha, Great Minds.Your meal looks so good. I have some Jerk Chicken marinating in my bottom fridge drawer as we speak. This reipce, which I have never used before. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/jamaican-jerk-chicken?
Smells good!

4 Likes

Wild rice salad tonight, with “rice” from Rancho Gordo. Chopped parsley, cilantro, cotija, avocado, scallions, FM tomatoes, and slices of spicy Spanish chorizo. Dressing was a sherry/arbequina olive oil vinaigrette with smoked paprika, s&p, and a little granulated garlic.

And pan con tomate! With FM tomatoes, good FM ciabatta, rubbed with garlic, olive oil, maldon salt. First time this season, must not make it the last. It’s really my favorite Spanish tapa…

13 Likes

a friend can to visit yesterday to return garden tools which she borrowed for her gardening work yesterday ( she is a master gardener but I have all the professional tools used in the beet industry and horticultural school , and so I invited her to have dinner with us ( left over duck confit and we also had my home made spring roll ( forgot to take pictures).
She started to raise chickens a few months ago, slaughtered a rooster this past weekend, which she brought over for me as I told her I bought a rotisserie chicken which I was going to cook to for chicken soup after I gave some leg meat pieces to my poms. I also added to the chicken the duck confit leg bones. The soup was simmering on top of the stove as she arrived as I wanted to fry the spring rolls fresh for her and for my son and guest without having to turn the burners on and off. It was a black silkie rooster. She says that she raised the chicken for fresh eggs and had no need for that rooster. She has to let them out in the morning and by dust, let them go back inside their cage .

So, it simmered one the stove with the rotisserie chicken, the 6 duck leg bones. Just added an onion, some bay leaf, garlic, dried thyme and sage . Will see how it taste . Follow up later.

7 Likes

Another Saturday dinner:

Courgette fritters, aioli

Roast lamb, roast spuds, carrots, peas, gravy, mint sauce

Cheese - Shropshire Red & Blackstick’s Blue

Rice pudding (served cold), macerated strawberries

11 Likes

I was perusing the Whole Foods chicken display and came across
a pre-packaged Spatchcock Chicken! I usually have to ask the butcher do this to a whole bird so I am curious to see how this works out.
Crazy weekend so I did not pick one up but plan to grill one soon.
Anyone try it yet?

2 Likes

follow up on the rotisserie chicken, black chicken and duck confit soup
Was great, simmered it for many hours after it came to a boil adding onions, garlic, bay leaf, herbs ( thyme, sage and Mexican oregano), S/P , shredded and discard the skin and bones, added left over caramelized onion from steak sandwich the other day in the ridge, juice of 3 lemons and some of the ranch gordo’s coco tarbais beans from the duck confit casserole ( used 3 lbs of coco tarbais beans based on recipe but that was too much beans to duck/sausage ratio) so, I dish out around one pound of the cooked beans, added it to the cooked soup,
FANTASTIC , served with Italian’s store’s focaccia cheese herb bread!
Picture wil. not show but I. have a huge pot which will let y son and guest eat every 2 -3 hours as needed so I can work in the garden again

6 Likes

What a great idea! Which Whole Foods?

Andover MA, the product is from Bell & Evans. Thats where I found the
picture. Most butchers will do the spatchcocking (sp?) for you if you ask.

1 Like

Spatchcocking is extremely easy if you have poultry shears. It’s also doable without. You just cut down along both sides of the backbone, and remove it.

3 Likes

Agreed, plus you have the backbone to use for stock if you save bones. I do

My kids have called one of my freezers “the grave yard”

6 Likes

Spent this rainy Saturday doing kitchen projects! Got a few racks of ribs on the smoker, then busted out the meat grinder to grind six pounds of hamburger (to use up some shoulder tenders that I bought on a whim - didn’t love them and won’t make that mistake again) and four pounds of fatty pork for breakfast sausage. Made slaw to go with the ribs and might grill some peaches to enjoy for dessert.

3 Likes

Eyedrops mission continues, as cat finally gets better with his eye scratch, opened his eye more often now.

Friday, my neighbours came back briefly from their vacation and gave me a fantastic Kouign-amann from Maison Moreau in Dinard, Brittany. It was the best I have tried, this breton cake with layers of sugar and butter folded in, compared to those bought in Paris it was never as good. Usually I never really like very sweet dessert, but Kouign-amann was an exception. So FAT and so SWEET!

My neighbours bought me this from their parents’ garden.

She insisted it was a courgette / zucchini, I told her it was a courge / squash and she didn’t believe me. Tonight I used it for my ratatouille, when cutting it opened, it has a slight orange inner part, couldn’t be a courgette, we ate with some beef and mutton merguez.

13 Likes

Agreed but it is easier to have the butcher do it, I do not have to clean the entire kitchen counter because of my less than stellar knife or snip skills and I always
get the bones.
it is also a good option with small turkeys.

We made BLATS for lunch. Then our friends with whom we’re having dinner out tonight came over for drinks. I put out a cheese board, fermented pickled carrots, pistachios (AKA “the Christina special”), and tater tots with ketchup, smoked paprika mayo, and blue cheese dressing. My friend was enamored of the tots idea and said he plans to copy it when hosting coworkers. Hehe!

8 Likes

Grilled sirloin, marinated in olive oil, red wine, red wine vinegar, minced thyme and rosemary, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard and honey.

Baked tater with the proverbial shit-ton of sour cream, and a cuke-tomato salad (my own tomatoes) with buttermilk-herb dressing.

Wine. And lots of rain all day.

2018-08-11-GrilledSirloinSteakBakedTater%26CukeTomatoSaladButtermilkHerbDressing1

10 Likes

Glad the kitty is getting better! And such great neighbors to have

1 Like

Random snacky stuff last night, sliced smoked tofu, olives, cucumbers and some bell pepper, pretzel fishes…

Tonight was a salad of All The Things- a wedge of iceburg, corn cut off the cob, the last bit of my cilantro, olives, some vidalia onion, and the rest of the bell pepper all with peppery mix and a dijon heavy vinegrette. Kombucha a la carte.

8 Likes

So glad the kitty is improving!

2 Likes

Visit with Mom.
A few errands, including my Happy Place, Wegmans, which was crazy-busy.

Dinner was pan-seared scallops with saffron cream sauce, Israeli couscous and steamed asparagus. Didn’t do a great job on the scallops, but they still tasted good!

Wine. And there’s work tomorrow. How did that happen so fast?

An extra pic of the RAWR!!! pic of Alfie, the Fierce Kitteh who while he looks fierce, was only stretching and yawning while in super-relax mode on the back of the couch. LOL

16 Likes

Had a nice meal with the family in a restaurant known for lobster pizza. Earlier in the day made homemade hummus for the first time. Now Im kicking with my gal back waiting for a movie to come on.

Enjoy your evening!

6 Likes