What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Sometimes I don’t mind eating the same thing over and over. I usually change the starch. Chicken with peppers , garlic , red wine , and vinegar . Wine to drink. Cheers .:wine_glass:

5 Likes

Didn’t see it prior to posting but it seems August WFD was already started.

Mods please merge

2 Likes

Me too! (not confused with “#metoo”)

3 Likes

Last night’s dinner was D’artagnan’s duck confit casserole using their recipe with slight change
Ingredients were 3lbs rancho gordo’s coco tarbais beans soaked overnight, simmered for 1 h our on stove top after it came to a boil
6 duck confit legs, 2 lbs of browned andouille sausage ( did not have armanac nor garlic duck so substituted, added cognac to the dish at the last 15 min of baking for 3 hours, at 300 then up the heat to 425 for another 45 min till there was a crust but the crust took so long that I decided to follow other cook’s recipe of adding panko to make a crust

Dish was good but since this is the first time I used tarbais beans ( used to use cannelloni beans), I think next time, I would only. use 2 lbs instead of three as the beans were bigger, and did not break up . I scooped up some beans after dinner and will add it to a rotisserie chicken which I will make chicken soup with. We had the excellent D’artagnan’s wild boar and duck saucisson with cheese for lunch as was expecting a hefty heavy dinner.
Too tired , p[icture nto good but food great.

11 Likes

Your home-smoked thighs are always look so yummy. I love smoked foods.

2 Likes

cannot find the thread, so if I take more time to look, may forget to post
Have guest from Amsterdam for a month so am cooking a lot these days.
last night we had shrimp, squid , sausage cooked in Portuguese cataplana with potato focaccia.
today’s lunch is Ben’s Chili Bowl’s half smoke with hot pepper, sauerkraut in potato roll
snack today was D’artagnan’s duck saucisson with reserve cabot cheese
Tonight, I have just finished making the butternut, beet, apple salad ( picture) , then will add baby arugula , home made vinaigrette. Top with feta cheese for me and guest but son will have his with parmesan.picture did not show baby arugula, or feta. It was good.
Dinner is halibut baked in foil ( S/P, olive oil, butter and pesto) ! I think we could have omitted the butter. The best part is the part that was charred, Picture shows partially eaten ones

but managed to take a pic of one not yet partially devoured as my son ws busy chatting on the phone. the82l%EF%BF%BDWBQM%20ue6m5%20qvLEg|525x700

13 Likes

Unfortunately it has not. :stuck_out_tongue:

My kinda meal.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mine too Christina

Not-so-much jerk chicken thighs (Penzeys Jerk seasoning, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and water - needs more jerk seasoning to have any oomph), basmati rice, and sauteed zucchini and summer squash (from my CEO’s garden) and chopped tomatoes (from my garden pots on my deck) seasoned with a garlic-oregano mixture. And wine.

10 Likes

Grilled barbecue tofu and yellow squash from the neighbor’s garden, green salad with homemade blue cheese and garden tomatoes. Summer!

8 Likes

Breakfasty dinner, there’s some greek yogurt hiding under the pile of strawberries. Had a few handfuls of puffins cereal too for a crunchy thing.

4 Likes

Ha, Great Minds.Your meal looks so good. I have some Jerk Chicken marinating in my bottom fridge drawer as we speak. This reipce, which I have never used before. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/jamaican-jerk-chicken?
Smells good!

4 Likes

Wild rice salad tonight, with “rice” from Rancho Gordo. Chopped parsley, cilantro, cotija, avocado, scallions, FM tomatoes, and slices of spicy Spanish chorizo. Dressing was a sherry/arbequina olive oil vinaigrette with smoked paprika, s&p, and a little granulated garlic.

And pan con tomate! With FM tomatoes, good FM ciabatta, rubbed with garlic, olive oil, maldon salt. First time this season, must not make it the last. It’s really my favorite Spanish tapa…

13 Likes

a friend can to visit yesterday to return garden tools which she borrowed for her gardening work yesterday ( she is a master gardener but I have all the professional tools used in the beet industry and horticultural school , and so I invited her to have dinner with us ( left over duck confit and we also had my home made spring roll ( forgot to take pictures).
She started to raise chickens a few months ago, slaughtered a rooster this past weekend, which she brought over for me as I told her I bought a rotisserie chicken which I was going to cook to for chicken soup after I gave some leg meat pieces to my poms. I also added to the chicken the duck confit leg bones. The soup was simmering on top of the stove as she arrived as I wanted to fry the spring rolls fresh for her and for my son and guest without having to turn the burners on and off. It was a black silkie rooster. She says that she raised the chicken for fresh eggs and had no need for that rooster. She has to let them out in the morning and by dust, let them go back inside their cage .

So, it simmered one the stove with the rotisserie chicken, the 6 duck leg bones. Just added an onion, some bay leaf, garlic, dried thyme and sage . Will see how it taste . Follow up later.

7 Likes

Another Saturday dinner:

Courgette fritters, aioli

Roast lamb, roast spuds, carrots, peas, gravy, mint sauce

Cheese - Shropshire Red & Blackstick’s Blue

Rice pudding (served cold), macerated strawberries

11 Likes

I was perusing the Whole Foods chicken display and came across
a pre-packaged Spatchcock Chicken! I usually have to ask the butcher do this to a whole bird so I am curious to see how this works out.
Crazy weekend so I did not pick one up but plan to grill one soon.
Anyone try it yet?

2 Likes

follow up on the rotisserie chicken, black chicken and duck confit soup
Was great, simmered it for many hours after it came to a boil adding onions, garlic, bay leaf, herbs ( thyme, sage and Mexican oregano), S/P , shredded and discard the skin and bones, added left over caramelized onion from steak sandwich the other day in the ridge, juice of 3 lemons and some of the ranch gordo’s coco tarbais beans from the duck confit casserole ( used 3 lbs of coco tarbais beans based on recipe but that was too much beans to duck/sausage ratio) so, I dish out around one pound of the cooked beans, added it to the cooked soup,
FANTASTIC , served with Italian’s store’s focaccia cheese herb bread!
Picture wil. not show but I. have a huge pot which will let y son and guest eat every 2 -3 hours as needed so I can work in the garden again

6 Likes

What a great idea! Which Whole Foods?

Andover MA, the product is from Bell & Evans. Thats where I found the
picture. Most butchers will do the spatchcocking (sp?) for you if you ask.

1 Like