What's for Dinner #35 - The Summertime In The City July 2018 Edition

Yes, the first thing that hit us was how expensive everything is here. Just one subway trip is more than our average daily expenditure in Beijing.

Actually the first impression we had was on ANA Airlines on the way here. It was the best airline food I ever had. Super simple, but I thought that was better than trying to inject flavor and failing. Fish was cooked perfectly, rice was good, veggies steamed well.

We settled in late. Hardly anything was open in this part of Osaka. So we had to walk around quite a bit to get dinner. Now, I have impossible expectations for Japan. I’ve dreamed of visiting since I was a child. The homes and alleyways looked just as I imagined. But getting Halal-friendly food was hard, even though I had phrases translated by real people beforehand. We finally found someone happy to go back and forth with us to figure it out. Dinner ended up being vegetarian cold noodles and rice with kimchi.

12 Likes

I would have moved in.

1 Like

Well i must have had their olives at some point…! I’m such a sucker for a good olive bar. I would always scoop extra of the olive-y oil from the bins and then use it for my salad dressing

1 Like

Made a batch of cucumber corn red onion salad which I definitely ate straight from the mixing bowl with some peppery salt mix. Wished i had some cilantro.
Also made a batch of Lazy Tofu, aka drain, slice and add some soyaki. And the last bit of red onion because i am very into onions lately. Straight from the tupperware.
Very fancy over here tonight!
Kombucha a la carte

10 Likes

weekend in Stinson Beach was a fab time. Weather was gorgeous (compared to SF which was high-50s and foggy all weekend), food was great, company even better. I made the Peruvian chicken and aji verde for the gang, and the causa Limeña, with shrimp because fresh crab meat was nowhere to be found. the causas turned out so good, i was so pleased. i had purchased the rings just last week and they worked perfectly. We also had grilled corn on the cob slathered with a spicy mayo and cotija, salad of tomatoes, avocado and palmito (hearts of palm), and freshly made ceviche. Aji verde went on everything! Someone made alfajores, and I made pisco sours… many other libations were on deck, including the best Sancerre I’ve ever had, and I found out where to get it! oh happy day…

Stinson%20Pisco%20Sours

stinson%20Sancerre%20from%20Oddlots

Stinson%20rose%20vodka%20cocktail

Stinson%20Hangar%201%20vodkas

Hangover breakfast on Sunday was a collaboration with all the leftovers from the night before and the host making a fantastic red enchilada sauce with a hoppy beer that blew me away, for chilaquiles. Aji verde too, of course.

Stinson%20chilaquiles%20buffet

And then when i got home, the BF took some of the leftover chicken, potato from the causa (there was a ton), the enchilada sauce, and aji verde, and made us dinner, with some fried cotija.

Leftover%20fiesta%20Peru

Tonight was more of TJs shaved beef, this time in taco form, with a little Pato sauce, scallions, cilantro, purple cabbage, jalapenos, radishes, avocado, cotija, crema and hot sauce (the latter two after i took the pic.) Fresh corn on the cob with butter and Tajin.

18 Likes

I want that!

2 Likes

Communication can be tough there. I guess you might have to stick with vegetarian food on the safe side if you are tired of asking.

What a feast Maria. Everything looks fantastic

6 Likes

I made it again tonight as I made a double batch of dressing!

Anyone want to start the August edition of WFD? I am at a lack for creative introductions…

2 Likes

August WFD is here:

4 Likes

oh your favorite six year old sounds delightful. I had four families of “child friends” before I adopted a seven year old from foster care when he was 7 and I was 52…and that was in 2006. I still “kept” the four families, of course, and the youngest will be 21 in a few weeks. Eating and cooking with them some of the best memories.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

So many of “my kids” are in foster care , but not like what you are doing. Well done! Outside of work I DO take care of a fig tree!.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Just FYI, there’s a new thread for August.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. Right, I had 2 mojitos this afternoon, didn’t checked the title.

I moved all posts to the new thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@ccj Post is moved.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

@ccj - it was posted upthread - here you go: