What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

Came to Long Island for a night. Our hosts graciously ordered some Cantonese/Fujianese for us from Flushing.

Crab sticky rice. Gai lan. Yi mein noodles. Fujianese rice noodles with conch.

6 Likes

Dusted off the smoker tonight and smoked up some dry rubbed beef short ribs. I bought them at Restaurant Depot and they came in racks of four long ribs, so I cut them into individual ribs to get more surface area for rub. 7+ hours at 225 over hickory, cherry and pecan and they came out quite well, although I probably could have let them go another hour to get them a little more tender. Served with a cilantro sesame salad from Saveur and roasted cherry tomatoes with ricotta and freshly-made pesto (my own basil plants are just babies but I bought a pound of it at RD, so cheap that it doesn’t even make sense to grow my own!). I smoked a dozen of those monster ribs so we’ll have leftovers for days.

4 Likes

Looks good! Big fan of boudin. Can also steam or poach gently and then squeeze out of the casing to eat like a spread or pâtÊ. Or squeeze directly into mouth. You can also make them into balls and then bread and fry them.

Interesting clip on Cajun boudin:

3 Likes

Know that Costco well…spent last year living in Gaithersburg…I park only on the lower level though…there meat section employees are always helpful…

The closest Jetro/Restaurant Depot is in Baltimore or Alexandria VA

Before retiring 2011, i used to frequent Gaithersburg store s my work was in Rockville.
Since retiring, it seems Pentagon is closer, more choice and closer.
They also have wine though I prefer to go to TJ for wine

1 Like

Jetro may be be Alexandria but just do not have the time to shop at Costco, Asian store and then to restaurant depot/
Long time ago, prior to Price Club, Costco, there was Makro.
I love Makro. My favorite. All kinds of gourmet stuff.
I was introduced to a restaurant depot in DC but found the extra effort and time not worth it.
Where in Gaithersburg wer u from?
I work at West Gude
Miss all the Asian stores, Whole Foods etc

Not quite off topic , but just north of 370 on Goucher Terrace (off of 355)…but loved the Asian markets near West Gude drive or a little south thereoff … especially the fresh fish markets at ???GW???
Lived there part of 2016 and most of 2017 caring for my baby sister till last October…

Have been eating what I have laying around. There’s a Korean recipe for pork belly with kimchi (in my Judy Joo’s Korean cookery book) but I only had firm tofu and red cabbage kimchi. Want to make it properly next time.

Tofu is crispy fried.

Gratuitous photos of the back garden. Great tits’ nest box is very well hidden. Btw, the fledglings have left yesterday whilst I was shopping at the market.

On right is great tits’ nest box, left is blackbirds’ nest (built only last week). The nests are only 2 metres apart and is too close to my kitchen.

5 Likes

That is where I used to go shopping.
I worked at W Dude from 1992-2011.
The first and only Asian market in 1992 was called Maxin, then another Taiwanese market called Kim Sam came about. Great Wall opened sometime later, slashed their price forcing Maxim to close. They reopened later under new management . The other store, Kim Sam ( Gold Mountain), my favorite had to close. Then. GW jacked up their price! BAD TACTIC!
Kims Sam had the best pan fried steamed bun called -shengjian-bao. The dough is light , the bottom is pan fried to slight crisp with a savory pork filling that oozes with juice . They are small and sells 4 for $4.00 or 8 for $6.00 or $7.00. I have not seen that kind of Bao in the DC metro area.
Here is a picture , perhaps NY or SF or bigger chinatown may have it.

1 Like

i would totally do it as a spread next time! it all looks amazing.

i’m a total wuss, i had to skip past the butchering! but thanks for sharing this video! loved it!

1 Like

The expected rain today ended up raining like hell overnight, and today was just dreary, cool, and gray. So it was a good inside day - had plans to go visit Mom, but my gut told me otherwise this morning. Read and watched a few eps of “Brittania” on Amazon Prime.

The tummy was a bit more settled this afternoon, so I went with what I had planned for dinner.

Roasted BISO chicken breast marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, a squidge of Dijon mustard, minced garlic, minced fresh rosemary and oregano, and salt/pepper, then roasted in a hot oven.

Sides were (Potato Day #3) roasted sumac Yukon Gold potatoes in the convection oven, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds, and a glass of white wine.

6 Likes

The chaat looks so good!

1 Like

Bread looks awesome!

Nuoc cham flatiron steak. Apparently there was a recent NYT recipe for this, but i forgot to look at it, because basically, it’s just nuoc cham ( i added some crushed lemongrass too because i had it). steak marinated for 3 hours, reduced the marinade for a drizzle, and then made another batch for the salad of tomatoes, radishes, cukes, scallions, and serranos.

8 Likes

Bizarre hot (high 80s!) humid yesterday and then chilly overcast and drizzling today. Nearly melted biking on my long ride yesterday but i felt very clever because i stopped halfway and got a big cup of ice from a bodega so i got to suck on ice cubes the second half of my ride.
Last night was just a big salad of stuff with some shredded carrots, bell pepper, white beans, radishes, cucumber, dijon vinegrette and obviously a heavy hand with the hemp seeds. (I love the earthy unique flavor, i mixed them in right after the photo). Not pictured I basically had a box of strawberries- whole foods has organic strawberries on sale 2/$5! They’re certainly not the same as fresh strawberries in CA but were very good. Kombucha a la carte

With the chilly evening here (and a big bagel for a late lunch) i just went with miso soup of stuff tonight with lots of soft tofu, nappa cabbage, scallions, seaweed, and a side pile of radishes. I’ll have more strawberries for dessert

7 Likes

Thanks! It usually looks even better, but I ran out of bread flour and had to use mostly all-purpose. Sometimes I get bored while I’m making it. But, on the flip side, there’s a certain joy in making something again and again; I can easily multitask and feel productive.

It was very hot today, still is and it’s almost bed time. Perfect for something cold. I made “half-cooked” SV salmon. Super easy, just needs lots of time to chill (and also before that, time to brine and to remove the brine). The first two steps involving the brine are crucial to prevent production of albumin (oozing protein, AKA white gunk). Based on the recipe here.

Forgot this pic yesterday. I mentioned how close the blackbirds’ nest is to my kitchen, only a couple of metres from the kitchen door. Old Girl gives me her death stare every I leave or enter the house (which is via the kitchen door) and every movement I make. I don’t dare to look at her sitting in the nest!

She was building the nest last week. Old Boy’s work was done (after mating), he didn’t take part in nest constructing activities at all.

8 Likes

A quiet day today. Still not up for a visit with Mom, so that’ll be next weekend.

I read and watched a couple of movies on Amazon Prime: “The Hero” with Sam Elliott, and “The Lady in the Van” with Dame Maggie Smith. Both were excellent.

Dinner was baked BBQ country-style ribs; Potato Salad (Long Weekend Potato Day #4) with minced celery, a chopped hard-boiled egg, and bacon; Broccoli-Cashew Salad with minced shallots, crispy pancetta, and raisins; and a deviled egg. Wine.

2018-05-28-BakedCountryStyleBBQPorkRibsPotatoSaladBroccoliCashewSaladDeviledEggs4

Dessert was Lemon Posset with fresh raspberries. All t’was good.

11 Likes

Simple dinner of sea scallops, corn relish and arugula salad. Haven’t mastered the use of my Darto carbon steel pans. Had to pull the scallops before a good crust so not to over cook them

10 Likes