What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

if they are dry scallops , not treated with phosphate, they are best for searing
they should be marked but if you are buying them from a market, there may be no mark
dry scallops are usually a little off white in color
i have never been able to buy fresh dry scallops except at the wholesale seafood strip mall in Jessup Maryland’ They cost $14.99 per pound and are the best. However, it is a one hour drive without traffic, and the strip is only open from 2:00AM. to 9:00 AM. m. This is where the famous seafood restaurant O 'Donell’s truck is usually parked.
However, they do not welcome any retailer unless you buy a whole lot.
I have been going there for the last 7 years, know the manager of one of the stores who usually wait for me till 10:00AM, in case the traffic is heavy. Usually, I have to sent my order in 24 hours ahead of time but if I want the smoked mussels from Ducktrap, that has to be ordered 48 hours in advance.
I go there 2 or 3 times a year, usually load up on scallops, fresh sashimi quality tuna loin ( best i ever have except from the open market in Amsterdam ), fresh rainbow trout, and wild shrimp. I also like their smoked mussels and smoked fish from duck trap.
However, the frozen ( flash frozen dry scallops) are second best
We love them seared with grapeseed oil and butter, served with spinach seared in the same oil after the scallops are done with freshly grated parmesan.

1 Like

Glad to hear that place is still up and running. Went there once at the break of dawn many years ago. Purchased a whole swordfish. It took up most of the freezer. Couple days later, everyone was already sick of swordfish, but we hadn’t even finished half of it yet. I don’t think my parents or siblings have ever eaten swordfish again.

You must have a very large freezer!

1 Like

Yes, I do but also has 2 other refrigerators, one is a Pro Refrigerator
I also get some while I am there for my sister in Va.
Usually, I go there before a party.

do you still live nearby me?
I live in Calvert County, Southern Maryland

I am about 20 minutes from the seafood market, right outside Baltimore, in Catonsville.

A post was split to a new topic: Message not delivered

Oven roasted chicken thigh with slaw and a bulger/toasted vermicelli side

7 Likes

Pad Thai, street cart style . Perfect weather to cook outside today.

10 Likes

I know I’m cooking outside tonight . Chicken thighs on the grill. Sauteed zucchini , simple canned beans simply cooked. Caught up on the acre of yard work today . I’m beat and dirty. Feels good. Time for wine and putting together dinner. CHEERS. :wine_glass::wine_glass:

7 Likes

My cooking mojo is on vacation lately.
I found a container of Kite Hill chive cream cheese on crazy clearance yesterday ($1.99 instead of $6.50!) so last night i defrosted and toasted half an everything bagel and slathered it in an obscene amount of that cream cheese, topped with some thin onion. Side of sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes and some cornichons.
I stopped at by Chloe this afternoon on my bike ride (crazy gorgeous day today!) and had “linner” of the vegan kale ceasar.
Just had a bunch of cantaloupe since I finally found a good one, some kombucha a la carte

5 Likes

I feel you. , I am batting 125 in the cooking mojo percentage

1 Like

@Ttrockwood

Mine is just beginning to coming back. It is really nice to finally feel more motivated about planning and cooking meals. I think it was the fallout of being extremely stressed for an extended period. The major stress was removed in January and it took 4.5 months to begin to see a little cooking enthusiasm.

Hope you both have a quicker recovery time! :hugs:

3 Likes

i’ve had a LOT of meals out lately - especially due to the fact that I was in NOLA for 4 days, but then came home with a bad cold and was sick in bed for 4 days. Food in New Orleans was spectacular, to say the least. Loved it so much we’re going back in November. I bought some tasso ham from Cochon Butcher, which I hope to be making something with this weekend.

I also brought back Cochon’s smoky Buckboard bacon, and tried to replicate their famous bacon melt tonight, with sauteed kale (instead of collards) and Muenster (what i had), and a little sliced pepperoncini thrown in. Also quick-pickled some cucumbers in sugar and white vinegar. Not as good as Cochon, but still mighty fine overall.

other meals…

I made carnitas, guisado de pollo, mexi-rice and refried beans for a party we had at friends’ in Stinson Beach - and also a tuna ceviche - yep, that’s CANNED TUNA, and everyone adores it!

the Prep…

finished.

guisado

homemade tortillas

guac with lots of jalapeno, onion and cilantro

Tuna Ceviche

while i was sick i ate a lot of plain pastina (with butter), but as i got a little better, i made some with defrosted pork sugo…

thai-ish chicken - hadn’t had anything Asian in a while.

and i think that’s it!

13 Likes

I love when @mariacarmen returns from a trip - we get FOOD PICS GALORE! :smiley: Of course, reading them at 11:30 a.m. makes me stahvin’ heah!

8 Likes

Always good to see you and your mouth-watering food, Maria. Now eat lots 'cause you need to recover :grin:

Just a simple but very enjoyable meal we had today. Loosely based a Japanese dish called “unagi donburi” (rice and eel) but here I used smoked herring so it’s much much cheaper obviously. Though, (smoked) eel is very nice and I do eat it once in a while. You really don’t want to eat eel that often as it is very rich and costs a pretty penny. But anyway, here you go.

I fried the Tyrolean Speck and minced onions, garlic first. Then tossed the wheat around a bit and added boiling veg stock. Let it cook without stirring until a crust was formed. In the meantime made the glaze (Riesling, liquid smoke, tamari, ketcap mannis). When done arranged glazed fish on the whole thing, then the confit yolks and some chopped parsley. There you have it, Austria meets Netherlands, via Japan.

Cheap and good.

PS: I still have a few more smoked herrings left. Gonna find new ideas for them. Tomorrow is Ascension and the whole country has a day off. Smoked herring on bread is getting a bit booooooooring these day.

8 Likes

Used some leftover roasted chicken thighs and paired with leftover bulgur, sautéed with diced onion and mushrooms

simple veg sides of tomatoes and cucumbers with light basil dressing

7 Likes

Guisado de pollo i made over the weekend paired with spaghetti tonight, topped with queso fresco, and a side salad of carrots, celery, romaine, scallions, cilantro, with a simple dressing of oregano & cumin, arbequina olive oil and red wine vinegar. hit the spot.

7 Likes

Last skrei from the freezer. Made a sauce with grainy mustard, lime juice, garlic, lots of seasoning from a grinder, fennel seeds, butter etc. Poured over the fish and it went in the oven.

It was a free day (Ascension) but the weather was unpleasant, unfortunately. Not good for photos but good for the plants in the garden.

4 Likes

just got this message today
when I sent you the reply, it was returned
Lately, few of my mails had been returned/
wander if it is comcast?
Anyway, I had to go to gaithersburg Monday, Emergency, sever itching left ear,
Turned out a bug got inside my ear
still recovering
very very busy, weeds everywhere, cooking but no time to take pictures of food cooked
Perhaps if you are in my area ( Patuxent River, Calvert County, 30 mile before Solomons, give me a holler

Went to Yreka today. Went to Shasta City Meat Market in Montague outside of Yreka. Picked up a whole rabbit, beef back ribs, Italian sausage. It was $23. WTF. I turned around and got more items. I’m putting the Italian sausage on the Traeger to smoke. Steamed napa cabbage, with white potato. Wine to drink. Cheers :wine_glass::wine_glass:

5 Likes