What's for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

had fried rice last night
just chinese sausage, frozen vegetables ( corn, carrots, was) garlic powder, S/P , scrambled egg

1 Like

So the other day we were talking about next Thanksgiving almost 7 months away, and what would be the family plans…well two day later I had a yen for turkey!!! Since we forgo the other parts (Breast, thighs) to our guests, we have the wings and the legs!!! As much , I went to the local market and purchased a package of turkey wings and two legs… .with about 2 1/2 pounds of legs and a 1 1/2 pounds of wings…we marinated and roasted in the usual manner…We were in heaven munching on the parts…
A minor note, we had mashed potatoes and some broccoli left over, along with one of the “piernas grande”…(big legs)…not to fret…carved off the leg meat and made some Sheppard Pie with
Turkey, broccoli, mashed, a can of turkey gravy, some turkey drippings and a smattering of cheddar baked off at 350 degrees for 30 minutes…

Missing might you ask?.. the cranberry…which was OceanSpray…jellied…sliced rounds…Hey it counts…even though it is April, but too embarrassed to show the picture…
Nice comfort mealUploading...

11 Likes

I like them but they seem to turn brown quickly in a grab-n-go salad. I’m convinced they use extra to increase the weight cheaply.

Now that you have everything moved you can start exploring new markets and hopefully the mojo will find it’s way home!

2 Likes

I’m in a townhouse with a relatively small plot that was brambles and rock when I moved in. AT&T laid new cable last summer and in the process removed massive amounts of bramble. So I’m trying to terrace, fill with soil, cover with weed cloth and mulch the areas I can now access before the wild takes over.

I seem to be the only resident who has attempted growing vegetables. Unfortunately word got out to the squirrel population and they went wild. After 5 years of effort I’ve given up. I can safely grow herbs, tubers and greens.

Only edibles planted so far this year are julep mint, parsley and nasturtiums. Hoping to prep space for passion fruit once I’ve re-stained the deck. Even if the varmints eat the fruit the vegetation makes a nice dye. Divided about 100 Asiatic lilies, dozens of day lilies. Most new planting are things for dye and eco-printing.

The cat next door seems to have encouraged the squirrels to nest further afield. So I’ll probably succumb to a few tomatoes, peppers and perhaps okra. My flavored sugars are about used up so will look for scented geraniums at the herb festival.

8 Likes

Got to hang out with my favorite four year old last night! There was a last minute baby sitter crisis and i got to make lego houses and discuss the fine points of the lemmings behavior in “norm of the north”- which is way more amusing that I anticipated.
He helped cutting up our avocado for dinner, i went with a matching bowl to his. And yes, favorite monkey is always within arms reach

He had buttered pasta with chickpeas - not touching!- and i had a tossed bucket salad from the bodega after my avocado appetizer. Certainly not the best spot for a tossed salad but cheap for nyc and was on my way over

A few annie’s graham cracker bunnies for dessert for both of us.

11 Likes

Let’s continue our passions in non food gardening :evergreen_tree::hibiscus::blossom::sunflower: HERE:
Our beautiful gardens [non-food]

Got here today. Waiting for the bus to the centre.

Got off at central railway station to catch another bus to the village where I’m staying (about 12km from Innsbruck). This is a Speck shop at the station.

Approaching my lodging now.

This is the view from my balcony without the power lines.

Got 2 6-packs of beer straight away as supermarkets are closed at noon on saturday and closed all day on sunday.

Enjoying the sunset. It’s so nice and warm (16C) and being a lot higher than at home (1000m) I got a tan real fast in so short a time.

Walked 1km downhill to a tiny supermarket to pick up a few items. The supermarket is literally in a former house so it’s extremely small and the selection is more like a convenience or corner shop. One thing you can always rely on here in Tirol is Speck, something the entire region is tremendously proud of and eat a lot of.

This is all for my first night. The wine is very decent. There’s daikon in the mix. I like that. We don’t have daikon in any frozen vegs at home.

9 Likes

Ok, back to food. I have to say, I prefer gardening these days than cooking. I think it’s the spring effect on me.

@Ttrockwood 's mom potato leek soup, with merguez

James Peterson’s borscht recipe - 17 years ago, made exactly this same recipe, failed miserably, was extremely acid, led to psychological blockage. This time I made it with white balsamic vinegar, a success.
Looking back, I have to admit proudly, that my cooking improved. :smiley:

IMG_3975

Scallops and mango, I made this often.

Chicken liver with balsamic vinegar, potatoes and celeriac

Mackerel with mustard onion cream

Mixed mushroom pasta

Extremely late for this Malaysian dish - beef rendang (no so) spicy beef stew with coconut milk

10 Likes

Gotta love those work weeks where you’re not home before 7:30 most nights. Wait. No, actually, you really don’t.

The usual first-week-of-the-month craziness. Plus lots of ad-hoc gotta-have-it-answered-Emailed-written-up-proofread-figured-out-because-no-one-else-is-willing-to-do-so-because-it’s-easier-to-just-ask-me “stuff”.

So it’s a “Mom Meal” - for me. Some Lemon Pot Roast from the freezer, and some new potatoes and carrots, boiled and buttered.

Oh, there’s wine. There’s most DEFINITELY wine.

5 Likes

STUNNING view, @Presunto! Enjoy your visit, food, and drink.

1 Like

hurting bad from pulling weeds for 4 h ours, sitting on pebbles and belgian blocks, Wander how those manor houses in UK did it with pebbles and there does not seem to be weeds?
Hate to spray because of babies but also bec it is still too cold and very windy. I normally pull taller weeds then spray once after temp goes up, then use preemergent.
Dinner then is Ma Po To Fu cooked with caramelized onions, garlic precooked in EVOO, black beans and chili sauce, Ma Po sauce, some peppers, and Sechuan peppercorn towns the end.
This is enough for me for days if not more since so is away, that is why i used Sechuan peppercorn.

2 Likes

Thought those mountains looked familiar

Food looks good too

1 Like

It’s not about the food tonight. But who I am with. My favorite couple. Pork scallopini. Drinks, wine. A nice salad. Rice for the starch. Cheers​:wine_glass::cocktail::clinking_glasses:

10 Likes

20180406_220605

Frittata friday using up some straggling zuchinni and potatoes and bits of cheese.

13 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoy that potato leek soup :slight_smile: i have many happy memories associated with it. It’s still rather cold here, i need to make roasted celeriac myself! I love it yet hesitate to deal with the prep. Gorgeous meals as always

Frittata or omelette gives me comfort and makes me happy in all types of cuisines. Eggs are amazing.

1 Like

It is a classic French soup, good but yet so simple, need a minimum of ingredients. Better with a good broth. But at times it is just to get rid of “aged” potatoes and leeks.

1 Like

forgot pictures of mapo

7 Likes

Long day included helping Mom with some bills and other stuff, going over to my sister’s to feed their cats, and a traffic-bound drive home.

BISO chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, ground sumac, Aleppo pepper and salt. Roasted in a hot oven.

Sides were leftover rice and some steamed green beans with toasted almonds. And wine.

Gratuitous pics of glamour shots taken this morning before I left the house of Finn and Alfie.

2018-04-07-FinnGlamourPic1

13 Likes

I was having a Rice Vinegar Crisis and finally picked some up yesterday (why do stores only sell the sweetened seasoned stuff?? I just want regular no crapola in it rice vinegar!) so I celebrated by making more cucumber salad! I know, it’s totally a problem…

I also made that amazing radish kimchi salad with the rest of my enormous daikon- i just cooked the daikon about five min so it was firm/tender and used my white kimchi and baby arugala. Added in some cubed smoked tofu.

Plans to go out to dinner tonight fell through, they woke up sick this morning.
I had the rest of the kimchi salad and just boiled a few veggie tofu dumplings i dipped in a mix of one part soy sauce, 3 parts black vinegar with a few shards of ginger (the Google told me this was what the fantastic dumpling diping sauce is at din tai fung and it’s damned close to what i remember)
Glass of reisling a la carte.

8 Likes