What's for Dinner #32 - the Spring Has Finally Sprung! Edition - April '18

Steelhead with a fennel and orange salad

10 Likes

Asparagus and onion frittata . Garnished with a tiny bit of cilantro and slices if avocado. Dollop of sour cream . I was planning on making Rick Bayless recipe for fish tacos. Oh well, tomorrow maybe. Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers

7 Likes

dinner tonight is a quick seafood sausage cataplana
using my wok, I caramelized a medium onion, cooked the rest of the sofrito ( carrots, celery, sweet pepper, tomatoes) added a pinch of smoked spanish paprika,) placed them in the cataplana, layered raw flowered squid, then back to the wok, I browned 2 andouille sausages, shrimp , anchovy, with chipotle adobo sauce, some preroasted garlic in olive oil,

added the mixture to the cataplana, then added water to the roasted shrimp shell ( plus shrimp broth ,from 2 days ago, same technique), added a pinch of saffron, to the broth , cooked in the cataplana medium heat 7 minutes, served with juice of a lemon and cheese jalapeño bread from Wegmans.
There are squid flowers but hidden the shrimp and andouile sausages.
Nice dinner ( perhaps lunch also as there ar left overs)

12 Likes

All the chicken in the chicken tikka masala was gone, but lots of sauce still leftover. I pan fried some tofu on two sides to give the tofu some texture and threw it in there. Tofu Tikka Masala.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the weather in London has quite decided it’s spring yet. Dinner two nights ago was a bit of a hybrid. Poached salmon is quite summery, while roasted beetroot and butternut squash seems quite wintery. Some steamed kale as well and creme fraiche with a little horseradish added.

When I roasted the butternut squash I cut it in half length ways before dicing. I used the remaining half last night. I scooped out the seeds and then roasted in the skin after seasoning with salt and pepper and also a little olive oil. Before that I had freid off some beef mince with onions and celery. Then I added some dried porcini that had been soaked and rosemary. After a while I added tomato puree and the mushroom soaking water. Once the butternut squash had roasted I scooped out the skin (leaving a little border of flesh) and mashed the butternut squash. I put the mince mix into the butternut squash skin, topped with the mashed butternut squash and then put grated cheese on top and back in the oven for 10 mins. Sort of a cottage pie but served in the butternut squash. Peas as a side dish.

7 Likes

We had a week of high temperatures and a week of the opposite. Long weekend was wet, dark and windy. More like early autumn. I think dinner matches the weather.

6 Likes

Pot roast is a decidedly winterish meal, but today was chilly and rainy enough to warrant a winterish comfort food meal, so I went with a red wine, garlic & tamarind pot roast, with buttered potatoes and carrots.

Seasoned a boneless chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper and it was browned in hot oil, adding in a handful of peeled whole garlic cloves, then some beef stock. Then a combination of red wine, honey, grated fresh ginger, and tamarind concentrate was poured over all, and it simmered away on the flame tamer for about 2-1/2 hours, turning the chuck roast several times during cooking. Added a flour slurry to the reduced sauce for a gravy.

Steamed tri-colored potatoes with carrots, then seasoned with s/p and a shit-ton of butter. Definitely wine.

7 Likes

no lunch today, busy busy busy
pulled 30 gallons of weed
came i for a short coffee break , with biscotti a nd that was lunch!
For dinner, too tired to cook so just cooked some bok choy with evoo, garlic, soy sauce, red cracked pepper, fresh ground pepper, and a dash of Pinoy Datu Puti coconut vinegar.
Pan seared Costco’s marinated wild M

orey salmon,
For starch, I soften 3 small packages of cellophane noodle with hot water, took out the fish and added some garlic, and EVOO, dd the noodles and the marinade from the fish. Too tired to even add spring onions but just threw in a bunch of fried dehydrated shallot, add fish sauce , sesame oil and topped with spicy chili crisp per suggestion of shrinkrap . a glass of red wine , Inicidentally, the noodle was very good, so I had a second h helping! and now, am hitting the sack after I brush the pom’s teeth. They really smell fishy even before I gave them the crispy salmon skin’. They were out with me and must have found a dead fish or fish head!
THANKS SHRINKRAP, JSUT LEARNED SOMETHING NEW FROM YOU

9 Likes

Dinner was the other half of my bagel sandwich from absolute bagels i got earlier today. Yes it’s worth standing in line outside for 15min (unless it’s raining). Picked up a few for my freezer too.

Everything bagel with olive tofutti, tomato, lettuce, onion and dill pickle slices. Side plate of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper sprinkled with everything seasoning. Kombucha a la carte.

I found a packet of justin’s dark chocolate almond butter cups in my cupboard so i’ll probably have one with my tea while reading in bed later.

6 Likes

I think that I got this rec. from a suggestion here.

3 Likes

That looks like something I’d like a lot - sweet, salty with crunch! Thank you.

2 Likes

Think that was me at some point :slight_smile: i remember loving that combo with the dates, i need to make it again!

1 Like

Need some celery? :wink:

2 Likes

Dinner tonight was chili. Made a big-ass pot using pinto, black and red beans. Chorizo, ground beef and a hatch chili sausage were browned and added to the mix. Onion, 3 colors of bell peppers, Rotel, lots of cumin, a variety of dried ground peppers tagged along. Had a mishap when I went to add a little soy sauce for color and umami and then realized I had added Worcestershire sauce instead. Evened it out with some tomato paste.

Served over rice with " Mexican" grated cheese and some sour cream. Because, if I’m honest, as much as I like chili I like an excuse for sour cream even more!

So all the space I’ve whittled away in the freezer will be used for chili storage. But that was part of my motivation to make some freezer space.:blush:

8 Likes

Zhajiangmian for dinner.

8 Likes

New thread here:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

What a beautiful plate of food! Is steelhead in season where you are now?

Thanks.

They don’t grow here. Picked up at Costco. Farmed

Apples (Pink Lady) and a lovely Gouda.

Life is beautiful! :slight_smile:

3 Likes