What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Because i’m an idiot i went to work today. Bad call. Thought i could dayquil myself into a functioning human and that just wasn’t happening. Came home early and took a two hour nap. Made and then drank a bucket of super green juice with a ton of ginger, lemon, half a jalapeño (!), some garlic, beets, an entire bunch of kale, some cucumber and a green apple with a good pinch of salt.
Food isn’t my favorite idea (red flag for my body) but i needed something and went with a savory oatmeal cooked in miso broth. Topped with some avocado, cilantro, kimchi, scallions, nutritional yeast, lots of black pepper and a good handful of hemp seeds. It was tasty! Like a fancy grain bowl - just not as artfully plated. I eventually finished it and am sipping a cayanne lemon kombucha. I don’t really like spicy stuff but about everyone says it’s good when you’re sick…
dessert will be throat coat tea with a nyquil chaser.

7 Likes

Leftover ground meat that I ground for burgers last night. Became filling for corn tortilla tacos this evening

4 Likes

Catching up on a few meals.

Pan pizza

Salad: baby spinach, balsamic citrus dressing, cukes, tomatoes, onion, goat cheese, toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds
salad

Dutch baby. First time making it. Somewhere in between a pancake, souffle, and choux pastry. Loved it.

Weekend dinner at parents’ house. Clockwise from top: paratha, haleem, homemade naan, kari (punjabi specialty), gandalain (broccoli rabe) with lamb. There was also (unpictured) daal, chicken, roti, and other things I can’t recall. Yes, we are so spoiled we need roti, paratha, and naan. Sorry for the dirty pic, I just remembered at the last minute to take pics.

And homemade yogurt, of course.
yogurt

16 Likes

I am officially jealous! Three breads? ::swoon::

3 Likes

Our dinner was some nachos with leftover carnitas, cheese, and tomatillo sauce. Totally boring but easy. The grand-scallion exhausted us today. I forgot the tomatoes. Life is what it is.

5 Likes

A bowl of curry laksa, made from frozen leftovers from a previous attempt for the COTQ. I strained out much of the solids from the soup after mixing with the paste, which improved it for me.

16 Likes

Up early this morning, cleaning up a bit. Found some zucchini in the fridge, going in for a simple roast with some curry powder S&P and EVOO…
Should compliment the salmon I will make tonight in “packets” with a garlic and dill yogurt sauce.

10 Likes

This looks tempting, which recipe did you use? It seems different from the German Pfannkuchen.

Crispy sesame beef with broccoli, probably best meal of the year so far! It was super simple but something about it was just so good.

10 Likes

TJ’s pork belly and frozen bao, easy quick dinner. Overcooked poached egg on the side with crispy fried shallots. i had the crazy idea to put it on the bao but it was never going to fit. Sliced the pork thinly, warmed it in oyster sauce, mushroom soy, brown sugar, and a little fermented chili bean sauce. under the broiler to crisp up and caramelize. really yummy, if a sloppy dish.

13 Likes

Dumb question… I don’t own a proper steamer and probably won’t any time soon (small kitchen storage issues), how do you steam the bao buns? I bought some once and really ruined them trying to steam in the microwave… :confused:

1 Like

Not dumb at all - i don’t have one either. just one of those cheapo steamer baskets you place in a pot. i did these in a pot last time, but a skillet this time and it worked fine. the steamer basket comes in handy all the time, for steamed cauli, broccoli, etc., when you don’t want to roast. Costs under $10, usually, and it folds up almost flat, re the small kitchen issues. i also use it inside the Instant Pot to make hard boiled eggs.

steamer%20basket

5 Likes

if i have single frozen bao, I cover it with soggy wet paper towel, place it in the microwave for a short period of time. depending n your microwave setting. You can defrost it for a couple minutes if u like then turn it to full for power for a minute.You just have to play with your microwave.
For my microwave, I turn it to full power for 1 minute, it comes out perfectly steamed but it all depends on your microwave. Just be sure that the paper towel is sloppy wet and fully cover the bao.
This is often my breakfast . I suppose your mean sio pay (the timed bun not th cha sio par when the bun is baked)

2 Likes

America’s Test Kitchen recipe. It specifically calls for skim (zero fat) milk. I’m going to say 5 oz and 1 oz by weight for the flour and cornstarch, respectively. I used only 1 tsp lemon zest, everything else the same. I used an 11-inch skillet, but 12" was specified in the recipe. We had some with powdered sugar, some with Nutella, but I personally preferred honey or maple syrup. Also when no one was looking i may have rolled up a slice and filled it with pastry cream.

3 Likes

Not dumb. Do you have a rack or perforated something you can fit in a pot with a lid? Just put your item to be steamed on there and put the lid on. You don’t need a dedicated steamer. If the rack isn’t tall enough, elevate it by placing it on top of an inverted mug.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, will try to make it! :yum:

You can also put some water in a pot, with a rack like this, will do. I don’t own a steamer, but sometimes with a rack similar to the first one, I put a plate and then off I steam (whole fish, dim sum, potatoes)!
TB-8-Inch-Cooking-Rack-Round-304-Stainless-Steel-Baking-and-Cooling-Steaming-Rack-w-Stand-Cookware-Heavyweight-Chrome-for-Cooker-Silver-Tone-Set-of-2-0-0.

I have a steamer that was a gift but I’ve MacGyvered a steamer using a metal strainer/colander over a boiling pot of water (of course, do not submerge the food in the water). No need for special equipment for steaming at all.

2 Likes

Since returning from Bordeaux, I always made pasta, or bread and cheese or meal that I have showed here, nothing particularly interesting. Tonight I just made my first fish (head) soup. I followed a French Bouillabaisse soup recipe but not used the same fish. There were all types of fish heads I have been collecting for several months. I cut the head off before I cooked the fish and I tossed the heads in the freezers. There must be 3 pounds of heads.

Tomatoes, fennel, onions, garlic were roughly chopped. I added bay leaves and orange zest. As spice, there were dried chili flakes, White pepper and saffron. And finally a splash of Pastis. Steamed some potatoes and they were added in the final soup. The Aïoli wasn’t very successful, I added too much mustard (egg yolk, mustard, garlic and olive oil).
The grinding was the most time consuming part…it was almost discouraging.

2 tablespoon of Pastis enhanced the anise, fennel flavour.

I would say it was a success…and costed nothing! :grin:

10 Likes

I’m just back from a Caribbean cruise, so I’ve been enjoying catching up on your dinners! We ate far too well on this cruise, so I have a feeling our dinners will be simple and somewhat ascetic for the next couple of weeks. Tonight is likely going to be a rotisserie chicken and a bagged salad, since I got back too late last night for a grocery run and the fridge is bare. Heading to the store as soon as I get home. Will be living vicariously through you all!

3 Likes