What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

Saturday i picked up bluefish at the market simple broil with a garlic herb compound butter corn on the cob and a cauliflower gratin with bacon and cheese and a no knead boule.

Sunday was leftovers a fritatta (filled with the remaining gratin and zucchini fettuccine) and some bruschetta with topping made from garden stragglers and the remaining boule

5 Likes

There’s to be lamb chops. We also seem to have accumulated a lot of leftover veg in the last couple of days. Herself says that they will be nice all mashed, mixed together and fried as little patties. Hope she’s right - otherwwise, I’m off to the chippy.

3 Likes

Actually our cleaning person comes Thursday and Monday, so I try to either cook the meal on Sunday, or go to a slow cooker dish on Mondays.
I am thinking tonight some slow cooker lamb stew, which might include some sweet potatoes. ( I don’t even brown the meat for this one…it all goes in on high for about 6 to 7 hours…one pot…sometimes even paper plates…

1 Like

no one slips bacon by me.

3 Likes

My standard cheat Phở assemble. Phở broth is not worth it for me to make at home because it’s just not the same. And in my food hell no one can make it properly, either. There’s one Viet restaurant less than an hour from here, another is 2 hrs. I have tried it and concluded putting it together this way is far far better. Besides, I can eat as MANY beef balls as I want!

I like these Bun Bo Hue noodles (I know it’s not Phở noodles, please don’t bite my head off.)

So worthless it is here that Vietnamese ingredients are imported from France, where the biggest Viet community in Europe is. There are other Vietnamese ingredients imported from VN but not beef balls.

PS: I asked my partner to write an email to the airline with a scan of the hotel receipt and they have just agreed to give us back the money for the hotel (eur. 100). If you remember the story I wrote on this thread a couple of weeks back about technical problems with our plane. Airline writes back saying they don’t normally reimburse hotel expenses due to delays or technical problems etc. but they make an exception for us. Not sure if I believe that but at least I get my 100 bucks back.

4 Likes

Please provide comments around WFD thread splitting here:

Yay. Found just the ticket for my squid “dilemma” – in my very own cookbook shelf. Sometimes, it helps to look around you!

Anyway, the recipe is from James Peterson’s “Fish & Shellfish” - a simple sauté of squid & garlic in olive oil, with fresh tomatoes, basil & black olives. Since I have everything in the house except the olives, I will sub some leftover fennel from the crisper. The flavors should work well together.

Our appetizer will be yet another burrata caprese. Ima eat the shit out of that until the FMs tomatoes are gone :smile:

Happy Monday, y’all.

1 Like

Given your explanation I for one do not see the split necessary now. But then, I don’t usually start the threads.

WFD: Pasta alla Norma. I like to roast the eggplant for this sauce, a medium dice works well for me, tossed with olive oil and S & P, 400F/30min. After roasting the cubes go straight into our usual 45 minute Amitriciana sauce with any roasting juices that may be in the pan.

Linguini is the pasta of choice with this sauce, ricotta salata grated over each serving. I’m not certain we have any more ricotta salata in the fridge, if not we’ll use Parmigiano.

3 Likes

I love pasta all Norma.

1 Like

Chickie BOOB? They aren’t mammals, you know, or we’d have chicken cheese and chicken yoghourt.

Gosh, I had no idea.

2 Likes

Cena fue espléndida. Grilled flat iron with chimichurri sauce, fried patatas y Padron peppers and a green ensalada with Jerez sherry vinaigrette. And an Argentine Malbec. Olé

6 Likes

The burrata caprese was great, but what else is new? Can’t really mess up good ingredients :smile:

The squid stew came out really well, too. I roasted the fennel before I added it to the dish, and the squid was cooked perfectly. I also added a Chinese chili condiment, cuz we like it hot @casa lingua.

Overall, greatly satisfying, and a nice change o’pace from calamari :smile:

7 Likes

Another snacky dinner homemade fresh cheese sopressata rye bread and a corn slaw with lemon garlic dill dressing.

4 Likes

Spaghetti with meatballs we made yesterday. Caesar salad and garlic bread on the side. Wine to drink and hockey on the tv.

2 Likes

I liked my soup last night but all of yours are better!

Hope you’re going to experiment more with making cheese.

Like them both. Nice pics, too!

It’s Tuesday, so our bi-weekly Sichuan jour fixe is happening tonight. WFD will be smashed cukes, bok choy, garlic eggplant, diced chicken w/hot peppers, dry-fried green beans, mapo tofu and who knows what else, group size pending.

Stoked.

Pork belly with lots of ginger. Marinated in soy sauce, sherry, five spice powder and chili flakes (brought back from Greece). It was so moist and nice. The tender meat became “threads” when I gently pulled it with a fork! The “Thai Kraut” is meant to cut the fattiness. As it is so rich and no matter how delicious we could eat only half of this portion.

Looks like the fat layer is super thick but it’s just a hanging flap over another layer of meat.

4 Likes

Sockeye salmon and asparagus were on sale today so that is wfd, along with a salad of some sort.

1 Like