What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Started with a vegetable medley of pan roasted onions, peppers, potatoes and zucchini. Served with seared amberjack

13 Likes

Easy old favorite one pot kale and quinoa, haven’t made it in a while but works with about any hearty greens. The market near me the bunches of kale are ginormous so i just use it all (i save the stems to juice), tonight i swapped in sunflower seeds instead of pine nut$, and used kite hill cashew cheese instead of goat cheese. Often i use nutritional yeast instead. And more scallions as a garnish on top.
Snacked on my now very funky homemade kimchi while cooking, plenty of leftovers for lunches this week.

5 Likes

Simply nice

1 Like

Thanks. It was a pretty simple meal

1 Like

Pork cutlet with capers and lemon. Baked potato. Sauteed zucchini with a little side of arugula and tomato. Wine to drink. Cheers:wine_glass:

6 Likes

looks like the squeeze in picture. Somebody needs to fix this. It’s not on my end. Last picture until it’s fixed. What all the sudden everyone’s pictures are not working with different laptops ,cameras, Etc. Really?

I limit my cheese intake to lunch, which consists of just bread and lots of cheese. Once every fortnight or so I have cheese fondue for dinner. It balances out.

@bear, thank you!

1 Like

Looks delicious, though!

Pecan crusted chicken tenders with a roasted onion and garlic soup simmered down to use a dipping sauce

5 Likes

I don’t like the colour red but this one is nice because it’s Sichuanese chillies in oil ( google search image “lao gan ma”).

Quinoa with ribs of chard. The partner was stir-frying the leaves as I was making these photos.

SV octopus is the best, I wouldn’t bother with most other seafood cooking SV. One drawback is octopus is expensive… half the weight is the water, but you don’t really see it until it’s cooked. For this reason eating octopus in restaurants is even more expensive, even in octopus loving countries. One small tentacle costs about 10 euros.

9 Likes

I love dried octopus and calamari from the Asian store, reconstituted with hot water overnight or with a teaspoon of baking powder in 1 q of water, then pat dry with paper towels, add seasoning such as soy sauce, garlic, wine and korean chile, with sesame oil overnight then grilled. It was a favorite childhood dish. Your sichuan chile in oil looks good.

2 Likes

Leftover chicken sliced up, some goat cheese, and chopped roasted red pepper made for a pretty nice (albeit plain) panino. Should have added some Aleppo pepper for a bit of zip.

Tater chips and wine alongside. Early to bed, early to rise tomorrow, as I have to be at Mom’s on Wednesday morning for an 8:30 appt. Oy.

And I give up. You’re all gonna get upside down pictures or none at all.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

12 Likes

Potato crust frittata with spinach and garlic chicken sausage and bacon

Plantain fries and guacamole for a bedtime snack while watching planet earth 2, how did I miss this series?

Dumb question alert - so I’ve only recently been buying potatoes regularly but I know to store them in a cold, dark and dry place but it seems every bag of potatoes starts to sprout within a week. Is this normal?

5 Likes

Yes. It is, and this winter it has been worse than usual.

3 Likes

I seem to have better luck taking them out of the bag and placing each in the pantry where they can have some air around them. Might be my imagination but they seem to last a bit longer.

4 Likes

I have noticed that as many bags are plastic not mesh so they tend to sweat

Glad it’s not just me. I had this idea of potatoes as things that you could just tuck away for months.

Oh take them out of those silly plastic bags! Not good for potatoes. They need to “breathe” like mushrooms and onions.

2 Likes

Definitely get them out of plastic. They need to breathe. And if you leave them on the counter underlights will spoil even faster. They will grow eyes.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been taking them out of plastic. I was leaving them in a closet that “sees” every day light and they were turning green so realized that was too much and put them in a closed cabinet. The last bag I bought they were all already sprouting when I opened it. It might be better to just buy singles.