What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Congratulations!

I am just getting back to all the emails from hungry onions that went into my junk file . So happy for you. My Wolfie was hospitalized for vomiting and diarrhea some time ago. Diagnosis, was acute pancreatitis! He had too much chicken liver !!So, I only give him and Luna chicken liver once a month when he has to take his heartgard as they spit out the heartgard unless I grill the liver, chop it so fine that they cannot distinguish it from the heart gard. Since then, I keep pepcid, probiotic as soon as I think they have upset stomach! Wolfe had to have 3 days of iv fluids.
As for liquid antibiotics, I was advised to add it to a teaspoon of vanilla ice cream which he loves1 He had to have 3 days of antibiotic for dental prophylaxis last month!

1 Like

still reading about sausages.
will try 80% venison , 20% pork that is 80/20, add unsalted pork fat 10% ( wander if I should add a bit of duck fat .
I will smoke them but still reading and taking notes. I will hot smoke them
Have not yet cleaned my pellet smoker since I used it 5 days ago,
Will let u know how it turns out if and when I make the sausage.
Found some Ben’s half smokes at Costco for the first time.
Ben’s Chili Bowl (is the place in DC made famous by Bill Cosby and later Obama. I see they have other satellites now. ) They tasted pretty good!

just found out the answer.
Now, I have tons and tons of emails to catch up with

1 Like

just fixed it
thanks

A visit to Wegmans after a haircut resulted in fresh dry sea scallops from New Bedford, MA. Along with a lot of other things which will show up in later meals.

So scallops in saffron cream was for dinner tonight. Served on leftover basmati rice, with sauteed carrots, radishes, and sugar snap peas tossed with some s/p and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning. Wine alongside.

T’was very good.

ETA: @naf - upside down again. Do we have any reasoning as to why this has just started happening?

11 Likes

That costco didn’t have them (or at least the employees didn’t know where they were if they did.) I will keep looking.

They don’t know what it was - they assume he “got into something”. And traveling in Bordeaux??? Wow. Lucky you! Hopefully Traveling Cat gets used to it!

1 Like

I am making Vindaloo pork and chicken for dinner tonight
Using air chilled chicken thighs ( for the first time)
Instead of just adding onions, I caramelized my onions. Here is a picture of the onions that are almost there, but need another 10 minutes or so to get it darker. I add this with vindaloo spice from savory spice ( am not sure how much I added but I add enough to taste, 2 tbsp at a time, maybe half a cup? ) , bay leaf, ginger, spring onions, garlic. and of course cider vinegar After I caramelized my onions, I added water to get every bit of those caramelized onions out with the 2 bones from my smoked pork butt cooked tuesday as stock for the dish, red sauce from the freezer made with ancho, pasilla, poblano and mulato chili pods ( I make a batch by hydrating them after toasting them in the oven for a few minutes, add garlic, caramelized onions, chicken stock and oregano and cook them for at least 30-45 min) . Lots of cider vinegar to the prebrowned pork and chicken thigh to marinade for a while while I cooked my caramelized onions an browned some diced potatoes Here is a picture of the caramelized onion with another 15 minutes to go, and the vindaloo pork and chicken taken after we both had our dinner . I am a poor photographer. Still lots left over, so I will not have to cook for the next 2 days. IMG_0536IMG_0539

6 Likes

I have never added baking soda to speed up cooking time.
I do love baking soda for my buffalo chicken wings cooked in the oven rather than fried. It makes it very crispy.
I have also been using it for my scallops. I learned that technique from Presunto.
It makes the scallops much crispier with a nice brown crust.
Had been cooking scallops for the past 2 weeks since Safeway had a sale of the Dry Sea scallops ( all natural without sodium tripolyphosphate in one pound bag of less than 15 count per bag. It was perfect for 2 without buying the big bag from Costco. I stocked up 6 pounds, went to buy more but had a rain check for 6 more bags. My son absolutely adores those scallops so do my pomeranians.

1 Like

I bought a bag of sodium citrate to make some Modernist queso:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

I used some sharp cheddar instead of pepper jack because that’s what I had in the fridge. Made 1/5 of the recipe.

Fun with chemistry. I made some waffle fries and topped with carnitas, the queso, some salsa, pickled jalapeños, and chicharrónes.

And some steamed baby broccoli.

9 Likes

Your brioche looks pretty good to me!

1 Like

Fingers crossed and like all the paws in the house!

Cozy bowl dinner to end a productive day of chores and catching up on audiobooks. I caught a sale on game meat last week so was eager to dive into the stash-venison mushroom and onion meatballs over mashed plantains with marinated onions.

4 Likes

Simple burgers last night. Made burger buns.
buns
burgers

Pecan chess pie

8 Likes

thanks

10 Likes

So cute!

I cry when they are not feeling well too
They are with, me all the time, they sleep with me too
They are my emotional support dogs so I take them everywhere on the rare ocassion I go out even to my periodontist who loves them. They sit on his wife’s lap while I am having treatment.
They are with me whenever I work in the garden and when I go out to an indoor mall, they just love it
Groceries store, in problem, even Costco except the one store in Pentagon City
The male supervisor there saw the dogs on leash and told me to place them in the cart
I told them the is not allowed, that I forgot our side bags, ( I have one for each of them , I carry one dog while my son carries another)
The male supervisor went to get cardboard, cut them up and say, there, place them in the grocery basket. Now, he says they will be more comfortable without being run over by other carts.
However, one female supervisor another day told me that they are not service dogs and not allowed.
So, I try not to go to Pentagon City ( too bad bec they have more stuff than other Costco) unless my son can walk them outdoors or in the mall because not knowing when that male supervisor is on duty.

Did it make the best queso ever…? I’ve never played with the stuff myself but looks like there are some fun uses

It was pretty good but kind of salty. I’m guessing this is from the sodium in the sodium citrate. Nice smooth nacho cheese velveeta like texture if that’s what you’re going for. It was kind of thin when cooking but thickened up when it cooled down a bit.

1 Like