What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Double soup day today!
A very beautiful yet somewhere bland veggie soup at brunch (it improved with a good hit of salt and pepper), alongside my bloody mary

I picked up this great (vegan) mushroom slice at sullivan street bakery that i had with my lentil soup for dinner. There’s an impressive amount of paper thin mushrooms on top and a significant amount of thyme.

I made this new to me lentil soup yesterday afternoon only i swapped in cilantro for the parsley because i prefer it and went with regular brown lentils since it’s a blended soup. It’s really quite good, the gremolata garnish is the key, along with the onion and in my case cilantro ontop.

ETA: Yay!! My photos are right side up!!!

6 Likes

Tenzaru soba using frozen shrimp tempura from Trader Joe’s. The dipping sauce is a mix of mirin, soy sauce, dashi, and sugar.

8 Likes

All corrected.

Maybe you should take your picture upside down :wink:. No idea why, it’s auto detection, mainly applied to you and at times to @smtucker or @ccj.
@hungryonion please note this.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to try that recipe. That looks great.

1 Like

I am using an iPhone camera with the latest software updates. [if that helps]

Glad Finn is feeling better
I had to cancel my trupanion insurance for the babies as I found they were not really interested in the babies but just my monthly premium.
After paying ins for the past 4 years at about $80/ month, with no claims at all, I saw Luna hop for a few sec. on 3 legs October, 2017 raising her left rear leg, then return to normal. I called and asked if Luna can have hydrotherapy if needed. It was denied bec they claim LUX of patella is preexisting within a month of policy becoming effective! Pomeranians and small breeds have high % of subluxated patella. 45% are bilateral. We were advised not to bring the babies to vet within the first month of coverage otherwise anything found is considered preexisting and not covered. We did so for Wolfie but Luna, his daughter came to us at a very tender age, under 2 lbs. They stay with me in the garden, weather permitting. With high tick season, I took her for lyme test and shots 10 days after ins bec effective. I was told to bring her back every week X3 because it is too painful to have 3 shots in one sitting at her age and weight. Casually, the vet told me she has slight subluxation of right rear patella. I was not concerned bec Luna was given a clean bill of health from the breeder’s vet just before adopting her. Beside, she is Wolfie’s daughter, who has no subluxation history in his family. Second vet in same clinic a week later denied Luna has Lux , too early to tell bec her growth plate has not closed yet and can easily be manipulated. Third visit, the same vet who gave a diagnosis of LUX change her opinion , that Luna has to be reexamined when older. They are denying any claim for Lux even when the initial vet changed her opinion .The same vet who says she does not have subluxation left the practice since, I tracked her down,. She wrote to them and says that at least her left rear should be covered since the question in 2014 was her right rear. They denied it claiming high incidence of bilateral occurrence. $4000 insurance premium later, not a claim bec I also found out that the $500 deductible for the life of their policy is per disease. When Wolfie had acute pancreatitis with a bill of $700, they only approved half of that. ( examination by tech and other tests not covered) Follow up not covered either. l Was so pissed I cancelled it after 3 months of requesting peer review by a licensed vet ( review by a clerk) TRUPANIAN INSURANCE, BEWARE! THEY EVEN HAVE THE NERVE TO ASK ME TO LEAVE WOLFIE’S POLICY WIH THEM . I have not decided to buy further insurance as Luna’s subluxation will no be covered by any company.

@Mr_Happy Mr_Happy, is there anything you can’t cook? What IS your challenge? :triumph:

Post of Finn feeling better again wins! :joy_cat: This morning I turned the monitor sideway to see the pic!

3 Likes

Very Austrian (I’m a fan of Austria). The potatoes served with Schnitzel are more commonly salad-like, but fried is also great.

Nice bread! I always add some rye flour to mine. 100g rye and 400g white or whole wheat.

We have many accomplished bakers in here! I only bake breads and sometimes Flammkuchen.

All my favourite things in 1 photo: mushrooms, cream, caviar lentils, SV duck legs and wine.

I keep buying wines from places I have been to.

Now you know why I have a soft spot for Argentinian and Chilean wines.

8 Likes

You forgot the cheese.

Gorgeous and drool-worthy, Presunto.

Started with a vegetable medley of pan roasted onions, peppers, potatoes and zucchini. Served with seared amberjack

13 Likes

Easy old favorite one pot kale and quinoa, haven’t made it in a while but works with about any hearty greens. The market near me the bunches of kale are ginormous so i just use it all (i save the stems to juice), tonight i swapped in sunflower seeds instead of pine nut$, and used kite hill cashew cheese instead of goat cheese. Often i use nutritional yeast instead. And more scallions as a garnish on top.
Snacked on my now very funky homemade kimchi while cooking, plenty of leftovers for lunches this week.

5 Likes

Simply nice

1 Like

Thanks. It was a pretty simple meal

1 Like

Pork cutlet with capers and lemon. Baked potato. Sauteed zucchini with a little side of arugula and tomato. Wine to drink. Cheers:wine_glass:

6 Likes

looks like the squeeze in picture. Somebody needs to fix this. It’s not on my end. Last picture until it’s fixed. What all the sudden everyone’s pictures are not working with different laptops ,cameras, Etc. Really?

I limit my cheese intake to lunch, which consists of just bread and lots of cheese. Once every fortnight or so I have cheese fondue for dinner. It balances out.

@bear, thank you!

1 Like

Looks delicious, though!

Pecan crusted chicken tenders with a roasted onion and garlic soup simmered down to use a dipping sauce

5 Likes