What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

A post was split to a new topic: Aloo gosht (goat meat and potato)

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made some gyudon and ate with some miso soup and steamed zucchini.

7 Likes

I’ve never noticed any graininess. I wonder if it was partially frozen at some point.

It’s turned into an ice wind storm and I was the idiot who decided to go run errands but I’m glad I did as it doesn’t look like I’ll be leaving the house this weekend. Dinner was a simple steak and sweet potato with ghee.

5 Likes

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi all! HO has a new recipe reference section from now on.
Please post your recipes here:

https://www.hungryonion.org/c/cooking/recipes

Please include a clear title of your recipe (1 post 1 recipe),
the recipes get posted in the section, please link back to the original post here
or any post in HO.

Thanks for attention.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have edited @bmorecupcake’s recipe post in this thread to give you an example.

If you want to contribute to improve this feature, discussion is here.

5 Likes

Thanks, i was thinking the same thing… heck, my cucumbers were fine at the store and by the time i walked six big blocks home one was partially frozen the other night! I’ll blend this one into a soup instead of eating as is.

1 Like

It truly has been that cold!

Thanks for the reminder, lasagna or pasta bake of some sort has been floating in my head but I’m off dairy for a while so should probably pick some up. I’ll let you know if I notice any texture changes.

1 Like

I meant me having wine. Doesn’t matter if it’s a Friday or a Tuesday. :joy::hamburger::wine_glass:

2 Likes

Sorta-kinda football food. Country-style pork ribs covered with an often used pork rub, into a foil-lined pan and topped with slices of sweet onion, covered tightly with foil and baked in a 325° oven for about 1-1/2 hours. Foil removed, some Trader Joe’s Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce was poured on top at that point and back into a 400° oven for another 15-25 minutes.

Sides were totally non-traditional - but it IS January, so cole slaw and potato salad just didn’t seem right. Egg noodles and sauteed green beans, red bell pepper, slivers of red onion and a couple of yellow sweet baby tomatoes were sauteed in butter and olive oil, and seasoned with Penzeys Fox Point Seasoning.

Wine. And probably some Licor 43 as “dessert” while watching the game. GO PATRIOTS!!!

8 Likes

Snow day Saturday clam and smoked oyster chowder for dinner last night. I think it was the first time I’ve had oysters and was a nice introduction, they were pretty tasty, reminded me of mussels. I tolerated the cauliflower which is a huge win for me after weeks of stomach issues.

6 Likes

Dinner was street food.

The very wet paste is just rice.

More of the stall.

I like making photos of people making photos of their food.

At another stall.

I will always go for shellfish and octopus first.

The stall.

7 Likes

Cleaning out some leftovers. “Everything rice” with avocado. Everyone had it a bit different. The kid ate it with nori sheets. I had a leftover fried egg. Third one was with leftover poached chicken. Everyone added their own fish sauce, sriracha, soy sauce, toasted sesame seeds, fried chilis, etc. This rice started with fried shallots, carrots, salt/pepper, palm sugar, shrimp paste. Then I toasted the medium-grain rice in that for a couple minutes. Then half coconut milk, half water for the cooking liquid. Aromatics are red chili and cilantro stems (discarded after cooking.) Finished with lime juice, defrosted peas, and finally chopped cilantro.

Crispy burnt bits are only for me, something about the coconut milk/palm sugar/shrimp paste always makes these taste incredible. Worth the whole 10 minutes of elbow grease it takes to clean the pot.
20180114_121230

8 Likes

In my house we “fight” for the burnt bits. I soak the pot overnight, it’s easier to clean the next day.

Your photos are amazing, @Presunto.

1 Like

So the Jax Jaguars are coming north next week. BRING IT ON! :smiley:

Dinner was just OK tonight. Buttermilk & herb-marinated chicken thighs which were then roasted (this was the OK part). Steamed broccoli alongside (this part sucked due to the herb-butter thingie I made - too salty).

So a pic of the Sleepytime Boyz is included.

There was wine. But I want chocolate.

8 Likes

The last few days have been all about meat. I have made chorizo sausage, Jagerwurst sausage, broken down a packer’s cut brisket into the flat and point, and produced two batches of jerky.

I need to stock the freezer before I start cycle 11 on Tuesday, and needed some culinary challenges.

The jerky is for the son-in-law. First batch was an Alton Brown recipe and the second one is from a website called Jerkyholic. Really, jerkyholic. Batch 2 wins.

The two sausages were a way to use a whole pork butt. The chorizo is fabulous. I will make a typical Mexican egg breakfast dish with this. Half of it will go to my daughter’s house tomorrow. I will smoke the Jagerwurst tomorrow.

The point was smoked today. Standard Texas brisket rubbed with salt and pepper. I had planned to make some burnt ends, but it came out so well we just sliced it. Served with my daughter’s Mac & Cheese, a spinach salad that I made with spinach, pickled onions, goat cheese, toasted walnuts and dried cranberries. Finally, I made a huge number of biscuits. Many went home with daughter and son-in-law, but the extra one stayed here because, the Grand Scallion is having her first sleep-over!

17 Likes

Those biscuits are correct.

3 Likes

Just made a huge pot of hot sour soup
I do not follow any ratio when making this soup. Just follow my instinct.
Poach chicken breast, leave it in the broth for 30 minute, took it out and shredded the breast to be added later on. I then add to the broth wood ear, tiger lily bud ( presoaked and tied into knots, reconstituted dried mushroom which had been presoaked in a pot of hot water, cider vinegar, red hot pepper and white pepper to taste. When all these flavors melded, I add the shredded chicken breast back in, cubes of firm tofu, chinkiang black vinegar to taste, sesame oil and scrambled egg with a tablespoon of sweet potato starch so that the soup is a bit thicker. One last thing, before serving, I like to add shallot fried in sesame oil, then a splash of soy sauce which when added to the soup before seeing gives it a whiff of very nice aroma.

9 Likes

That sounds incredible! And much more fancy that the simple one i made…the fried shallot at the end is a nice touch.