What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Frittata for dinner - garlic chicken sausage, turkey bacon and mushrooms

Baked cinnamon apples with vanilla ghee over sheep’s milk froyo for dessert

7 Likes

Are we related? Is your husband ok with this? My wife would like it if I had dinner ready earlier!

Generally he is alright, at times for some reasons (I am trying new recipes?!), we eat at 11pm, he isn’t so pleased. But for a practical reason, dining at 8:30 pm or earlier is logical for most people, because here, film on TV usually starts at 9pm.

Did you make the sheep’s milk froyo yourself? If so, do have sheep’s milk readily available at a local market?

I make it from store bought sheep’s milk yogurt, Old Chatham Sheepherding Company brand. I wish I could find just sheep’s milk to make yogurt.

That will be great. Please do share in a separate post, so it won’t get buried here. Months and years from now, a recipe (as a stand alone post) will benefit others. Do we have a recipe section? :thinking:

1 Like

That is one thing I notice in many Korean BBQ place. I prefer to grill my food. :zipper_mouth_face:

Looks like Chicken Soup and Matzo Balls!

2 Likes

It does! But they are actually farina dumplings. Egg, farina, a little oil and salt. I used Knorr bouillon cubes for the broth, because that’s how my mom made them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lack of appetite explained. I am sick. Bound to happen four days after my annual physical. No better place to get sick, after all! Managed to eat an egg for dinner.

2 Likes

Smoked a spatchcocked chicken this evening.

Side was mashed potatoes. Didn’t want to mess too much with the main

4 Likes

Monday night was still crazy cold, i just had some of the cabbage soup i made on the weekend
Last night was late at work due to dumb $hit that should not have been my problem yet it became a mess i had to take care of. Ugh. I had half a peanut butter clif builder bar at my desk and stopped at whole foods for a cup of vegan black bean soup (very meh) and a little box of random veggies from the salad bar. Whatever. Sometimes nutritious food in the tummy ASAP is the only objective.

Easy all time favorite tonight, tofu triangles in peanut buttery sauce. Hits the spot every time! I like to flop the hot tofu and sauce over a bowl of fresh baby spinach so it wilts a bit and catches extra sauce.
**note there is waaay too much soy sauce in the recipe as written! Start with one TB and then taste and adjust.

6 Likes

BTDT way too many times.

UGH. Feel better soon!

1 Like

Whoa. Just got home. It’s midnight in Seoul and 4pm here back at home. The night I flew out it was -9C, here it’s 10C so I was a bit overdressed when I left the airport.

I am on my super soft and warm bed drinking tea, exactly what I had planned. Slept on 3 beds in Korea and they were all hard as a rock. Well, it was only a bit softer than a slab of concrete. There’s almost no soft padding at all and I felt every single rib when sleeping on my sides.

Pasta with tomato sauce for dindin today, if I feel like eating. Hardly ate anything since I left Seoul. Just loss all my appetite due to travel stress. The partner is going to cook and I’ve said no onions and garlic in the sauce.

Speaking of which, I’m going to lay off a few things for a little while: onions, garlic, rice, meat and alcohol. Still have a couple of batches of kimchi but can’t face it anytime soon! Though, I will still eat Sauerkraut and some Speck. Good thing the kimchi can sit in the fridge for a long time.

The process of travelling is enormously stressful and deeply unpleasant. All the people who work at airports are equally unpleasant, as are some of the passengers. I do appreciate and respect the air crew. Always thank them on my way out.

I’m going to try to stay awake but too dead to do anything. So good to be home again!

3 Likes

Same. Another reason is I prefer to eat at my own pace.

I like these clams, very meaty. If you over cook them they will be tough. I steam or bbq them briefly. Eaten simply with a sauce of anchovies, capers. parsley, lemon juice.

They are called almond clams, just like in French. Here they are imported from France.

I don’t know the name, will ask for you. You can download different languages to translate to and from, some have a camera option but not all.

OK, the translation “app” is just google translate for android.

3 Likes

I hope it that it was legal to SMOKE a chicken!!

1 Like

50° today; supposed to be 60° tomorrow. :hushed: Then the freeze comes in on Saturday and we’ll be down to mid-20s. Whackadoodle Weather.

Got out of work on time today - YAY ME! I’ve tried to plan dinners this week - yesterday was sketti & sawce (easy to pull from the freezer at 7:15 when I got home); tonight was Tangerine-Ginger Glazed Chicken, basmati rice, and roasted asparagus.

Chicken was seasoned with s/p, pan-seared in butter and olive oil, and then tucked into a hot oven with a couple of spoonfuls of a blend of Aloha from Oregon Tangerine Marmalade, a squirt of Dijon mustard, a sploosh of white wine, and a heaping tsp of grated ginger until the chicken was done.

Simple, but good. Yup, there was wine.

7 Likes

My cold is affecting my taste buds. :frowning:
Dinner was 1/3 of a baked potato with a bit of butter. I thought someone was trying to poison me! It tasted just awful. Mr. SMT told me that is just tasted like a potato. He enjoyed some of the house-made sausage.

Well the chicken was legal but then I’m not from California

The smoked chicken made a repeat performance tonight. The white meat was used to make a chicken salad served with boutique lettuce

My wife is coming down with a cold and requested a hot toddy after dinner. 120 proof private picked Knob Creek, honey and lemon. She should sleep well

5 Likes