What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

Thanks for the recipe for the leek soup. I think I will try it out. I have made this soup many times, but never with brown butter and white wine.

1 Like

A simple dinner which brings great pleasure. Restaurant is on a side street leading to the fish market. No menu, no photos of the food to show what the restaurant offers, a big language barrier (but it was no problem at all), no other tourists, no TripAdvisor sticker. Exactly what I want. The only research I did for this trip is typical foods of this city. Since I know almost nothing about Korean cuisine most things taste good to me anyway. If a place has locals eat there then I want to eat there as well. Just like when I was a novice.

The cook stands outside beckoning you over to the table. You walk to the outdoors kitchen to see what is being cooked. If you like what you see the cook asks if you want the meal for 1 or 2 persons. That’s about it. The photo is the whole meal this place serves. You don’t have another choice except more fish (costs extra).

The view from where I sat. That’s the cook outside.

Has 6 small tables. Customers I saw were the type who would rather not pay more than necessary. In this case, eur.4. The man behind me got an extra piece of fried fish (for an extra cost).

5 Likes

Awesome!! Thank you for this!
Project Kimchi will commence soon!! :):grin:

1 Like

You’re good! Actually carmel valley (not much sunshine in carmel!), i got a bunch of freckles from all the sunshine!!

1 Like

I hope you do, it’s a rather simple soup but with a bit of salad and ideally some crusty bread it makes for a great winter dinner. I think that recipe card may be older than i am!

1 Like

My first meal after returning from Bordeaux, made this meal with an empty fridge…

A nice Korean eat-out for dinner tonight.

2 Likes

Today, after I checkin today’s guests, I got to that fresh ham steak. But this ham steak’s story starts 8 days go. I cured the steak, which is one of the most annoying parts of my pig share, for five days. You pull from the brine when the flesh is just beginning to firm up. Then it went onto my new smoker for a long cold smoke with apple wood.

Today it was time for the hot smoke to actually cook the ham steak. For some reason, Mr. SMT thought this would be dinner. Hah! That isn’t how smoking works… and I was right. Dinner was some Magic Freezer Ribs with the rest of the broccolini and some Near East Wild Rice stuff.

Meanwhile, I pulled the ham from the smoker at 140º. I knew it had had enough smoke, so I finished it in the more efficient indoor oven.

after the cold smoke

after the hot smoke

This will turn into at least one of tomorrow’s meals. I am thinking mac n’ cheese with some petite peas, but I might be over-ruled.

8 Likes

Incredible!

I like that you suffer for your food.,:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Yesterday afternoon was lentil soup day! I have a new “trick” where i deglaze the pan after my mirepoix in olive oil has completely wilted and shrank down and starts to get browned and stick to the pan then i add a bottle of pale ale beer! There’s also tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, a splash of soy sauce, vegetable better than bullion, diced canned tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, spinach, green beans, little black beluga lentils, and… dunno what else…
that will actually be dinner tonight since it’s better the next day. There will probably sour cream on top for mom and dad and i’ll dribble everyone’s bowl with some red wine vinegar. My sister and nephew are coming over as well and i’ll make us a green salad with whatever i find in the fridge.
Forgot to take a photo while cooking, here’s a terrible one of it in tupperware now

Last night i actually met a very old friend who got in touch with me for the first time in more than a decade (!) dinner was basically some semi stale chips at the dive bar we went to (with the worst moscow mule in the history of ever) and then i had one of mom’s amazing chocolate chip cookies (ny times recipe) with hot almond milk when i got home. It had enough dairy to actually really hurt my poor tummy but was SO GOOD it was worth every bite!

I’m making some coconut quinoa granola this afternoon and then vacation is over in CA, i fly out tomorrow already ;(

7 Likes

I love dive bars.:sunglasses:

It is freaking freezing right now here. I went to work and it was -32 C this morning. It warmed up to -30 C mid afternoon.

I’ve decided that lentil soup with the leftover ham bone from Christmas is what’s going to happen for dinner. Loving this new instant pot for these not well planned dinner ideas.

6 Likes

Well then next time you’re in Carmel itself go to Barmel! The live music was actually really good, but definitely a beer and whiskey kind of place…

2 Likes

The ham, in addition to a Magic Freezer mac n’ cheese and some frozen petite peas, turned into dinner. This is the meal that we had as kids on Christmas Eve since Christmas Day was devoted to skiing,

With some bracing mustard.

Enough leftover for a sandwiches.

9 Likes

It stopped, hallelujah it stopped and now I can live my life on the couch resting as I’m feeling quite run down and ravenous for protein which is what usually happens after I have prolonged stomach upset. I’m doubting a bug and suspecting a food intolerance so it’s back to my go to gut healing protocols for a while to reset things and so long to Siete brand foods (it was nice while it lasted!)

Last night I picked up a rotisserie chicken at Whole Foods (love that they are no longer so expensive), picked the meat, popped the bones in the instant pot for a quick stock and made chicken soup. For dessert I enjoyed gummies I made earlier in the day to nibble on for the collagen - apple cider vinegar cinnamon. I’ll make a batch of kombucha gummies this morning for the weekend.

3 Likes

Oh my! And I thought it was cold here in NY!

1 Like

It has been a long time since I experienced that kind of cold. We plugged in our car. The dog would refuse to go outside. We didn’t have the right kind of outerwear and froze our little patooti’s off. Soup is the perfect answer for weather like that.

1 Like

Lentil soup finished with a touch of red wine vinegar! When we have fancy balsamic vinegar, we use a little drizzle on top of our bowls. We enjoy it and think it amplifies the flavors of the lentil soup.

4 Likes

Going away tomorrow , so had our NY 's eve party for my son’s friends ahead of schedule last night , probably end tonight
Had sea food festival , guests stayed overnight,
For dinner, we had charcuterie, cheese platter, fried shrimp ( with sweet potato flour, eggs, panko), oysters on the hat shell( from our dock)

Pan fried Chilean till

Sea Bass ( with miso, shaoxing wine, mirin, ginger, garlic and spring onions served with rice), mocha chocolate cake, lots of wine, alcohol.
At3:00AM, home made pizza by my son, bed time at 6:00AM
Breakfast was the usual scrambled eggs, spinach and parmesan cheese, with maple sausage, bacon, Costco’s red lobster biscuit, cappuccino.
Sorry I did not take pictures , too busy coordinating ! These were taken by a guest
Guests stayed over, coach, air mattress all over, dancing with 2 DJ’s here. Will have repeat performance of Chilean Sea Bass , fried rockfish ( from our pier), fried baby calamari for lunch and perhaps later clams cooked in cataplana with wine and vegetable.

6 Likes

Looks great. I’m all about the cake -what kind is it?