What's for Dinner #28 - 12/2017 - The Whatever Holiday Edition

So sorry about the death of your grandfather. But glad you are feeling better.

1 Like

My condolences to you and yours.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. Comfort food heals.

2 Likes

Thanks. My dad reminded me how much he was suffering and now he’s not which has helped for the moment.

1 Like

Thanks. That corn…I think I once used a 5 year expired can of tomatoes.

1 Like

Oh man, that sounds like really really rough day… my sympathies on your loss, that is never easy no matter the circumstances.

I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes with almond butter and generous salt and pepper. Salsa probably isn’t the best idea for your tummy today… or just pan fried like has browns with coconut oil and generous salt works. Some dijon is a nice condiment if that’s manageable.

1 Like

IMG_1672

Christmas day brunching, lots of fresh fruit (they’re growing the berries in greenhouses here now), and some sort of brioche breakfast casserole thing that has too much dairy for me. The fried eggs, coffee and mimosas didn’t make the photo.

Late afternoon it was chilly so we lit the fire and dad and i polished off the bubbles. I proceeded to nap on the couch nearby. Apparently watching basketball puts me to sleep (couldn’t care less).

For dinner my dad had picked up dungeness crab and spent some quality time picking them. They had an entree salad with iceburg, cucumber, some blanched green beans, cherry tomatoes, scallions, the crab, and a crab louie salad dressing i made with best foods mayo and such. My salad was the same, just swapping in some chickpeas i had let marinade in a vinegrette, and i had the vinegrette dressing.
Hot chocolate with almond milk and a tiny pc of mom fudge for dessert

6 Likes

Thanks. Hash browns sound perfect, great idea!

1 Like

First meal in Korea from the other day. It was lunch European time and dinner/evening meal Korean time. My body was still on European time. The kimchi is so goooooood here at the source! I could just eat all different types of kimchi with plain rice alone and I am not fond of eating rice more than once a week!

The soup is “boiled mud fish”. The flesh is invisible but there were some tiny bone fragments in the soup. Greens in the soups were spinach and the dreaded scallions. Now on my 3rd day I see a pattern of soup being served with a meal, even if you don’t specifically order it. A little bowl of broth comes with the rice.

You cut up your kimch with a pair of scissors.

Pork belly and daikon kimchi. Both are terrific.

Rice comes in a bamboo box. The employee gave us instructions how to do it: scoop most of the rice into a bowl to eat, pour boiling water in the bamboo container which still has the slightly burnt rice in it. Next time I would like to eat the burnt rice as is. I’m so glad she could explain all that to me using only a few English words she knows, such as “water”, “rice” etc. The rest was gesturing.

The rice containers again.

The restaurant is bright and clean. It was near closing time and there were only a few people including us. Staff were patient and kind to us.

Took these photos yesterday morning on the way to the train station. The restaurant is about 50m from my lodging on the same street, nowhere near central Seoul. Their speciality is boiled mudfish soup.

Delivery by the kitchen door.

The boss is getting the fish out of the tank to be cooked.

OMG, they wiggle madly.

What they look like close-up.

I am in Busan now, south of the country where Japan is directly across the water. More later because I’m going to go check out the famed fish market nearby.

10 Likes

Love this report. Can’t wait to read more!

2 Likes

@fldhkybna, so sorry to hear about your GI issues, but also about your grandfather’s passing. I hope you feel better soon, and enjoy the kitty kuddles and Hallmark channel.

As for sweet potatoes, I’m always a fan of maple syrup and ground ginger blended into mashed sweets.

1 Like

Thank you. I want to visit a new country each year because it’s so easy to go back to ones I have been to. So happy with my choices this year!

I am going to post non-food related trip photos in another section. Those photos can be equally interesting.

1 Like

Mr. SMT is sick. I don’t really know what he has, but with temperatures hovering near 101º, it can’t be taken lightly. Abdominal pain is part of this, so we have been eating lightly. I had my “routine” PET/CT scan today, which means I was injected with radioactive waste. Though “they” claim there are no side effects, tell my body this. We are the walking wounded right now. Tonight was oatmeal. He ate a bit. I ate a bit more. His fever has broken a bit, and I am hoping that tomorrow will bring the ability to eat real food.

2 Likes

The sheer variety of kimchi is so amazing! And how they are different from summer to winter. There is a small soup and rice with nearly all restaurant meals, often a simple soup/broth is made with the charred rice from the bottom of the pot, you are lucky to have a full serving of it that’s the prized part.

2 Likes

You clearly need to get past your “fear of kitchen temperatures” and start experimenting. I will warn you that making your own kimchi has some odors that you might find astonishing. My husband has requested that I never make kimchi at home again.

2 Likes

One street in my lodging’s neighbourhood has bbq restaurants one after another. That’s what for dinner. There’s no sufficient lighting in the restaurant, apologies for the blurry photos.

Marbled beef.

The vegs.

Tiny pickled chillies are nicely plated for your aesthetically pleasure.

The tiniest wok of garlic cooked in fat.

The cooking is done over a small charcoal pit.

Washed down with a weak beer.

Koreans all eat a big plate a mixed beef. We should try that next time.

The damage. I get no such beef for this price or this meal at home.

The restaurant from the outside, next to some kind of club with bar girls.

11 Likes

Feel better!

1 Like

That was breakfast this morning, I figured the ginger would help the tummy. I’m off to work today (everyone else is on vacation) and hoping to get home and eat something other than oats and sweet potato though I can’t complakn, they are pretty tasty.

1 Like

Wishing you peace and comfort after the loss of your beloved grandfather.

Simple sustenance is just the thing while you feel the feelings.

Here is an alternative to using the pressure cooker for the oats, in case it’s helpful. A friend once tipped me to soaking steel cut oats overnight so they’d be ready to cook in the morning. I put the oats in a pot and cover them with the amount of water I’d use
to cook them. I may add more water in the morning depending on how much the grain has absorbed.

Take really good care of yourself.

2 Likes

:grin::heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::+1: