What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

She really is charming and enthusiastic! She’s great at explaining techniques and ingredient alternatives too.

A quiet day of reading, silly Hallmark movies, and dinner prep.

Roasted half leg of lamb after marinating all day in olive oil, garlic, minced rosemary, minced shallots, salt, pepper, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.

Roasted potatoes tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, dried thyme, and ground sumac. Steamed green beans. And wine.

8 Likes

My apartment is just a block away from the nyc marathon route- which is awesome since everyone goes out to cheer them on, there were a few ladies giving out bananas to the runners and a rowdy group in italian flag shirts who would start yelling even louder in italian when runners in the Italian flag jerseys came by.
But that also meant it wasn’t easy for me to get to/from my apartment.
A quick run to the not so great market near me and i found ginormous bunches of collard greens on sale 3lbs for $1! Ha! The market also tries to be “fancy” and randomly carries really expensive overpriced things which no one buys and then when i’m lucky i find them with a clearance sticker.
Like this awesome hazelnut butter!!

My late lunch was basically 50% hazelnut butter and 50%apple to hold it. :smile:
I made this recipe for braised collards in coconut milk with the greens, i didn’t need the veg broth and i swapped in soy sauce for tamari- and cooked them a lot longer, collards i like very soft. Just had a big bowl of that for dinner with some smoked tofu added and side of kombucha.
There may or may not be hazelnut butter on a spoon with tea as dessert…
https://food52.com/recipes/33854-collard-greens-braised-in-coconut-milk#comments

7 Likes

Yesterday I made a tandoor marinade and then prepared four chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-off, to hang out in that marinade for 24 hours. Before bed, I put some urad dal and kidney beans to soak. I had a craving for Dal Makhani. Since we do not own a tandoor oven, this isn’t really Tandoori Chicken, but Mr. SMT grills the chicken, more slowly so that marinade doesn’t burn before the chicken is cooked, and it is mighty close. Meanwhile, I made the dal inside. It wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, but it was mighty good. served with some basmati rice. I ran out of energy to make the cabbage, scallion, and mustard seed dish I had also been planning.

Enough left for a repeat tomorrow night.

9 Likes

Wife’s big birthday yesterday. Had number one son, girlfriend and my wife’s brother over for dinner

Big meat of slow roasted tenderloin, carrots and Kenji’s crispy oven roasted new potatoes where you cook them down in heavily salted waster until the water evaporates and finish in the oven. Salad and sautéed sliced mushrooms didn’t make it in the picture

13 Likes

Dinner details posted in the Boston thread:

Begin Cycle 9 at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Nothing like warming the cottage with roast chicken and vegetables. It’s 29 degrees outside. The rest of the chicken will be used for soup. Wine to drink. Cheers

9 Likes

Made some Cantonese style roast pork belly following this recipe:

Only instead of using the broiler I turned the oven up to 475F. I also scored the skin a little in addition to poking it. Came out pretty well, the skin was not as nice looking as the photos in the recipe though.

10 Likes

Trying to use up leftover tenderloin from the other night. Tonight it was with a Latin slant and exceeded expectations. A darn good burrito, taco ??

11 Likes

Really feels like fall fell here with a big THUD.
Cold and dumping rain, it was pitch black outside not long after 4pm while dumping rain on us. Ugh.
I decided a big stuffed baked potato sounded amazing and did the microwave then oven method so it dishes take forever. I had made cashew cream sunday night and added lemon juice, nutritional yeast and some smoked salt to make a creamy sauce. Topped the potato with some black beans and a generous amount of cashew cream, side of raw bell pepper strips with Everything seasoning and a mug of hot miso broth. The potato was seriously enormous, there’s about 1/3 left i couldn’t finish.

7 Likes

4 Hour chicken and vegetable soup. My version. With long croutons. Very satisfying on on a chilly night. Wine to drink. Cheers

6 Likes

THANK YOU for the cashew cream link. Dairy free sucks…so I appreciate a workaround.

1 Like

Looks so good. I must give it a go once.

Today I had chicken thighs marinated in kimchi sauce and the whole thing was cooked in the oven. In the summer it’s nice to grill the meat on the bbq but now it’s cold roasting it in the oven works, too. And when I say “kimchi sauce” I mean the liquid and bits left over from home-made kimchi. Not sauce from a bottle. In the Asian supermarket I see “kimchi base” in bottle for making kimchi. No. You mad? I can make kimchi myself.

Yesterday I ate my favourite meal!

Seared duck breast.

Austrian cheese dumplings were cubed and fried in the same pan after searing the duck breast. The cubes are at the far end of the plate. Next to them are steamed king trumpet mushrooms, and then 3 different beetroots in the middle. Cheese is the BEST food in the world. No other food can make me this happy.

Yesterday’s dinner was definitely Korean. This Korean oyster dish is called “gul muchim”. The partner was horrified at the sight, as always. The oysters are big, after a dozen of them I was full.

Salmon belly strips marinated in lots of kimchi sauce and a big spoon of Gochujang. Cooked under the oven grill. So good but also so very rich. The partner loves it.

Can’t really see it but that’s my home-made red cabbage kimchi (top left corner). In another bowl is boiled seaweed.

6 Likes

You’re going to find a million ways to use it! Just be careful to get RAW cashews (i just buy from bulk bins the less expensive pieces). Works great for anything from making a soup creamy (stir in at the end of cooking) to a sour cream to desserts with some sweetener. Way better than the faux dairy fake stuff out there.

That’s awesome. Cream soups and sour cream have been difficult.

I’ve already found that cashew “ice cream” is completely acceptable

1 Like

Everything looks incredible but those oysters, oh my! I would like to dive into that bowl.

Those salmon bellies are calling out to me. I like to slice them out as well and serve seperately. Best way to get your salmon oil fix

2 Likes

Fried rice with leftover roast pork.

IMG_3748

7 Likes

Thank you, both.

I’m a purist when it comes to oysters so this Korean dish was kind of strong for my taste. But it’s good to try something new once in a while.

Salmon belly strips cost eur.6/kg. I just have to remove the skin myself. Not long now until some TV chef says the belly strips are cheap and delicious then suddenly the fishmongers double the price. It has happened many times before. Octopus, monkfish, haddock, brill, crab claws etc. You name it, the prices have doubled or even trebled.

1 Like