What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Everything looks delicious. I didn’t know how to cook anything at 19. Nothing! I thought I could forever live on pizzas,chips, ketchup flavoured crisps, fried chicken, hamburgers etc! So, everything looks fine. Encourage your son to cook more and make things from scratch (not everything of course). Cooking is such a good hobby to have as it’s something one needs throughout life for both the body and soul!

Looking forward to seeing more of his food.

1 Like

Gratin is always a winner. I love gratin of all kinds.

I like these noodles. I think they take longer to cook, don’t they? I use them in savoury hotpots when I run out of mung bean noodles.

Come to Poland one day. I was in Krakow for only a few days and I liked it. The food is right up my alley (I have many alleys!). My eur.8 lunch without alcohol… what can I get for eur.8 at home? Not much.

Dumplings

Cabbage with mince and rice

Polish food without potatoes and/or soup? Unthinkable.

9 Likes

I like sweet potato noodles cooked with meat, chinese reconstituted mushroom, vegetable , usually something red, and green with lots of sesame oil.
This looks good, Am not familiar with this noodles
I suppose Japchae means in my native language chap chay meaning 10 or many vegetables.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Costco 2017 2nd half

Yes I believe so, the recipe calls for ~8 minutes of cooking for the sweet potato noodles, whereas for the naengmyeon that I used, the package directions called for only 2-3 minutes.

1 Like

What a fantastic meal! Details on the smoked chocolate chips? Never seen such a thing…

I love maangchi! Her youtube channel is really great too, the korean grocery store videos are legit helpful

3 Likes

Oooh, I can see hours of my time spent learning about Korean food at this site. Thanks for this new-to-me discovery.

Oh, I see many hours in front of a screen! Her enthusiasm is infectious!

2 Likes

glad to have helped
I stil have a bit left of the COUPE saffron
The price is great

1 Like

Her recipes are very well written and not dumbed down in any way. I’ve made a number of the easy banchan, and learned a lot just from reading through the site and recipes. A lot of them tend to be spicy but that’s easy to spot and adjust to taste. This spinach banchan is one of my favorites and uses ingredients i always have on hand
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sigumchi-namul

1 Like

She really is charming and enthusiastic! She’s great at explaining techniques and ingredient alternatives too.

A quiet day of reading, silly Hallmark movies, and dinner prep.

Roasted half leg of lamb after marinating all day in olive oil, garlic, minced rosemary, minced shallots, salt, pepper, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.

Roasted potatoes tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, dried thyme, and ground sumac. Steamed green beans. And wine.

8 Likes

My apartment is just a block away from the nyc marathon route- which is awesome since everyone goes out to cheer them on, there were a few ladies giving out bananas to the runners and a rowdy group in italian flag shirts who would start yelling even louder in italian when runners in the Italian flag jerseys came by.
But that also meant it wasn’t easy for me to get to/from my apartment.
A quick run to the not so great market near me and i found ginormous bunches of collard greens on sale 3lbs for $1! Ha! The market also tries to be “fancy” and randomly carries really expensive overpriced things which no one buys and then when i’m lucky i find them with a clearance sticker.
Like this awesome hazelnut butter!!

My late lunch was basically 50% hazelnut butter and 50%apple to hold it. :smile:
I made this recipe for braised collards in coconut milk with the greens, i didn’t need the veg broth and i swapped in soy sauce for tamari- and cooked them a lot longer, collards i like very soft. Just had a big bowl of that for dinner with some smoked tofu added and side of kombucha.
There may or may not be hazelnut butter on a spoon with tea as dessert…
https://food52.com/recipes/33854-collard-greens-braised-in-coconut-milk#comments

7 Likes

Yesterday I made a tandoor marinade and then prepared four chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-off, to hang out in that marinade for 24 hours. Before bed, I put some urad dal and kidney beans to soak. I had a craving for Dal Makhani. Since we do not own a tandoor oven, this isn’t really Tandoori Chicken, but Mr. SMT grills the chicken, more slowly so that marinade doesn’t burn before the chicken is cooked, and it is mighty close. Meanwhile, I made the dal inside. It wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, but it was mighty good. served with some basmati rice. I ran out of energy to make the cabbage, scallion, and mustard seed dish I had also been planning.

Enough left for a repeat tomorrow night.

9 Likes

Wife’s big birthday yesterday. Had number one son, girlfriend and my wife’s brother over for dinner

Big meat of slow roasted tenderloin, carrots and Kenji’s crispy oven roasted new potatoes where you cook them down in heavily salted waster until the water evaporates and finish in the oven. Salad and sautéed sliced mushrooms didn’t make it in the picture

13 Likes

Dinner details posted in the Boston thread:

Begin Cycle 9 at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Nothing like warming the cottage with roast chicken and vegetables. It’s 29 degrees outside. The rest of the chicken will be used for soup. Wine to drink. Cheers

9 Likes