What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

My oldest was trained out of it. Enter the crazy kitten and he relearned it from her. I gave up.

reinstalled OS for my computer but photo by IPHONE not appearing in my photo file. for some reason since over a week ago.
However, just thought I will try this
sent photo to my email and there, I can attach it.
I am too tired and lazy to cook, esp with son away
So, I made food that he does not like, Ma Po, and now chicken salad.
One of my husband’s favorite is this summer recipe which I make when we go out hiking or cruising in the boat. It is good semi frozen, then kept cool . Satisfying , protein, fruit and CHO in one meal.
I find most Americans do not like this combination but the ones who like it simply loves it.
My chicken salad ; Poached 6 chicken breasts, shredded, drained 3 IMG_0434 cans ( 24 ounces I think) of fruit cocktail, 6 small./med red potatoes cooked firm, not too soft , cubed, one can of drained beets , cubed to the size of the fruit cocktail , dressed with Duke’s mayonnaise.
I eat this for lunch, dinner and watch TV in bed.
I gave 1/3 away to a neighbor as there is too much to eat.

4 Likes

These look so perfect!

BF turned my tomato sauce into eggplant involtini. so fricken good! very light, despite the cheeziness… and his salad using the leftover crispy jamon serrano

10 Likes

There’s no such thing as too much cheese!

The salad looks great, too.

1 Like

I regret nothing.

Cat-IRegretNothing01

9 Likes

Soya sauce braised smoked tofu and tempeh.

I was looking for a pumpkin recipe in my Vietnamese cookery books and found one with beef mince but it’s actually a soup. Since I didn’t want soup I turned it into a stir-fry. But then I only had the rinds laying around so I used them. Seasoning was just fish sauce, pinch of sugar, garlic, onions and as much as chilli sauce as one likes.

I actually made both yesterday because today I would have no time to cook coming home from the pub at around dinner time.

5 Likes

oh yes - PREACHING TO THE CHOIR!

1 Like

Kind of a spur of the moment throw together.

Local garlic loaf drizzled with olive oil with leftover flank steak, a nice cheese and diced red peppers wih a mayo wasabi sauce dressing. Under the broiler.

11 Likes

Apple cider-brined pork chop with garlic, rosemary and peppercorns, pan-seared in butter, boiled and reduced brine added to the browned butter to reduce a bit more, strained and poured over the chop to finish in the oven. Sliced and drizzled with cider syrup (a Christmas gift from Mom last year).

Mashed maple-Aleppo pepper sweet potatoes, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds. Wine.

12 Likes

I keep finding myself scrolling up this thread … and staring at this salmon :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

After following me to New England 36 years ago, Mr. SMT has added fish-whisperer to his resume. His grill work with “steak” fish is extraordinary. I have trained him well, don’t you think?

5 Likes

Yes indeedy !!!

The meeting went well Wednesday and I’ve finished all shared work with my two favorite coworkers for now. I’m off service today (hallelujah!!!) so a much needed 3 day weekend for me which I plan to use for some good training sessions, reading, cooking and sitting on my bum. Last night I gave pork chops another chance using the circulator and they definitely were better than usual. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for make ahead Thanksgiving gravy but never got around to it that were about to go off so sautéed them up with onions, Badia and Worcestershire sauce.

11 Likes

Last night was our standing “every-six-months-whether-we-need-it-or-not” reservation at Sarma, which is within walking distance of our home.

Dinner… tonight they were firing on all cylinders.

Now to dinner. We are down to only four dishes per visit. The cauliflower and romesco fatteh was amazing tonight. It arrived at just about the same time as the calamari fritto which was actually fried calamari, eggplant and hot peppers with what they call a pine nut tartar and dukkah. This is new and FABULOUS!

Next up was the corn cakes with salty date butter, goat cheese, chowchow and pecans. Much sweeter than I had expected. Dates are sweet. There were four tiny cakes and after we each had one we waited for the duck with Egyptian carrots. I always love this dish, and it is hard to pass up. Less of the carrot puree than in previous visits, but we managed!

We noticed that there are far fewer of the passed plates these days. During our hour plus, there was only one option that passed by– a ham and cheese croquette. We had ordered as much meat as we wanted and didn’t elect to take.

EDIT: Ack!! Every six-WEEKS, not months

9 Likes

Pureed a kabocha squash to make a sauce for linguine (and Austrian dumplings for tomorrow). So good and so simple.

Aaaaaaaand… it’s the weekend, finally. Have a delicious one, everyone.

8 Likes

too bad this was so sweet, it sounded great!

I totally forgot to take a picture tonight. Usually, we eat together, but his alma mater’s first b-ball game of the season was being broadcast online, and so he ate his meal in front of the computer. So, I ate at the dining table and read the New Yorker. I made some chili [yes, with beans, he likes them] and it was darn good. I like a bit of cheddar cheese while he likes sour cream and tortilla chips.

I have about 4 additional meals to throw into the magic freezer.

Tomorrow, I get my pig share. Lots of processing, vacuuming, and freezing.

3 Likes

Today was Ripe Avocado Day! Even more exciting is that they’re on crazy sale at nyc whole foods right now, 4/$5 so there will be more in my future (currently they’re bright green and rock hard though)
I made the delicious avocado sauce from this recipe that i love, but i didn’t want pasta. I ended up doing a quick sauté of a lot of fresh spinach that i needed to use soon, some onions and garlic, and shredded in the last few random carrots. Then covered the veggies with an obscene amount of that tasty sauce. There’s a bit of sauce leftover which won’t be pretty tomorrow (the avocado oxidizes) but it’s still tasty the next day so it won’t go to waste.
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/

2 Likes

BF wanted to cook tonight, so he made TJs’ pork belly with chimichurri, some bendy-but-perfect-fries, and grilled tomato/onion. chimichurri went over everything, of course.

10 Likes