What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

So glad i made that big pot of soup yesterday! Chilly and rainy today but not as crazy dumping rain and wind as yesterday.
Who knows what kind of crazy was in the air at my office today but it turned into a marathon day so i was glad to have dinner hot and ready by the time i had changed into some cozy clothes. I had stopped at the corner bodega and apparently bought a snack size bag of dill pickle potato chips- had about five chips as my appetizer and that was enough , they’re kind of intense and bizarre.
Bowl of the sweet potato tomato peanut buttery soup/stew with a handful of cilantro on top, side of radishes with smoked salt and some kombucha.

5 Likes

Re fired last nights leftover pork … little bites of crack
Asparagus again, even roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic cloves they
are tasteless … note to self, no more asparagus outside of asparagus season! Made
spinach too, that was good.

5 Likes

Crazy windstorm last night - a transformer near our house exploded and the whole block lost power starting at around midnight through noon today. Of course, this would happen the very night after I just stocked up on a TON of meat at Costco and had it all in the fridge, where it had a good chance of spoiling. So, at 4am DH and I were up transferring meat from fridge to downstairs freezer in the hopes of saving it. Everything turned out fine, luckily, but I was in no mood to cook! So I heated up a couple of Applegate Farms hot dogs (no filler or sugar, Whole30 compliant!) on the grill pan and had some leftover spaghetti squash alongside. Apples sauteed in coconut oil and cinnamon for “dessert.”

5 Likes

Made some chicken drumsticks adobo, with white rice, kimchi, and a fried egg.

6 Likes

I love the stuff from Applegate Farms.

Glad you didn’t lose any meat. Damn, that sounds really awkward out of context, but you know what I mean.

2 Likes

I like these better than dr krackers. I was quite hooked on Mary’s crackers but at times, I’ve been worried about breaking teeth out them!

1 Like

I made them last week and they are so delicious and YES much less expensive than store bought. I can’t believe I’ve been paying $6 for 3 servings of crackers when the ingredients are less than that and make a million crackers

1 Like

I haven’t been cooking much, well I have just mostly meals on repeat. Lots of eggs and ground meat skillet meals and tapas style nibble meals which isn’t usually my style but my usually low appetite has been even lower so trying to just get food in and not complicate. The life changing crackers have been great for this and I made a few different batches of flax bread which is easily schmeared with butter for a quick bite.

I finally found ground lamb in this city so Sunday I made a quick sauté of ground lamb, red onions, seasoned with Greek seasoning and all mixed up with Trader Joe’s creamy goat cheese.

Last night I needed to use up some things in the fridge so made a lasagna/pizza dip with ground Italian chicken sausage, cottage cheese, Kite Hill ricotta, pepperoni and provolone cheese, eaten in bed with a spoon under a heated blanket with a kitty on my lap. The onesie is finally useful and it pairs so well with the slipper socks I found at Costco on Saturday.

4 Likes

Tonight is the last college friend dinner. We served some locally caught swordfish, a baked potato and vinegar cole slaw. Simple and delicious. I needed a simpler menu so I had the energy to actually enjoy the company. Tomorrow they will head off to the four corners of the world, and we will assess what to do with leftovers.

6 Likes

Green apples with blueberry vanilla goat cheese.

The man swapped shifts with someone so they could take their kids trick or treating and I’m kinda enjoying having the night off from real cooking. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Note to self:
If you only slept four hours last night having a small mushroom sushi roll followed by dark chocolate mnms, a random korean peanut mochi and some ginger candies is just NOT the way to feel awesome and productive all afternoon. Too. Old. For. This. *ish.

I needed a legit nutrient dense meal for dinner and just played chop n toss into the pan with some onions, garlic, kale, kohlrabi slaw, shredded carrots, and after that cooked down a bit i added a glug of soyaki and some diced tempeh. Into a bowl, topped with cilantro, furikake, and a generous portion of kimchi. Tons of leftovers because i am incapable of actually only making one portion of anything.
Kombucha a la carte.
My building is kid-free as far as i can tell, actually never have had kids trick or treating at my door in nyc now that i think about it.
Dessert will be a half a unisom with hot tea in about two minutes.

5 Likes

So if you bought really good candy you get it all for yourself! :blush:

5 Likes

I intended to go to bed earlier last night (no kids visit my cul de sac or they didn’t last year so I turned the lights out) but got delayed trying to convince the cats that the basement isn’t so scary. I was hoping if I hung out there, they would start to explore but both seem frightened which is unusual for the very adventurous little one. They were quite excited when I started dinner - tuna egg patties. Super simple - tuna, onions, salt, pepper, eggs and pan fried. They were looking very radioactive last night

2 Likes

Maybe they know there are ghosts down there? :wink:

1 Like

I’ve started a new WFD thread here:

This is as far as they would go, the calico in the corner is the same cat I found in the furnace pipes last year so she’s usually unafraid

1 Like

We had lots of kids in our building in Queens but they never went door-to-door in the building. All of the businesses in the neighborhood hand out candy, so they just walk down the blocks that have a lot of businesses for their trick-or-treating - I assume it’s that way throughout much of the city.

From what i can tell as a kid-free adult yes, they go to businesses here in manhattan unless you’re in a “fancy” neighborhood with small condos and everyone kind of knows each other.

I own a salon on Northern Blvd. in Jackson Heights, and the kids kept coming in from about 3PM (after school was out) until 7PM when we closed. I look forward because we also wrap our card in the bag of candy so the mommies get too see it!

1 Like

Great idea! I lived on Queens Blvd. and it was always fun to see the kids in their costumes (without the annoyance of a ringing doorbell, LOL).

1 Like