What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Fantastic visit to the farmers market yesterday! This is a huge produce growing region and i wanted to buy it ALL. Also kind of adorable in a small town way that some vendors use decorative table clothes

I passed on those but had a few figs with honey and yogurt for breakfast

Lots of cooking this afternoon! I always stock my parents’ freezer when i visit, they requested potato leek and a lentil veggie. All the produce came from yesterday’s farmers market

I had a bowl of the lentil veg for dinner, it cools off a bit in the evenings here. Mom and dad went with potato leek. We all had a slice of that great pumpernickle from the russian bakery on the side, toasted with a bit of garlic and olive oil.
Plenty for the freezer! And dad decided to open some prosecco since i love bubbly and mom does not he saves it for when i come :heart_eyes:

Corn chowder and spinach lasagna rolls are on the itinerary for tomorrow!

9 Likes

BF made tacos out of the leftover chuck steak, seasoned with chipotle, cumin, little red wine vinegar and olive oil before being crisped up. Super yummy. guac, and salad on the side, corn on the cob, too, with a little loroco cheese and cayenne, but too little butter! i fixed that.

7 Likes

What’s your mustard BBQ sauce recipe?

Quick skillet meal last night, shaved sirloin sautéed with garlic, onions, Worcestershire sauce and porcini salt, topped with lazy egg pod poached/steamed eggs and leftover bacon.!

Tonight’s dinner will be sous vide chicken mustard mayo lettuce wraps

4 Likes

I did the bacon wrapped onion rings on the cool side of the grill while I had pollo a la brasa over the coals… SO GOOD! They were great dipped into the aji amarillo cream sauce!

Planned leftovers for dinner tonight so there won’t be any heat in the kitchen. Leftover pollo a la brasa cold makes great lettuce wraps with some added chopped tomatoes and green onuons and drizzled with sauce.

3 Likes

So glad you liked them! I was going to make something else this week but in the interest of September freezer clean out, the Costco bacon has to go so onions it is. I think I’m going to beef up the onion thickness, I found after the long cook that the onion flavor wasn’t enough. I like your dip choice!

1 Like

I sliced them about 1/2" wide and 2 layers of onion thick since I had thick cut bacon, I knew the bacon would take a while and didnt want the onions to be total mush- good onion to bacon ratio.

1 Like

Those are lucious figs!

Homemade meatballs…

10 Likes

Today, had guests for dinner.
Smoked a whole pork butt ( 14.8 lbs) from Costco following Meathead Goldwyn’s recipe from Amazing Rib.com for North Carolina Pulled Pork with vinegar sauce ( 2 kinds of vinegar sauce one with and one without garlic) served with potato sliders using a Mak 1 Pellet Smoker. Store Bought Cole Slaw provided by guests.

The pork at 195 was very tender, had a good bark with smoke ring
Used bear claws to pull them apart
Have a lot of left overs.

Appetizer is spring rolls, dessert is store bought caramel tres leche caramel sponge cake. Pinot Noir beer and Prosecco . Ic cream was also provided. msrc="//hungryonionstatic.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/original/3X/e/b/eb8ab71f5b87b7a59f2c2806131ac49f61967adc.JPG" width=“700” height=“525”>vided but most guest prefer just the tres leches and chocolate chip cookies brought by a guest.

I use Cookin’ Pellet’s Perfect Mix ( Hickory Base with hard maple, cherry and apple) for all my smoking need.
Dry Brined 24 hours prior with kosher salt , 1 tsp insteadf 1/2 tsp salt per pound suggested, ( salt needs time to penetrate the meat) then prior to smoking at 225 degrees, covered with Meathead’s recipe for Memphis Dust( brown sugar, white sugar, paprika, garlic onion ginger black paper and rosemary powder) Rather than using rosemary powder which I reserve for winter use, I laid fresh rosemary inside the butt and on top.
Setpoint at 225. Meat probe set at 195 degrees. I am not computer savvy so, I do not use a Mak MobileApp rather, I go and check the grill every few hours during daytime. For brisket that can take 18 hours, I start smoking at midnight then place the meat in a cambrio rather than have guests waiting for the meat to finish smoking. Some people do not understand that the meat is only done when it gets to certain temp rather than based on time. to cook. To hasten the cooking time, one can always wrap the meat in foil and add some juice to let it braise and steam in its juice during the crutch period when temp stays at 150 for 4-5 hours.This would significantly cut down the cooking time but I prefer a good crusty bark although Meathead claims that you can stick it in the oven to get a crust but I would rather not err. Just have the guests stick around, eat appetizer, drink and wait !
Picture shows a few spring rolls , cooked only as guest arrived, as I wanted them crispy rather than cook a batch ahead of time which would be soggy. Figured 3-4 spring rolls/guest. The picture was just

for 2 guests( busy chatting , overcooked a tad)

9 Likes

That’s a lotta eggs! :hushed: you have a coop in the backyard…??

They’re as delicious as they look! (Note: eating fresh figs while driving is not recommended… hopefully the stain will come out)

3 Likes

I’m trying not to freak out but i fly out saturday morning… ;( gratuitous photo from walking with mom this morning along the coast while she filled me in on a lot of local gossip about people i once knew yet haven’t spoken to or seen in at least a decade… (small town!)

This afternoon i made corn chowder and spinach lasagna rolls with homemade sauce (photo before adding more sauce and baking, there was another smaller pan too!) before my nephew’s soccer game

Mom and dad had lasagna rolls for dinner, i went to my sister’s and she gave me a kombucha making tutorial while we drank wine and grilled veggies from her garden patch (zucchini, eggplant, long onions) and some tofu for me, omni protein for her. Bottled bbq sauce and basic salt/pepper/olive oil for seasoning.

There’s a peanut butter cookie with my name on it for dessert, mom was baking last night!

11 Likes

I absolutely love corn chowder, everything in your photo looks so appealing.

1 Like

I wish!

1 Like

Homemade kombucha is the best! Reminds me, I need to bottle my brew this weekend

1 Like

I think I’ll do wider, I cut about 1/4 inch wide

That is a killer view along the coast. Are there any ticks there?
I love to be outdoor but heard of two cases of tick bites , probably from the lone star tick that causes anaphylactic reaction to red meat and dairy in our area. I always find tick when I am working outdoor. Apparently, it is from a carb that these ticks have called alpha gal

Is the photo Pacific Grove?

1 Like

Wow, you are GOOD. Yes, photo was from PG looking towards monterey

1 Like