What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

So salad was chopped romaine and red radish. I also added the thin sliced white part of a leek, since I had them.

To make the dressing I add two big table spoons of chopped kimchi with juice, a couple of mashed cloves of garlic, a circa tea spoon each of sugar and red pepper paste to taste, two tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, sea salt and (ta da) sesame oil.

It’s meant to be served as a wilted salad. Has great kimchi flavor but also a little more freshness due to the added ingredients. I usually add it to the banchan, but also do it alone with grilled things.

I find romaine stands up really well in a salad of this type, and adds a nice green color, but Napa cabbage also works. Red Radish or Daikon both work. You can also add a little grated carrot, bean sprouts or thin sliced leek if you have them.

I feel your pain!

I didn’t know how to cook when I first met my bf (husband now), he was in charge of cooking for 2 years. He wasn’t bad as a cook (back then), but liked to repeat the same dishes. It was the reason I started learning to cook…

1 Like

Ohmygodthatsounds AMAZING.
And now it’s 7am and i want some for breakfast… !

People do not believe me when I tell them my poms understands a lot of words and expressions.
I belong to the Pom club and was told they know a minimum of 45 words ( I am not quite sure) but dogs may understand up to 165 words.
They do show a lot of intelligence, know when we are discussing that my son is leaving ( or they perceive it when he starts to pack his suitcase a few days before he actually leaves) and my wolfie ( they sleeps with me )would go to my son’s bedroom and want to sleep with him before and after he returns from his trips.
They are aware when I am not feeling well and would cry and lick me all over to sooth my pains ( usually from bites working outdoor)

Oh, my, how excruciating indeed. My condolences!

Ate other things but you have seen them before so here are the latest 2 Vietnamese meals.

I prefer my prawns with heads intact, however during the week I could only get these from the supermarket.

Got a big bunch of dill today.

Have made this many times using different firm (white) fish but we like skate wings more. Marinated and froze because I forgot to get dill last weekend. The dark orange bits are pounded fresh turmeric. Went looking for a type of Vietnamese fermented sauce (like in my photos of this meal in Hanoi posted on another thread) but they don’t have it anymore. Found a Thai version though I was not sure if it’s similar. The colour is certainly not purple like the Vietnamese one.

5 Likes

Are you talking about fermented shrimp paste? The Vietnamese and the Chinese versions look similar (brownish with a tint of purple). Actually how does the Thai version looks like?

The two times we ate in Cha Ca La Vong Hanoi, they served us with nuoc cham. Only the last time in Saigon, it was served with fermented shrimp sauce.

Ohhhh, OUCH.

So much for your son not liking duck fat. :laughing:

Half day at work today so I could “do some stuff” that I won’t have time to do throughput the weekend. Oso of course, it’s gotta rain like a sumbitch, right? Thankfully, only when I was at work or in the car. No dashing out into a parking lot in downpours. But holy frijoles, it went from mostly comfortable to gawdawfully humid! Blech.

Got stuck in traffic coming home from my last stop at my Happy Place, Wegmsns. Wine poured, pork tenderloin seasoned with salt, pepper, and Penzeys Bavaria seasoning and roasted. Added a few brushes of a homemade spicy plum sauce while roasting and spooned a bit more over top after slicing.

Yukon Gold tater tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic-parsley seasoning amd convection roasted. Green beans steamed.

Plated, more wine poured, and everything eaten. Nom, nom, nom.

7 Likes

Hah ! Hah!
i had to ask his permission, used a little less olive oil than I usually do, and did not crisp it as much purposely.’
I like to cook my potatoes after cooking duck is to use the fat to fry the potato after I nuke it a bit in the microwave but son objects to that.
I have so much duck fat in my freezer as I do cook duck often and just hate to throw them away. I would need it for my duck confit casserole in the near future.
I like even better the Maple Duck Legs from Costco… I either cook it in my turbo or in the countertop oven until it is very crispy, serve it with the same soy sauce, garlic vinegar hot pepper dip. I throw away the orange sauce that comes with it. There is no fat at all with the duck legs unlike the breast, which my son takes out. My poms enjoy that! Lucky Poms!

3 Likes

I really like the duck from Costco too (and also pitch the orange sauce out)! Unfortunately it seems to be a seasonal item in my area. I need to be sure I have freezer space the next time they have it in stock.

Scallops, quinoa and blistered green beans. Used corn stock in the quinoa which really gave it a flavor boost

d

12 Likes

In the DC metro area, only certain Costco carries it .Unfortunately, they often run out.
Try to always have 2 packages on hand in my pantry refrigerator for those days that I do not want to cook but eat something I love or have unexpected guests. They do not seem to get spoiled except once when there was mold noticed after storing it for a week but that was because there was a small tear in the vacuum packaging that I did not notice. .

When I do have guest, not knowing what they like for dip, I would use the orange sauce, add cointreau or grand mariner, , have another dp of pomegranate sauce with PAMA pomegranate vodka , and a third dip of my usual soy sauce, vinegar garlic and hot pepper . That just make it more festive.

The tomato plants are now reliably giving us multiple fruit each day. Unlike other years, these tomatoes do taste like fruit with a low acid content which is great for me.

We didn’t want a big meal. It is a nasty kind of humid today. So, BLT’s it was! We rarely eat a sandwich for dinner, and tonight it was perfect.

4 Likes

Home made thin crust pizza with sassage, peppers, onions & mushrooms:

7 Likes

Thai version is not purple, it’s a different type of fermented fish paste.

Vietnamese version is purple, like in photo below, however it’s not this paste. This paste is absolutely delicious and is used in many Viet recipes. A speciality from Vung Tau.

In Hanoi, again. Hanoi style fermented fish paste made into a thin sauce.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look for it.

Still curious, is the Thai paste red colour?

No.

1 Like

Our cherry tomatoes are ripening at a rapid rate. Dinner had to include them in some way. Picked up some ricotta salata and then searched for a “recipe.” Chose to riff on an Epicurious recipe for tomatoes, arugula [which I can’t stand], ricotta salata and oregano. The dressing is a garlic-basalmic emulsion. I only used 2/3’s of the suggested oil. I like to taste the vinegar. And the garlic is local. Pungent but not sharp. Very nice in this dressing.

We ground some beef today and decided to test the new mix in a burger. Served on the last of my homemade rolls. Time to make some dough.

8 Likes