What's for Dinner #23 - 07/2017 - the Summertime Picnic & Grilling Edition

Same struggle here. I’m force feeding to not lose another pound. I had popsicles for dinner.

Last night’s dinner was popsicles. It’s all I could really stomach after a crazy long day and insane heat and humidity. I’ve been making a batch of yogurt popsicles every weekend and they are delightfully refreshing. I’m hoping to find some fresh tuna today (pickings are often slim in Ohio I’m learning) for poke served with avocados that are ready to be eaten.

1 Like

Friday Fish Day.

Gamberi e Tonno all griglia; burro di erbe; linguine prezzemolo, olio e aiglio; insalata di giardino:

Gamberi were the large Patagonia pink, which are absolutely delishus. Tuna steaks were sushi grade from frozen, I left them a little pink inside.

9 Likes

Thanks. Central A/C helps - this was done on the grill pan on the stove.

Tossed together a BLAT salad last night. All the fixings (crumbled bacon, avocado, tomato, sourdough croutons) served over romain, spinach, and some thin sliced yellow squash. Dressing was ranch (buttermilk, plain yogurt, sherry vinegar, lots of black pepper, garlic, and chives). There was wine.

Hoping to crank the a/c and do some cooking this weekend. So far I’ve managed to make the peach jalapeño sauce from Vivian Howard’s Deep Run Roots. The sauce goes on baked chicken, so that’s what will be for dinner.

3 Likes

Grilled red snapper, Herb couscous with parsley mint cilantro and garlic, and a rocket salad with fresh Mandarin oranges and feta:

Btw all of the ingredients except for olive oil, sea salt and the snapper were purchased at Aldi, and the snapper was from Costco. Herbs were from my garden.

6 Likes

Me three. The weather has been disgusting here and I just can’t be bothered. We’ve been living on omelets and rotisserie chickens this week. Tonight was a charcuterie and cheese platter with lots of wine. I need a vacation, pronto!

3 Likes

Peach jalapeño chicken, grits, and collard greens.

7 Likes

Rotisserie sounds perfect for tonight! Thanks for the idea!

It’s been raining* buckets nearly non stop since last night. Dinner at normal time was dark like in the winter. I had literally minutes of natural light to make a couple of photos before darkness fell completely.

Tried another lavash flat bread that’s new to us. Iraqui kind is muuuuuch better.

(*) rain gif image I made. It’s animated.

5 Likes

@Presunto do we live close by ? Raining every day these days

Feels like it because we both have access to good fish/seafood (me being 6 hours ahead of you).

1 Like

The heat finally broke today! I spent the day working in the yard, and busted out the charcoal for dinner. Burgers. Unfortunately, I have a lot to learn about cooking with lump charcoal - I let the coals burn down too far, and didn’t have nearly enough heat for my burgers. I ended up doing a reverse sear, almost - low and slow on the grill until they were medium rareish, then inside on the griddle for a quick sear. Still tasty, especially with caramelized onions and the herby green sauce I made with my garden’s first basil!

Tofu mac and cheese and crudités with tzatziki alongside. It’s amazing what a difference a good night’s sleep and 15 degree cooler weather makes in one’s desire to cook!

6 Likes

We also did burgers on the grill. Home ground, and the meat-whisper knows how to make a might good burger. Some farmers’ market cabbage turned into a vinegar cole slaw and because I was feeling lazy, potato chips from a bag.

We have a local peach for dessert when our stomachs have some room.

1 Like

Yesterday, we had 8 friends over for oysters and crabs.
Lots of Oysters, been giving them away, huge as we had to make way for the new baby ones purchased ( 2500 of them)
initially,

requested to make paella but asked to defrost my Sate Babe to grill that instead
Here are some pictures but the food were prepared in sequences as guest stayed for about 6- hours.
Had cheese platter , cucumber chinese style with soy, vinegar, date puti coconut spiced vinegar, romain lettuce with data puti, corn on the con ( no pictures taken)
Lots of Oysters, probably 4 trays and still some left over last night which we gave away 2 dozen at a time and again today as we just cannot finish them ( my son and me. ) Wish I have chinese chives and make Oh Chien. But, I am too tired. My son is going to give 4 dozen away again today as he is leaving again Wednesday for Amsterdam and prefer Spaghetti tomorrow.
I do not have cooked picture of Sate Babe which I served later in the evening as they were eaten as they were taken off the grill. Sate pictures ( 3 pounds) were taken before I froze them last week

10 Likes

There’s a new whole foods that finally opened in my neighborhood! (Was delayed time and again …)
The other close option is a crummy market so it’s fantastic that i can get fresh produce and good tofu without going to another neighborhood.
I bought some of my favorite white kimchi (i’m a spice wimp!), and that fantastic Hodo tofu that isn’t easy to find as well as a daikon to make this radish kimchi sesame salad. I made a few changes, i used my chinese sesame paste since i don’t have a mortar and pestle, swapped in arugala as the greens, and used less oil in the dressing. I also added in some cubed plain firm Hodo tofu to make it a meal salad.
Ummmm… this is AMAZING. The kimchi and sesame combo is something i never would have put together

6 Likes

I ended my fried seafood (vacation) binge with soft shell crabs. The pool was closed for the afternoon so I decided upon an early dinner. Consequently I was the only one in the place at 4pm and think the cook was not usually the fry person. Soft shells were delicious but a tad too greasy. Lesson learned.

Paid for the fried food indulgence for a few days once home but it was worth it!:blush:

It’s been ungodly hot so existing on cold items. Various salads and sandwiches mainly.

I was preparing vichyssoise last week and decided upon a new approach. I steamed rather than simmered the potatoes and set them aside. Then simmered the leeks in chicken stock. Blitzed the leeks with an immersion blender then riced the potatoes into the pot , rewarmed and seasoned. Added cream. The result was more rustic and much more potato flavor. I like both methods.

A storm moved through this evening lowering the temperature by 15 degrees before the rain began. After several days of 99 and over 87 felt heavenly. With the sun no longer pounding upon my kitchen I was able to begin my weekly cooking several hours earlier!

Strawberries were turned into the beginnings of jam and topping for shortcake. Veggies were cleaned, prepped or crisped for salads, etc. A tomato pie was made with leeks, roasted garlic, assorted cherry/grape tomatoes and boursin cheese. Zucchini salad and black bean, corn, avodado salad made. Corn cobs to become stock tomorrow.

I had succumbed to Amazon Prime Day and purchased a rigid plastic container, hinged lid with a cut-out for the circulator and an accordian gizmo for keeping packets upright and seperated for my sous vide endeavors. Broke them out to prepare a beautiful piece of tuna (finally had some available that wouldn’t feed a family of 6!) from Costco. I went simple and just added a little olive oil to the bag. Cooked at 105 F for 30 min. and then seared in a hot cast iron grill pan for a minute or so on each side. Perfectly cooked and delicious. A little higher grill temp. would have added more color but my smoke detector is overly viligant…Served with a tartar sauce of capers, parsley, white balsmic, white pepper and just enough mayo to bind. Sides were fresh tomato and leftovers of an eggplant, potato, chayote tian with roasted garlic made earlier in the week. I’d never cooked chayote before but it was quite nice in the mix. Want to explore this vegetable more. As a solo cook I like that they are small! Have enough tuna for two more meals which will be nice coming home from work to.

Sigh… wonderful to have it cool enough to actually make something more than a sandwich!

10 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was sous vide pork tenderloin with a mustard, honey and soy marinade [and sauce], local green beans and sweet potato latkes. For dessert our first local peach of the season! Not a bad dinner and the suitable amount of potassium.

Enjoying the cooler weather though the rain and winds are unfortunate.

7 Likes

It sounds like you have busy in the kitchen since you’ve been back! The weather really affects what i want to eat/cook too, glad it cooled enough to bake that great sounding tomato pie.
Chayote is great! I actually like it better raw than cooked, makes a good slaw or in thin slices for salads or whatever.

1 Like

Thanks! That will help with future experiments.

1 Like